No announcement yet.

I learned in church today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did something today I've never done before. I skipped church and went golfing. It was a Sat/Sun tourney, and I've missed about 20 years worth of these tourneys, so I overcame my conscience and headed out. What I learned not going to church today is that I missed church as much as I enjoyed golfing. Except on the 12th hole when I drained a 20 foot left to right putt for eagle. Third place earned me $84, so I guess I'll have to pay additional tithing on the next donation.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
      I did something today I've never done before. I skipped church and went golfing. It was a Sat/Sun tourney, and I've missed about 20 years worth of these tourneys, so I overcame my conscience and headed out. What I learned not going to church today is that I missed church as much as I enjoyed golfing. Except on the 12th hole when I drained a 20 foot left to right putt for eagle. Third place earned me $84, so I guess I'll have to pay additional tithing on the next donation.
      Congratulations.
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by ewth8tr View Post
        I learned that the wine in the scriptures was just grape juice and that Joseph changed to water for the sacrament because "bad people" were probably trying to trick him into using actual wine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
        This is one of my favorite correlated explanations. Cracks me up every time.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• My wife was asked by the Primary pres. what she enjoys most about FHE. My wife mentioned that she looks forward to FHE due to our busy lifestyle with work, sports, lake, church, etc. because it is time when our family can focus on each other and refocus on supporting each other and enjoying each others company. Another teacher pipes up and shares with us the acronym for BUSY. Being Under Satan's Yoke. I was impressed with my wife's ability to just roll her eyes and not fire back. She later said if it wasn't for the 30-40 kids in the room she would have. I can't wait to use it when my tells me how busy her day was!
          I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

• Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
            My wife was asked by the Primary pres. what she enjoys most about FHE. My wife mentioned that she looks forward to FHE due to our busy lifestyle with work, sports, lake, church, etc. because it is time when our family can focus on each other and refocus on supporting each other and enjoying each others company. Another teacher pipes up and shares with us the acronym for BUSY. Being Under Satan's Yoke. I was impressed with my wife's ability to just roll her eyes and not fire back. She later said if it wasn't for the 30-40 kids in the room she would have. I can't wait to use it when my tells me how busy her day was!
            Isn't "being anxiously engaged" a form of being busy?

Comment

I did something today I've never done before. I skipped church and went golfing. It was a Sat/Sun tourney, and I've missed about 20 years worth of these tourneys, so I overcame my conscience and headed out. What I learned not going to church today is that I missed church as much as I enjoyed golfing. Except on the 12th hole when I drained a 20 foot left to right putt for eagle. Third place earned me $84, so I guess I'll have to pay additional tithing on the next donation.
              Instant CS street cred.
              I'm like LeBron James.
              -mpfunk

Comment

So by admitting your sin and then adding you enjoy church as much as golfing you are starting down the slippery slope.

I am not a regular Sunday golfer, but I have moved beyond feeling guilty when I do. I always have a very good reason. My main one is I would rather be with my boys than with a bunch of old farts in HP meeting.

Comment

• Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                  So by admitting your sin and then adding you enjoy church as much as golfing you are starting down the slippery slope.

I am not a regular Sunday golfer, but I have moved beyond feeling guilty when I do. I always have a very good reason. My main one is I would rather be with my boys than with a bunch of old farts in HP meeting.
                  At this point, aren't you sitting around with a bunch of young farts?

Comment

• Originally posted by byu71 View Post

You have seared your conscience.

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                      Instant CS street cred.
                      I've thought about it overnight, and even though I enjoyed the golf, Church is my core. Last night I felt a little hollow, and missed that sweet feeling of the Sabbath Day. I'll probably play in the same mid-summer tourney next year, but between then and now, I'll be going to church about 48 times.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                      -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                        You have seared your conscience.
                        I don't think so. I would wholeheartedly promote the going to church on a regular basis over playing golf on Sunday on a regular basis. However, through much prayer and meditation I have received an answer for me personally. If I have a darn good reason to play golf on Sunday, I am not required to loathe myself for a few days because I did.

Comment

I've thought about it overnight, and even though I enjoyed the golf, Church is my core. Last night I felt a little hollow, and missed that sweet feeling of the Sabbath Day. I'll probably play in the same mid-summer tourney next year, but between then and now, I'll be going to church about 48 times.

Maybe you would feel better if you didn't make it an either or type deal. Try this next Sunday, go for a bike ride in the morning when the wind is light and the air is cool, go to church and get feed spiritually, have dinner with the family and then fit in 9 or 18 before dark. It makes church tolerable, no guilt loading up on Sunday dinner because you burned about 1500 calories in the morning and in Rexburg the golf course is empty on a Sunday night. I've been out there on a beautiful summer evening and had all 27 holes to myself. My Sundays have really become much better since I started following this schedule.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                            Maybe you would feel better if you didn't make it an either or type deal. Try this next Sunday, go for a bike ride in the morning when the wind is light and the air is cool, go to church and get feed spiritually, have dinner with the family and then fit in 9 or 18 before dark. It makes church tolerable, no guilt loading up on Sunday dinner because you burned about 1500 calories in the morning and in Rexburg the golf course is empty on a Sunday night. I've been out there on a beautiful summer evening and had all 27 holes to myself. My Sundays have really become much better since I started following this schedule.
                            The guilt eventually goes away. I finally noticed that the guilt had left when I realized how relaxed I was while doing things in the outdoors with my wife and kids. I also noticed golfing with some coworkers. Church was more often than not a non relaxing, boring mess for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                              At this point, aren't you sitting around with a bunch of young farts?
                              Get confident, stupid
                              -landpoke

Comment

• I just enjoyed a full summation of various lost tribes theories including hollow earth (with dinosaurs) and other extra terrestrial musings in the first sacrament meeting talk.

Comment

Working...
                                X