I learned in church today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Fourth Nephite View Post

My wife, who is reading this over my shoulder, wants to know if women ever had the priesthood. Please respond.
    Mormon women have had the priesthood since 1843.

Why aren't they using it?

(post edited to fix some links)
    Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 04-28-2013, 10:33 PM.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
      A guy in our ward is in a stake presidency at BYU. He said of the 900 girls in the stake, 300 have gone on missions or have papers in progress.
      There is a guy in our ward who has been serving in a BYU freshman ward. He said that 105 of his 150 members when on missions this past year.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
        A guy in our ward is in a stake presidency at BYU. He said of the 900 girls in the stake, 300 have gone on missions or have papers in progress.
        I'm in the SLC airport and I just saw twelve sisters and four elders get on a plane.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
          I'm in the SLC airport and I just saw twelve sisters and four elders get on a plane.
          I thought that they always left on wednesday because the flights were cheaper. Leaving on a monday = mind blown.
          "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sullyute View Post
            I thought that they always left on wednesday because the flights were cheaper. Leaving on a monday = mind blown.
            They were flying Southwest so it was still a cheap flight.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              There is a guy in our ward who has been serving in a BYU freshman ward. He said that 105 of his 150 members when on missions this past year.
              July 1 the Richmond Mission becomes official and our stake and the one just north of us will join that mission. Every transfer this year has been about 6-10 Elders and Sisters going home with about 25 coming in. We've been told that both the Richmond and DC South missions will have 2 companionships in each ward by the end of summer and they have sent some notices out to Bishops about members being able to house missionaries. My mom also said that the garment shelves in the women's section are bare in the distribution center with so many newly endowed sisters preparing for missions.

I wonder if the new style change was impacted in any way by the volume of garments needed.
              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
              -Turtle
              sigpic

Comment

• Ward Council isn't always boring.
                -Turtle
                sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                  Ward Council isn't always boring.
                  Yes it is. I house shopped for 45 minutes while the 18 year old sister missionaries gave their weekly report.
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                    Ward Council isn't always boring.
                    so what juicy gossip did you learn this week?
                    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                    Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

• Originally posted by The Fourth Nephite View Post
                      My wife, who is reading this over my shoulder, wants to know if women ever had the priesthood. Please respond.
                      here's an interesting podcast that is easy to listen to (even if the interviewee is kind of geeky)

http://feministmormonhousewivespodca...uvoo-part-two/
                      Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                      God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                      Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                        They were flying Southwest so it was still a cheap flight.
                        Were you flying to Newark? If not, there were a bunch of missionaries on another flight today: http://www.cougarboard.com/board/mes...ml?id=10516788
                        Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                          Yes it is. I house shopped for 45 minutes while the 18 year old sister missionaries gave their weekly report.
                          Dude I have spent countless PEC and WC meetings looking at homes too. Yesterday I got to report that 3 active Elders will be moving out of the ward next month including me and my 2nd counselor. And then the Bishop announced that a 4th family from the EQ is moving to Colorado next month. 4 families next month and we just moved one out last month. I actually felt bad. Our ward is really hurting right now for active families willing to serve and hold callings.

But I am excited for the new home. And very excited that I will get a break from PEC and WC meetings which I have been a part of for too long. I really hope I get to team teach with Gidget. Maybe a youth sunday school class or primary.
                          -Turtle
                          sigpic

Comment

• I learned today that Bishops Storehouse directors speaking in your ward make for a very interesting sacrament meeting. At least ours do.

Not only do they preach a pretty solid doomsday prepper sermon, including a solid political rant about our national administration, but they are also very extremely gifted in writing song lyrics. WW Phelps doesn't have anything on them.

For the intermediate hymn, the Storehouse missionary couple made a special request for members of the word to join them in the choir seats for an impromptu special musical number. They even stated that of all of the wards they have visited for this presentation, they have always had good participation in the choir and they were certain that our ward would likewise not disappoint.

When the choir was assembled, they announced that they would be singing from hymn #140 "Did you think to pray?". But there was a slight catch. Instead of the traditional hymn lyrics they wrote their own lyrics for this version which were more appropriate to the sacrament meeting theme.

As my ward was the first in the stake to hear from them, I was able to give Orangeute the heads up for the 11:00 ward. He took a bullet for the team and joined their ward's choir just so that he could be a part of it. He was also somehow able to snap a picture of the lyrics. Enjoy.

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                              I learned today that Bishops Storehouse directors speaking in your ward make for a very interesting sacrament meeting. At least ours do.

Not only do they preach a pretty solid doomsday prepper sermon, including a solid political rant about our national administration, but they are also very extremely gifted in writing song lyrics. WW Phelps doesn't have anything on them.

For the intermediate hymn, the Storehouse missionary couple made a special request for members of the word to join them in the choir seats for an impromptu special musical number. They even stated that of all of the wards they have visited for this presentation, they have always had good participation in the choir and they were certain that our ward would likewise not disappoint.

When the choir was assembled, they announced that they would be singing from hymn #140 "Did you think to pray?". But there was a slight catch. Instead of the traditional hymn lyrics they wrote their own lyrics for this version which were more appropriate to the sacrament meeting theme.

As my ward was the first in the stake to hear from them, I was able to give Orangeute the heads up for the 11:00 ward. He took a bullet for the team and joined their ward's choir just so that he could be a part of it. He was also somehow able to snap a picture of the lyrics. Enjoy.
                              Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

• Oh man. Wiping tears of laughter. That is awesome.

Comment

Working...
                                X