Page 3 of 258 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: I learned in church today

Golf & Cubs Disrespecter beelzebabette's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by statman View Post
    Get it on MP3 and speed up the playback. I bet you can do it in 22 hours...
    I tried doing this with movies on the laptop. Then I realized I was dreaming in double time and started talking too fast. I stopped before I went crazy. Er, completely crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by beelzebabette View Post
    I tried doing this with movies on the laptop. Then I realized I was dreaming in double time and started talking too fast. I stopped before I went crazy. Er, completely crazy.
    THose weren't dreams, they were extractions in progress. The slow speed is the only real dream.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    You should have gone to Donut or falafel's ward.
    Maybe I did.

By the way, DH has excellent restaurant advice for Vegas.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by SuperGabers View Post
    Has to be both... Pray tell, fus. Give us some more context...
    We were talking about the celestial family construct and the proper roles of men and women. A gentlemen in the class said that women need to be in the home to give children the proper love and emotional caring. After this a brother commented that he is scared by the woman CEO and thinks most are evil because, 'to make it in business today you have to be cold hearted and a woman would have to be much more cold hearted than a man because, well she's a woman.'

When we left my wife said, I feel like we were in the Hoy Tub Time Machine and woke up in 1954.

My ex-Bishop subbed in Sunday School on Sunday. He said he didn't want to bring politics into it, and them compared Obama to Jeroboam.

Quote Originally Posted by fusnik View Post
    We were talking about the celestial family construct and the proper roles of men and women. A gentlemen in the class said that women need to be in the home to give children the proper love and emotional caring. After this a brother commented that he is scared by the woman CEO and thinks most are evil because, 'to make it in business today you have to be cold hearted and a woman would have to be much more cold hearted than a man because, well she's a woman.'

When we left my wife said, I feel like we were in the Hoy Tub Time Machine and woke up in 1954.
    This is wrong on various levels, but I will mention one.

To make it in business today you have to be cold hearted. That generalization though I don't think is too uncommon throughout our culture. How often do we hear about men pursuing wealth instead of the "more important" things. When Andy Reid's boys were in trouble a lot of CBers blamed Reid's pursuit of the $$ for the kids problems. I even hear from the pulpit condemnation of the pursuit of material things.

At the same time we pay honor to our people who succeed financially. Without them, how much of the "work" would go forward.

Buildings are named after the Marriott's, Huntsman and Miller's of the church.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Thread winner thus far.
    Reminds me of this tee shirt:

All of the apostles have physically seen Jesus else they wouldn't be able to be special witnesses of Christ.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Jones View Post
    All of the apostles have physically seen Jesus else they wouldn't be able to be special witnesses of Christ.
    I don't remember when I stopped believing that, but I know as teenager I couldn't think of what else a "special witness" could possibly be.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
    I don't remember when I stopped believing that, but I know as teenager I couldn't think of what else a "special witness" could possibly be.
    IN my favorite BKP talk he sort of said that it isn't necessarily the case, as far as I heard it.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
    yeah, isn't that what's taught at seminary, through the missionary discussions and in the gospel principles manual? That seems to be one of those fundamental differences that makes Mormonism unique. Ordinary average guys who speak with Jesus every once in a while.
    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
    Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

I was told that Elder Scott said in the WWTB that "HE KNEW" the Savior.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    He did in fact say that. I am not sure exactly what he meant by "knew" but it was quite comforting for me to hear him say it.

Yes, this was brought up along with BRM's last talk as well. We were taught that the brethren have seen the Lord, but they can't tell us outright (not sure why but I'm glad we didn't go into this) so they use cryptic-type messages to convey this fact.....good thing Joseph didn't take this route.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

He's the worst at doing this. If you've seen him, just say it, RGS! He came to my dad's stake 7 months ago and made similar statements, which got the stake buzzing. He gives me the creeps, though, so I may be biased against him.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Quote Originally Posted by RedSox View Post
    He's the worst at doing this. If you've seen him, just say it, RGS! He came to my dad's stake 7 months ago and made similar statements, which got the stake buzzing. He gives me the creeps, though, so I may be biased against him.
    When he said that "he knew him" it didn't seem to me that he was implying that he had seen him. It felt like he was comfortable with his personal relationship with the saviour and that he had come to know him through study, good works, etc. That was my personal take on it at least when I heard him say it. As I mentioned before, it was quite comforting to hear him say it and strengthened my resolve to live a better life.

