Apple and AT&T's strained relationship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple and AT&T's strained relationship

Apparently Wired is about to publish an article about Apple and AT&T's relationship... This should be good reading. Kind of like tabloid celebrity gossip for nerds.

Apple and AT&T's strained relationship almost ended (a few times)

It’s no secret that since the iPhone’s first launch, that AT&T’s network has taken a hit. A report that will shortly be published by Wired details a number of occasions where the two mobile industry giants clashed on certain topics and plans. ZDnet got hold of the August issue, and found a story titled #ATTFail. It’s pretty much a huge reveal on just how badly AT&T suffered as a result of the iPhone’s release. With non-connecting calls, and very many complaints, Apple actually considered ending the partnership and creating a CDMA version of the iPhone for Verizon.

The article sheds light on a few different occasions. One is that Jobs, according to Apple staff spoke about ditching AT&T many times. Only after seriously looking in to creating a CDMA device, it was found that the cost would be too high, as the whole thing would need to be redesigned to fit the new chip. Rumors from sources state though, that Jobs has been in contact with Qualcomm (who make chips), to design a chip that will work with both GSM and CDMA carriers. (Exciting, no?)

Jobsy’s crew also disagreed with AT&T charging customers extra for tethering, and felt it should have been included within the unlimited data plan. The carrier took another issue; again to do with chips and towers. The radio chip used to detect signal was made be Infineon, which the network stated would lead to lower signal. It was suggested to Apple that the companies should work together at sorting this issue. Cupertino’s response: “No, you resolve them. They’re not our problem. They’re your problem.”

The companies even disagreed on insignificant things, like Steve-O’s dress code. Apparently he was asked to wear a suit to meet with the AT&T board. A response from his deputy simply read: “We’re Apple. We don’t wear suits. We don’t even own suits.”
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I smell a B-school case in the making.

Comment

Working...
    X