No announcement yet.

Prop 8 Has Been Overturned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The countdown clock for Temple Marriages has just started ticking. It won't be long before we "get married" at the courthouse, and "get sealed" in the temple. It's already the norm in many parts of the world and will soon be the only way it's done in any temple. Sealers (and Bishops) will no longer have any "power vested in (them) by the State of XXXX." The Church will be strictly out of the marriage business...

Comment

Originally posted by statman View Post
      The countdown clock for Temple Marriages has just started ticking. It won't be long before we "get married" at the courthouse, and "get sealed" in the temple. It's already the norm in many parts of the world and will soon be the only way it's done in any temple. Sealers (and Bishops) will no longer have any "power vested in (them) by the State of XXXX." The Church will be strictly out of the marriage business...
      That's how my wife and I did it 10 years ago...

Comment

Originally posted by scandell View Post
        That's how my wife and I did it 10 years ago...
        Say WHAAAAAAAT?

Oh, your parents, right?
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I really feel like I should care about this issue more than I do. I'm strangely indifferent. I'm not sure Prop 8 was necessarily bigoted nor do I feel this is the end of the world as we know...I feel fine.
          Last edited by Art Vandelay; 08-04-2010, 03:19 PM. Reason: Because I'm stupid

Comment

Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
              I really feel like I should care about this issue more than I do. I'm strangely indifferent. I'm not sure Prop 8 was racial bigotry nor do I feel like this is the end of the world as we know...I feel fine.
              Racial bigotry? Art, we need to talk. Gay is not a race.
              "I'm going to go back to CUF now, where the censorship is less, the average IQ is higher, and we don't have to deal with so much of this nonsense. Goodbye." - SoonerCoug

Comment

I just heard on the radio that the judge that overturned it is openly gay.
                "I'm going to go back to CUF now, where the censorship is less, the average IQ is higher, and we don't have to deal with so much of this nonsense. Goodbye." - SoonerCoug

Comment

Originally posted by The Fourth Nephite View Post
                  Racial bigotry? Art, we need to talk. Gay is not a race.
                  No wonder this whole thing confuses me. Oops, I will use the creekster excuse and blame my fingers.

Comment

My 6th grader came home today and told me he heard this while on a trip to Boston, listening to a Yankee game on his transistor radio, when he heard about the prop 8 decision. He said this is a day he will remember in 30 years...
                    Not that, sickos.

Comment

No wonder this whole thing confuses me. Oops, I will use the creekster excuse and blame my fingers.
                      I thought Creekster was blaming his canard? Scratch that, he was probably blaming his canary.
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                        I promise you, the Church has plans in place for this to happen. They anticipate that the change will have to come and are prepared for it. All it takes is the removal of a few words from teh marriage ceremony and having to bring a civil marriage certificate to the temple with you when you are sealed. At this poin, I think the change is inevitable, and probably not too far off.

Comment

I really feel like I should care about this issue more than I do. I'm strangely indifferent. I'm not sure Prop 8 was necessarily bigoted nor do I feel this is the end of the world as we know...I feel fine.
                          Agreed. Heck, I live in California and I really don't care. I do care that I will have to hear people bitch and moan about it at church on Sunday, but other than that I am not so concerned.

Comment

I promise you, the Church has plans in place for this to happen. They anticipate that the change will have to come and are prepared for it. All it takes is the removal of a few words from teh marriage ceremony and having to bring a civil marriage certificate to the temple with you when you are sealed. At this poin, I think the change is inevitable, and probably not too far off.
                            Personally, I think that would be great. No more denying friends and relatives access to marriages involving LDS couples. Win-win.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                Personally, I think that would be great. No more denying friends and relatives access to marriages involving LDS couples. Win-win.
                                Yeah, why haven't we been doing this for years, other than the fact that we'd have to spend more on weddings for chapels and such. I'm renting my daughter out a big Catholic or Protestant affair - ain't no way she's having a ceremony in some ratty cultural hall right after the Pinewood Derby.

Comment

Working...
                                X