I learned in church today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
    My ambition as a primary teacher was two fold. Teach them the lesson of the day.... and teach them in a way that they want to come back next week. No kid should hate going to church. Church can be enjoyable.
    Nursery is a place where children learn that church is a place where they are loved, and where they can feel the spirit. All subsequent lessons should continue on that theme, although snack time is optional.

Comment

• Same. I was like, what the hell?!?!?
      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by LVAllen View Post
        Nursery is a place where children learn that church is a place where they are loved, and where they can feel the spirit. All subsequent lessons should continue on that theme, although snack time is optional.
        I don't think we could get through a full hour without snack time. Maybe when they're a year or two older.

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
          My ambition as a primary teacher was two fold. Teach them the lesson of the day.... and teach them in a way that they want to come back next week. No kid should hate going to church. Church can be enjoyable.
          Truth.
          And the second point is the most important.
          I intend to live forever.
          So far, so good.
          --Steven Wright

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
            mrs smr is watching the ed pinegar sac meeting on KBYU right now. if you want to see a young Mark Eubank speak, turn it on!
            ftr, eubank did a fine job
            I'm like LeBron James.
            -mpfunk

Comment

• Sitting in my wife’s primary class while she tells them a story about Heber J Grant. Girl sitting next to me turns to me and asks “Were you alive when Heber J Grant does?”

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                Sitting in my wife’s primary class while she tells them a story about Heber J Grant. Girl sitting next to me turns to me and asks “Were you alive when Heber J Grant does?”
                My spirit was alive in the days of the Heber J Grant.
                For I am eternal.
                So far, so good.
                --Steven Wright

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian View Post
                  My spirit was alive in the days of the Heber J Grant.
                  For I am eternal.
                  Reminds me of the lyrics to that old Primary song:

I am immortal. I have inside me blood of kings. I have no rival. All Mormons are my equal. Take me to the cool Celestial World.

Comment

• Originally posted by LVAllen View Post
                    Reminds me of the lyrics to that old Primary song:

I am immortal. I have inside me blood of kings. I have no rival. All Mormons are my equal. Take me to the cool Celestial World.
                    I don't remember that one.
                    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                      I don't remember that one.
                      My body doesn’t remember it either. But my spirit does.
                      For I am eternal.
                      So far, so good.
                      --Steven Wright

Comment

• Did I miss an announcement somewhere or misunderstand my RS Pres when she said as of November 19, the general church leadership has asked that members not feed the missionaries? Per my RS Pres the missionaries will receive crockpots to cook in so they can go home at 4 and eat and then get back out to work. Members can only have them over for dinner if there is a non-member. Anyone else hear that?

Comment

• Originally posted by Soccermom View Post
                          Did I miss an announcement somewhere or misunderstand my RS Pres when she said as of November 19, the general church leadership has asked that members not feed the missionaries? Per my RS Pres the missionaries will receive crockpots to cook in so they can go home at 4 and eat and then get back out to work. Members can only have them over for dinner if there is a non-member. Anyone else hear that?
                          Sounds like a made-up rule by a mission president.

Comment

• Originally posted by Soccermom View Post
                            Did I miss an announcement somewhere or misunderstand my RS Pres when she said as of November 19, the general church leadership has asked that members not feed the missionaries? Per my RS Pres the missionaries will receive crockpots to cook in so they can go home at 4 and eat and then get back out to work. Members can only have them over for dinner if there is a non-member. Anyone else hear that?
                            We had the missionaries for dinner this evening (they were delicious) and they said the same thing, although for the San Jose Mission it's effective December 1. The reason given by the MP is that they should be spending the dinner hour proselyting. I'd like more detail but I see a few problems with the idea, aside from the obvious one that tracting during the dinner hour will typically incur the homeowner's wrath. Plus, the missionaries still need to eat, and if they're responsible for feeding themselves, they'll likely spend more time preparing/eating/cleaning than if they dine with members. Plus, this seems to conflict with the current rule that they shouldn't be out contacting after dark. Will this mean an increase in the monthly allowance given to the missionaries, or are they expected to provide themselves with 30 extra meals at their own expense? And this takes away from members getting to know the missionaries, etc. Otherwise, sounds like a good idea!

Comment

• Mission presidents are their own worst enemy. Well that and the missionaries.

Dumb rule.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                                We had the missionaries for dinner this evening (they were delicious) and they said the same thing, although for the San Jose Mission it's effective December 1. The reason given by the MP is that they should be spending the dinner hour proselyting. I'd like more detail but I see a few problems with the idea, aside from the obvious one that tracting during the dinner hour will typically incur the homeowner's wrath. Plus, the missionaries still need to eat, and if they're responsible for feeding themselves, they'll likely spend more time preparing/eating/cleaning than if they dine with members. Plus, this seems to conflict with the current rule that they shouldn't be out contacting after dark. Will this mean an increase in the monthly allowance given to the missionaries, or are they expected to provide themselves with 30 extra meals at their own expense? And this takes away from members getting to know the missionaries, etc. Otherwise, sounds like a good idea!
                                Is that a local rule, or universal? We worked 70+ hours per week in our mission, so we were always out after dark (back in the day...).

Comment

Working...
                                X