No announcement yet.

I learned in church today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way to steal ideas and content, whomever lifted my post on Heavenly Mother and posted it on CB. Little tip: paraphrasing involves more than moving a couple words around.
    "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

Comment

• Originally posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
      Way to steal ideas and content, whomever lifted my post on Heavenly Mother and posted it on CB. Little tip: paraphrasing involves more than moving a couple words around.
      Why does that trouble you?
      Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

• Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
        Why does that trouble you?
        I don't like people presenting my words as their own. Even in message board land.
        "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

Comment

I've had to be very careful how I teach the lessons. I've tried to make it as applicable to them as possible, but then the girls start saying things like, "Women don't need the priesthood because their husbands spoil them so they don't have to do the work" and "Women don't need the priesthood because we can have babies" AND AND AND my favorite "Heavenly Father protects Heavenly Mother so people don't use Her name in vain and disrespect Her." Does anyone know where that last idea in particular comes from, because it makes no sense to me. If we actually believe in a Heavenly Mother, then she's God the Mother. She's an exalted, eternal being with all knowledge and power. She doesn't need protecting from anything.

Anyway, the indoctrination is strong with my young padawans.
          Which one of the million she's are you speaking of exactly?

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
          -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
            Which one of the million she's are you speaking of exactly?
            Well, since I don't believe in eternal polygamy, just the one. But then you probably already knew that.

Comment

I don't like people presenting my words as their own. Even in message board land.
              Originally posted by Mrs. Funk
              've had to be very careful how I teach the lessons. I've tried to make it as applicable to them as possible, but then the girls start saying things like, "Women don't need the priesthood because their husbands spoil them so they don't have to do the work" and "Women don't need the priesthood because we can have babies" AND AND AND my favorite "Heavenly Father protects Heavenly Mother so people don't use Her name in vain and disrespect Her." Does anyone know where that last idea in particular comes from, because it makes no sense to me. If we actually believe in a Heavenly Mother, then she's God the Mother. She's an exalted, eternal being with all knowledge and power. She doesn't need protecting from anything.

Anyway, the indoctrination is strong with my young padawans.

Originally posted by Maximus
              Where does the folklore of Heavenly Mother needing protecting come from?

As in the idea that "Heavenly Father protects Heavenly Mother so people don't use Her name in vain and disrespect Her." it makes no sense to me. If Heavenly Mother exists, than she is God the Mother, and is an exalted, eternal being (all powerful etc.) and she doesnt need protecting from anything.
              I think you need to seriously lighten up. This theological poser has been around forever; you present nothing new in content or in concern. There's nothing wrong with Maximus'/Xamius' repackaging of this topic for discussion among a very different demographic than this board. It can be interesting to compare/contrast views between boards.
              Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

• Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                I think you need to seriously lighten up. This theological poser has been around forever; you present nothing new in content or in concern. There's nothing wrong with Maximus'/Xamius' repackaging of this topic for discussion among a very different demographic than this board. It can be interesting to compare/contrast views between boards.
                It's not the repackaging of the idea so much as lifting most of the wording from my post that bothers me. Discuss away on CB. Plagiarism is bad form.
                Last edited by Mrs. Funk; 06-11-2013, 12:54 PM.

Comment

It's not the repackaging of the idea so much as lifting most of the wording from my post that bothers me. Discuss away on CB. Plagiarism is bad form.
                  Well - it is CB. I choose to believe that he did it because folks over there know Mr. Funk and he was just protecting you from the possibility of people there disparaging you or taking your name in vain.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                    Well - it is CB. I choose to believe that he did it because folks over there know Mr. Funk and he was just protecting you from the possibility of people there disparaging you or taking your name in vain.

Comment

Well, since I don't believe in eternal polygamy, just the one. But then you probably already knew that.
                      Sometimes I'm not even exactly sure of what I believe is real or fantasy... (multiple dimensions, multiple wives, multiple husbands, multiple children, multiple dispensation restorers) so ultimately what's it all about Alfie? I really hope that you're right, and that we will live in a white picket heaven, where we can have family reunions down by the river on perfect summers day with only one set of Eternal Parents. In my mind though I'm thinking that it'll be weirder than we're comfortable with imagining right now. Much weirder.

I can/will tell you what I believe though. I believe the Father/Son appeared to Joseph Smith, and gave him enough rope to get the job done (barely) before they called him home. And that the BOM is correct in it's doctrinal message. And that I love the Church of Jesus Christ. And that I love my Family. All of them. wherever they are.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                      -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                        Haha!

Comment

• Today was stake conference for us. During the Sunday session all of the stake primary children rushed the stand to join in singing a Father's Day song. In the back of the group was A mentally handicapped guy, probably in his late 40s or early 50s. He was singing right along with the young children, including doing all of the hand gestures to "I'm so glad When daddy comes home". The whole time he was beaming as he looked over at who I assume was his dad in the congregation. It was a really sweet thing to see.

Comment

• We had the Word of Wisdom lesson. I was a bit distracted, so I wasn't really paying attention until I heard someone start going off on the war on drugs. The teacher basically said, "Thanks for the comment" and moved on to rest of the vanilla lesson.
                            Not that, sickos.

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                              Today was stake conference for us. During the Sunday session all of the stake primary children rushed the stand to join in singing a Father's Day song. In the back of the group was A mentally handicapped guy, probably in his late 40s or early 50s. He was singing right along with the young children, including doing all of the hand gestures to "I'm so glad When daddy comes home". The whole time he was beaming as he looked over at who I assume was his dad in the congregation. It was a really sweet thing to see.
                              I used to teach Sunday School to the 15 year olds. We had a kid in the class that was mentally challenged...sweetest kid in the world. I remember one Sunday the kid was in the front row of the class, with his hands a little too aggressively in his lap. He was pitching a Coleman tent and giving it a lot of attention. I wasn't sure what to do, so I just ignored it. What's the proper protocol for a thing like that.
                              "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Originally posted by thesaint258 View Post
                                We had the Word of Wisdom lesson. I was a bit distracted, so I wasn't really paying attention until I heard someone start going off on the war on drugs. The teacher basically said, "Thanks for the comment" and moved on to rest of the vanilla lesson.
                                You'd have preferred the teacher get deep into the war on drugs?

I actually taught this lesson today and had to give a "Thanks for the comment" to a couple people insisting than canned peaches are not "in their season" and are therefore not okay with the WoW. This lesson always brings out the weirdos.

Comment

Working...
                                X