I learned in church today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by byu71 View Post
    Am I out of touch with current teachings to the youth and my feelings come from a day gone by?

One reason I think not, but it may be isolated. I have a granddaughter who is an excellent soccer player, never had less than an A in her life and always attends her church meetings. However, she and her parents agreed to have her play in a soccer tournament and miss girls camp. They were visited by the YM's presidency and basically told the choice they were making could lead to their daughter going on a wayward path. Right there in front of my granddaughter. Luckily my daughter in law handles these things better than my son and the ladies were treated politely and told their concern was appreciated, but she was going to the soccer event. Again, this could be an isolated incident.
    I think things are getting better. I had a similar thing occur with my daughter. She misses a lot of church and YW activites because of select softball. The YW leaders approached the Bishop about it and together we had a very good discussion. A few highlights of the discussion:

There is another YW in the stake that also misses church activites because she is part of a select ballet troupe. She is often used as an example of dedication to develop one's talents. I mentioned that we don't usually get to choose our gifts and often to develop these gifts we have to make difficult choices that require sacrifice. I also mention the positive aspects of playing a sport at a high level or being part of such a select group in that YW learn leadership, dedication, teamwork, learn from example, and often make close friends. The YW leaders seemed to "get it" and are trying to help where ever they can. At least we didn't get the "wayward path" line. There is a stake softball tournement coming up. My daughter won't be able to play in it because of a her own tournament conflict but she will be insturcting the rest of the YW in an upcoming activity on softball fundamentals: hitting, throwing, fielding, baserunning, etc.
    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• Originally posted by SandYFan View Post
      I have never once been taught that LDS kids should not play with non-LDS kids, and I was raised in, and live in, Salt Lake County.

My kids play with whoever in the neighborhood. As the other side of my street is in a different stake, I have no idea which kids are LDS and who are not and it doesn't matter.
      We've never worried about if the kids were LDS or not - as much as what they were doing and the standards in the home. We have one son that after spending some time at a friend's home, started talking about the M rated video games they liked to play with his older brother and the R rated movies they watched that afternoon (my son didn't know the ratings, of course. But when he mentioned the games/movies, we recognized them.) As we didn't feel these were appropriate for a 7 year-old, decided that we would prefer they play at our home or at a third child's home, where we knew this wouldn't happen.

Unfortunately, as time went by they ended up spending less and less time together and rarely do more than say "hi" in passing anymore. (What can I say - the kid preferred playing M games with his older bro to playing Y7 games with our son.) I could see the parents feeling that our son doesn't play with theirs due to them being inactive and him not being baptized. Except our son has other non-member friends he spends a lot of time with.

Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
      I think things are getting better. I had a similar thing occur with my daughter. She misses a lot of church and YW activites because of select softball. The YW leaders approached the Bishop about it and together we had a very good discussion. A few highlights of the discussion:

There is another YW in the stake that also misses church activites because she is part of a select ballet troupe. She is often used as an example of dedication to develop one's talents. I mentioned that we don't usually get to choose our gifts and often to develop these gifts we have to make difficult choices that require sacrifice. I also mention the positive aspects of playing a sport at a high level or being part of such a select group in that YW learn leadership, dedication, teamwork, learn from example, and often make close friends. The YW leaders seemed to "get it" and are trying to help where ever they can. At least we didn't get the "wayward path" line. There is a stake softball tournement coming up. My daughter won't be able to play in it because of a her own tournament conflict but she will be insturcting the rest of the YW in an upcoming activity on softball fundamentals: hitting, throwing, fielding, baserunning, etc.
      I think that sometimes people miss the point of the program. Is YM/YW there to help the youth? Or are the youth there to make sure YM/YW keeps functioning? If the youth are doing well, feeling supported, have friends and fellowship, but are also involved in sports or other talents - then leave it alone. Obviously you make sure they are invited - and they'll likely come when they can if all that is in place. I worry more about the less active kids who don't attend anything - and who might be more likely to attend an activity than a Sunday church meeting. But at that point you've got to be careful when talking to them about taking the "wrong path".

Comment

• Geez, the guy saying the opening prayer for PH just asked God to help us remember to be "watchmen on the tower". I don't want to be a watchman. Give me a break.
        "I'm going to go back to CUF now, where the censorship is less, the average IQ is higher, and we don't have to deal with so much of this nonsense. Goodbye." - SoonerCoug

Comment

• Originally posted by The Fourth Nephite View Post
          Geez, the guy saying the opening prayer for PH just asked God to help us remember to be "watchmen on the tower". I don't want to be a watchman. Give me a break.
          But, how do you feel about being on a tower?
          Get confident, stupid
          -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
            But, how do you feel about being on a tower?
            He could be a joker, or a thief.
            "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

• I learned that I still have the humor of a 12 year old kid. One of the kids in my primary class just made a peace sign with his right hand and then began flicking his tongue back and forth in the web between his fingers directed towards the chorister (who would make GN blush). I chuckled a bit loud and was given the stank eye from the primary prez. Oh well.
              I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

• Pres Uchtdorf gave a talk about light and dark, told a story about someone who grew up in the dark and called her "Jane". Jane grew up in the dark, Bane grew up in the dark. Uchtdorf is a Batman fan.

Nobody was teaching this, I just learned it by the spirit.
                Get confident, stupid
                -landpoke

Comment

• Russell was visiting our ward today for his great grandchild's baby blessing. He spoke for about 3 minutes and used part of those few minutes to speak out against gay marriage. He talked about the "antiquity" of marriage and how marriage started with Adam and Eve, long before there were laws about marriage. As he was saying that I was sure he was going to bust out the "marriage started with Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve" line. I was a little disappointed.
                  I'm like LeBron James.
                  -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                    I learned that I still have the humor of a 12 year old kid. One of the kids in my primary class just made a peace sign with his right hand and then began flicking his tongue back and forth in the web between his fingers directed towards the chorister (who would make GN blush). I chuckled a bit loud and was given the stank eye from the primary prez. Oh well.
                    I have an intern right now that does this, minus the tongue flicking, an it drives me nuts. He doesn't do it intentionally, but I can't look at him or take him seriously because of it.

Comment

• I learned I am going to be assistant physical facilities representative in my new ward. Not a bad gig. Walk over to the building to empty the recycle bins and trash cans a couple times a week. Maybe organize cleaning crews when it is our turn. Good thing is I get a key. Thus I have already been inspired that much more basketball will be played st the Harlem church building.

Comment

• I'm at a military branch full of transient soldiers in training--mostly young privates. Kids say the darnedest things...

One of them taught priesthood and mentioned that it's not our place to kill, it's God's--and we're just tools in his hands.

Comment

• Thanks for your continued service.
                          Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

• Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                            I learned that I still have the humor of a 12 year old kid. One of the kids in my primary class just made a peace sign with his right hand and then began flicking his tongue back and forth in the web between his fingers directed towards the chorister (who would make GN blush). I chuckled a bit loud and was given the stank eye from the primary prez. Oh well.
                            That's a good one. You think the primary prez even knows what that means?

Comment

• Originally posted by AggieIam View Post
                              That's a good one. You think the primary prez even knows what that means?
                              Yeah, and does the kid?? I didn't when I was in primary.
                              At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                                Thanks for your continued service.
                                This may sound like a cliché, but it's an honor to serve.

Comment

Working...
                                X