I learned in church today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
    Usually not, no. It's most often a lazy person's copout.

I did it once where I thought it mostly worked, though, in a lesson I did on the First Vision. I broke the class into four groups and gave each one version of the First Vision and told them to read over it, then we brought the entire class back together to construct a "comprehensive" timeline.
    I did this too. But usually it's a tactic I try to avoid.
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Fourth Nephite View Post
      I'm on sex offender guard duty today. I get to sit outside the primary room, surf the net and make sure nobody bothers the kiddos when they go to the bathroom or get a drink of water.
      What if the guard is an unknown sex offender? Do you get to stop people from talking to kids? Do you let the suit wearing members enter the bathroom while you detain the blue shirt wearers? What about non-tie wearers? Did the bishop have a lecture on how to spot a sex offender? I'd be curious to see what he said.

Anxiously waiting...

via a galaxy s3 far far away
      "Don't expect I'll see you 'till after the race"

"So where does the power come from to see the race to its end...from within"

Comment

• What I learned in Church Today.

A longtime ward member was convicted of sex abuse of an adopted daughter on Friday. It was generally accepted that the troubled young gal was "making it up" as she had confessed to other young girls in the ward that she wanted to get back at her mother. With what appeared to be a formailty, and with every ounce of physical evidence in favor of the of the father, the jury still came in on 25 counts of guilty. Now my fellow ward member is on suicide watch, and he vows that he will not do a prison term for a crime that he did not commit. I've never seen anything hit a ward so hard in my life. HP group just exlpoded into a call to arms to help said brethern. Very Interesting to say the least.
        Last edited by clackamascoug; 01-27-2013, 03:09 PM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
        -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Anxiously awaiting....

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
            What I learned in Church Today.

A longtime ward member was convicted of sex abuse of an adopted daughter on Friday. It was generally accepted that the troubled young gal was "making it up" as she had confessed to other young girls in the ward that she wanted to get back at her mother. With what appeared to be a formailty, and with every ounce of physical evidence in favor of the of the father, the jury still came in on 25 counts of guilty. Now my fellow ward member is on suicide watch, and he vows that he will not do a prison term for a crime that he did not commit. I've never seen anything hit a ward so hard in my life. HP group just exlpoded into a call to arms to help said brethern. Very Interesting to say the least.
            Very sad for all involved.
            Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
              Very sad for all involved.
              Absolutely. Either a child was molested or an innocent man is going to jail.

Comment

• Originally posted by doctorcoug View Post
                What if the guard is an unknown sex offender? Do you get to stop people from talking to kids? Do you let the suit wearing members enter the bathroom while you detain the blue shirt wearers? What about non-tie wearers? Did the bishop have a lecture on how to spot a sex offender? I'd be curious to see what he said.

Anxiously waiting...

There's 5 sex offenders in our ward boundaries and only one that comes regularly. Everybody knows who he is. About 5 months ago he got into a confrontation in Sacrament meeting where he and a mostly inactive lady stood up and started swearing at each other during the closing hymn.

If I saw him go into a bathroom that had kids in it. I would follow him in. If in passing, he had a short conversation with a kid, I probably wouldn't do anything, but if he had anything beyond that, I would tell him to move along.
                Last edited by The Fourth Nephite; 01-27-2013, 08:02 PM.
                "I'm going to go back to CUF now, where the censorship is less, the average IQ is higher, and we don't have to deal with so much of this nonsense. Goodbye." - SoonerCoug

Comment

• Originally posted by doctorcoug View Post
                  Anxiously awaiting....

Sorry. I've been in meetings all day long and just got home.
                  "I'm going to go back to CUF now, where the censorship is less, the average IQ is higher, and we don't have to deal with so much of this nonsense. Goodbye." - SoonerCoug

Comment

• Originally posted by The Fourth Nephite View Post
                    Sorry. I've been in meetings all day long and just got home.
                    It was a bad joke, sorry.

Comment

• I had to go to a client retreat and missed church. But I was up at 5:30 anyway and just finished a day just as long as a typical church-filled Sunday. Not a great day.
                      “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                      ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                      -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                      --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• I learned that the mission I'm in (St. George, Utah), has, give or take 10,000, approximately:

100,000 active members
                        100,000 inactive members
                        100,000 non-members

I wonder if there is a mission anywhere with lower total population or a smaller amount of non-members.

Comment

• I learned that my 4 year old announced to the entire primary (with my wife in the room) that her parents "don't let her read scriptures every day." All eyes quickly turned to my wife and she was a little . Kids.
                          "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
                            I learned that my 4 year old announced to the entire primary (with my wife in the room) that her parents "don't let her read scriptures every day." All eyes quickly turned to my wife and she was a little . Kids.
                            Ha! That's great.

Comment

• Yesterday's sacrament meeting topic was Work and Self Reliance.

Sister Speaker, after giving a list of her daily routine, told us how appropriate it was for her to be given the opportunity to address the congregation on the topic of Work. I missed about half her talk, but my 13 year old let me know it was pretty much a sermon to boast how hard she works.

I learned from Brother Speaker that working hard so you can retire early is a "perversion of God's way of thinking." We must continue to work a paying job even if we achieve economic independence because it is by the sweat of our brow that we eat. Keeping busy with other productive activities apparently doesn't cut it.

I also learned from him that men are lazy and should learn to work as hard as women.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypoplastic View Post
                                I also learned from him that men are lazy and should learn to work as hard as women.
                                As a generality, I don't think I can disagree.
                                "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X