I learned in church today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    When you throw your hand up to sustain someone, do you look around the chapel at the people being sustained or do you just keep eyes front and sustain in focus? Specifically, do you ever turn around and look behind you to see the person being sustained?

I noticed today that when people look around, they often throw out an additional, non-doctrinal sustaining smile towards the person in question, i guess as a way to show direct support for the person being called.

I dont do the sustaining smile but today I shot my hand up before the Bishop had even finished the "all those in favor" part because I wanted to be the first person to sustain. It was a good solid several seconds before he was done. Even though I didn't look back or smile, I like to think that the person being called saw my support and felt edified.
    You have given me much to think about here. Beginning next week, I'm going to devote more attention not only to the timing, but also to the elevation, of my sustaining vote. Callings about which I am most enthused will receive a straight-armed perfectly vertical vote, perhaps with even a little hand rotation, as if one were trying to get the teacher's attention. My hand will move lower down the y axis for less exciting candidates; those receiving my most tepid support may not clear shoulder level. I can see a few receiving little more than a hand thrown casually off to the side, as if I were shooing away a bothersome child.

I see some rich possibilities with timing as well. Rather than jump ahead of the count, I might wait until nanoseconds before the "any opposed by the same sign" call, then lower it, but not so quickly as to dispel doubt as to which way I was voting.

Comment

• We had the best Sacrament meeting today in Hartsville than we've had since I've lived here. The first two speakers were recent converts, baptized the same day (one in New York, the other in Colorado) and they shared their conversion experiences, which were completely different from each other, but both heartfelt and edifying. The bishop closed with a talk about a Pentecostal experience like the Apostles had, raising his voice so loudly at one point when he became excited that my wife later told me she had never heard someone scream so loudly from the pulpit before.

I will remember this day for a long time.
      "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
        That's when you freestyle on some fringe topic.
        Oooh perfect place to post this...

"I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• It's been two years since my last temple recommend interview. It sure seems the church is trying to flush the quail from the brush with some very pointed questions about sustaining the current system of church government. I used to toe the line and lock step my answers with a full heart, but after hearing and seeing the anguish of of the CUF/CS brother and sisterhood I could see where a lot of you are coming from. Interesting that CS and you guys would be on my mind in the middle of a temple interview. I'll report again in two years hence.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
          -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
            It's been two years since my last temple recommend interview. It sure seems the church is trying to flush the quail from the brush with some very pointed questions about sustaining the current system of church government. I used to toe the line and lock step my answers with a full heart, but after hearing and seeing the anguish of of the CUF/CS brother and sisterhood I could see where a lot of you are coming from. Interesting that CS and you guys would be on my mind in the middle of a temple interview. I'll report again in two years hence.
            I'm curious: have the questions changed? I'm due in 2 months.
            "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
              You have given me much to think about here. Beginning next week, I'm going to devote more attention not only to the timing, but also to the elevation, of my sustaining vote. Callings about which I am most enthused will receive a straight-armed perfectly vertical vote, perhaps with even a little hand rotation, as if one were trying to get the teacher's attention. My hand will move lower down the y axis for less exciting candidates; those receiving my most tepid support may not clear shoulder level. I can see a few receiving little more than a hand thrown casually off to the side, as if I were shooing away a bothersome child.

I see some rich possibilities with timing as well. Rather than jump ahead of the count, I might wait until nanoseconds before the "any opposed by the same sign" call, then lower it, but not so quickly as to dispel doubt as to which way I was voting.
              i once sustained with the "so-so" hand gesture (not sure what it is called but it is made with the hand extended outward, palm flat, fingers spread and rotating on the axis of the wrist). People behind me laughed.
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                Oooh perfect place to post this...

Absolutely awesome vid, Commando, in more ways than I can count.
                Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost.
                --William Blake, via Shpongle

Comment

• Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
                  I'm curious: have the questions changed? I'm due in 2 months.
                  No. The only thing that has changed is there was a change made to the document about 'proper wearing' of the garment (it now includes specific language about wearing your garments while engaged in yard-work).
                  Last edited by pelagius; 08-25-2013, 08:30 PM.

Comment

• I learned that I'll likely never be called as EQP
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• I learned in church today

Originally posted by pelagius View Post
                      No, the questions are the same. The only thing that has changed is there was a change made to the document about 'proper wearing' of the garment (it now includes specific language about wearing your garments while engaged in yard-work).
                      That one always makes me smile a little. I can't really decide why. I do like that three paragraph statement. It seems to forestall all the questions that might come up, by teaching principles and leaving decisions to the individual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
                      Last edited by LA Ute; 08-25-2013, 09:00 PM.
                      “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                      ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                      -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                      --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• I learned it is the rare individual who can cut their talk short when given 0 minutes thanks to the speaker before them.

I also learned that if someone acknowledges they have no time left, they will go on for at least 15 minutes past that point.

Furthermore, in my ward, the bishop will be so pleased with the results of the final two speakers, he will recap their talks for another five minutes before closing the meeting.

This is difficult on nursery kids who are already at the end of their rope by the closing song of a normal sacrament meeting.

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                          I like your game. I think I'm going to try it, although I often don't stand up for the rest hymn.

I have been playing a similar game for years wherein I try to either be the last person to show up for sacrament or the first person to leave for home after sacrament is over.
                          Or?! What's that about? If there was ever a time for an and, this is it. I expect you to the new game of being the last to arrive for sacrament AND the first person to leave afterwards.
                          I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Soccermom View Post
                            Let us know when you play and win both games on the same Sunday. Any given Sunday. . .
                            I really should read through the whole thread before commenting.
                            I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Originally posted by SandYFan View Post
                              I learned it is the rare individual who can cut their talk short when given 0 minutes thanks to the speaker before them.

I also learned that if someone acknowledges they have no time left, they will go on for at least 15 minutes past that point.

Furthermore, in my ward, the bishop will be so pleased with the results of the final two speakers, he will recap their talks for another five minutes before closing the meeting.

This is difficult on nursery kids who are already at the end of their rope by the closing song of a normal sacrament meeting.
                              HAHA 5 min into overtime, I always surrender and take my nursery guy out-- if it's a rare week when we are still in the chapel at that point of the sacrament meeting.

Comment

• I play a similar game that drives Mrs. D crazy. I call it "last clap". It's great to play in settings where "reverent" clapping is allowed (I.e a piano concert, symphony, music recital, choir performance, dinner banquet, etc.-- obviously doesn't work real well at sporting events and such). Much like your game, the goal is to be the last person clapping. The clapping must be continuous, however; singular, isolated claps don't count. The clapping must also be reasonably audible-golf clapping is cheating. Each event presents the opportunity for several rounds, and by the end of the event you will almost certainly have someone openly competing with you.
                                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Working...
                                X