No announcement yet.

Prop 8 Has Been Overturned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone hasn't studied the church's name style guide! (around the one minute mark):

"...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
    - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Applejack View Post
      This is undoubtedly true, but in the context that uncle Ted is talking about "liability", he's saying that the church has to worry about the threat of a lawsuit from gays refused the right to marry in the temple, presumably. I doubt that the church would settle such a suit, especially since it would be thrown out by any court that gets such a meritless suit.
      Yeah, maybe the church wouldn't have to worry about a lawsuit over the right to marry in the temple especially considering they haven't be given anything (gift or special consideration or otherwise) from the government, like State Street and turned it into a park to make temple square a rectangle. Hey, I wonder if the city would let me turn the street by my house into a park. I mean, I wouldn't be asking for a special consideration or anything.
      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
        Yeah, maybe the church wouldn't have to worry about a lawsuit over the right to marry in the temple especially considering they haven't be given anything (gift or special consideration or otherwise) from the government, like State Street and turned it into a park to make temple square a rectangle. Hey, I wonder if the city would let me turn the street by my house into a park. I mean, I wouldn't be asking for a special consideration or anything.
        can someone interpret this for me. I don't understand what point ted is making. I assume it's about Hillary, but can't be sure without irrelevant links.

Comment

• Originally posted by Applejack View Post
          can someone interpret this for me. I don't understand what point ted is making. I assume it's about Hillary, but can't be sure without irrelevant links.
          I am sorry, I forgot I have to speak slow. Maybe this example would be easier to understand... Say BYU takes some federal money, you know, for doing some research or something. Now someone, say from the University of Utah, gets upset that (1) BYU discriminates against gays and (2) that BYU gets money for being so smart from the government. So this someone from the University of Utah, who suffers from a reduced mental capacity and is not so smart, gets the ACLU or someone to sue BYU to play nice and not pick on the gays, or not take any kind of government funding or get any other type of consideration from the government. The best outcome, of course, would be if BYU lets married gay folk attend BYU and then BYU gets an invite from the PAC 12 and kicks Utah out.
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Bishop Barron on religious freedom under attack in California:

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
              I'd love to see examples of this happening. It is a boogeyman without even real support. I do doubt that there is any real risk to religions.
              Maybe start with the Masterpiece Cake Shop case. I don't agree with what the cake shop owner did there at all, but the Supreme Court seemed to think he was subject to religious discrimination. In fact, they explicitly said so. So maybe it isn't totally made up after all.

Comment

• I couldn't find a gayer thread so I'm putting this here

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CYwbqm8..._web_copy_link

This is probably the most raw and honest expression of the issues of the church's stance on LGBT and how that affects people in reality. I listened to the whole thing on my drive home last night and the whole time I kept thinking "What are we doing to these people" and frankly, it made me more upset than ever about the current doctrine and policy. Add in the fact that my one of my daughter's issues with the church is the treatment of people who identify as LGBT and I honestly have no way to argue against that or debate it since I agree with her.

At what point are we going to open up the full membership of the Gospel to the LGBT group? David Archuleta is about as high profile celebrity as you can get, excluding GAs of course. I mean, he very eloquently explains the issues with the church's policy/doctrine and he does it in a faithful manner. I can't imagine anyone listening to this soliloquy and coming away thinking the current policy/doctrine is inspired.

Here's to hoping David gets what he needs and that the church moves quicker in providing full acceptance of LGBTers, or at least gay marriage. I mean, accepting gay marriage is the least they could do and it would go a long way.
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• He's a good dude. I think it's rough on many the way it seems like the church takes a step or 2 forward, only to then take a step back. I know a lot of people who are connected one way or another to the LGBTQ community and want to embrace the church, but feel a little like it's an abusive relationship and that every time they try to get close they get punched in the face.

​​​​​​https://variety.com/2021/music/featu...on-1235129586/

Comment

• Elder Gong wouldn’t take a picture with his kid and partner, church ain’t changing until the current crop of leaders has moved on.

Comment

• Originally posted by fusnik View Post
                      Elder Gong wouldn’t take a picture with his kid and partner, church ain’t changing until the current crop of leaders has moved on.
                      Well...he TOOK the photo. He just didn't want anyone to POST the photo.

Baby steps, baby steps...

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                        He's a good dude. I think it's rough on many the way it seems like the church takes a step or 2 forward, only to then take a step back. I know a lot of people who are connected one way or another to the LGBTQ community and want to embrace the church, but feel a little like it's an abusive relationship and that every time they try to get close they get punched in the face.

​​​​​​https://variety.com/2021/music/featu...on-1235129586/
                        Stockholm Syndrome. I feel bad for him, the same way I feel bad for battered women who stay in abusive relationships.
                        "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                          Here's to hoping David gets what he needs and that the church moves quicker in providing full acceptance of LGBTers, or at least gay marriage. I mean, accepting gay marriage is the least they could do and it would go a long way.
                          I recently heard somewhere (maybe it was your podcast ) a middle way for the church to accept gay members within the gospel framework. It had to do with the lower 2 degrees of heaven, and allowing gay members official fellowship and even marriage, but relegating them to the lower degrees since they wouldn't be able to have eternal progeny. I mean it still is not full fellowship, but it would be a start.

"...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                          - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post

I recently heard somewhere (maybe it was your podcast ) a middle way for the church to accept gay members within the gospel framework. It had to do with the lower 2 degrees of heaven, and allowing gay members official fellowship and even marriage, but relegating them to the lower degrees since they wouldn't be able to have eternal progeny. I mean it still is not full fellowship, but it would be a start.
                            lol. separate and not equal.
                            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post

lol. separate and not equal.
                              Well yeah. Just a little less separate and unequal than they currently are...
                              - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post

I don't think that would go well

The current view is that anyone, including LBGT, can receive Celestial glory, so any sort of announcement that they are "relegated" to lower glories would create a firestorm of biblical proportions.

Comment

Working...
                                X