Philosopher of Men Sleeping in EQ's Avatar

It feels like strategic ambiguity to me. In the 19th century, Mormon leaders were candid about such things.
    We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

I'd be interested to see how they translate his remarks into Spanish and Portuguese.

If they use "Yo sé cómo es el Señor" or "Eu sei como é o Senhor"
    that's completely and utterly different from "Yo conozco al Señor" and "Eu conheço ao Senhor."

Conocer implies personal experiential knowledge. It's meaning is both tacit and implicit. And, Scott speaks Spanish, and will know what he means.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

I'd be interested to see how they translate his remarks into Spanish and Portuguese.

that's completely and utterly different from "Yo conozco al Señor" and "Eu conheço ao Senhor."

Conocer implies personal experiential knowledge. It's meaning is both tacit and implicit. And, Scott speaks Spanish, and will know what he means.
    I agree. That translation will be very interesting.

As I understand how the translations work, the translators themselves did the translations for the talks they were covering. The person that told me this translated in the 90s, so things could have changed. If Elder Scott doesn't translate it himself, the translation probably reflects the translator's understanding rather than Elder Scott's.
    Not that, sickos.

Quote Originally Posted by thesaint258 View Post
    As I understand how the translations work, the translators themselves did the translations for the talks they were covering. The person that told me this translated in the 90s, so things could have changed. If Elder Scott doesn't translate it himself, the translation probably reflects the translator's understanding rather than Elder Scott's.
    It's very easy for me to see why Spanish-speaking members are often confused about Church doctrine. Maybe if we had a Spanish-speaking (native) Apostle, things could improve. Seguimos esperando.

Scott normally has his GC talks pre-recorded in Spanish, so I'm guessing that he'll be the translator. Either way, if the translator does publish it a certain way, a letter to CHQ asking for clarification might be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
    It feels like strategic ambiguity to me.
    Oftentimes I wonder if they know just what they are doing in cases like this or if they are just outright oblivious. I want to believe the latter, at least for my sake. However, maybe I'm the crazy one for not reading into their message and coming away with something that maybe actually has happened.

My stake seems to be incredibly desirous of seeing the Lord. We've had talks on how to see him so this is nothing new. Suffice it to say that I didn't utter a peep during the lesson on Sunday.

He gives me the creeps, though, so I may be biased against him.

Not sure why this is. Some of it is his statements. Some of it is his delivery. But, mostly, I think it's his overly keen awareness of camera angles. Also, his shaky-serious voice. Almost a toned-down scolding.

He gives me the creeps, though, so I may be biased against him.
    The stare?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Portland Ute View Post

Not sure why this is. Some of it is his statements. Some of it is his delivery. But, mostly, I think it's his overly keen awareness of camera angles. Also, his shaky-serious voice. Almost a toned-down scolding.
    Add to it that he's always been the one to deliver the sexual sin talks.

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Add to it that he's always been the one to deliver the sexual sin talks.
    I love Elder Scott.

If you haven't been asked to be the witness couple at the temple, you need to ask yourself why and then change whatever isn't right.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    If you haven't been asked to be the witness couple at the temple, you need to ask yourself why and then change whatever isn't right.
    Who said that? It's true, sure, but did somebody actually say that?

Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    If you feel proud when you are asked to be the witness couple at the temple, you need to ask yourself why and then change whatever isn't right.
    "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
    "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
    "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    Who said that? It's true, sure, but did somebody actually say that?
    Today's theme for Sac was forgiveness. A woman was speaking about some of her experiences and noted that she was frustrated while in the temple and she couldn't figure out why she and her husband were not chosen. She said the session was small and she had a distinct impression that they were going to he picked. When they were not, she was upset. Later,she realized she hadn't forgiven so and so from awhile back. The next time she went to the temple, she and her husband were picked.

We don't have a cuckoo for cocoa puffs emoticon (I think we need one and jeff Lebowski has recently shown a willingness to add to our growing lexicon) but if we were to have one, I'd insert it here and now.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.