I learned in church today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I learned in church today

We had a lady bare testimony of her spirit mother. I think she was talking about heavenly mother but it was tough to be sure given the rambling and sometimes inaudible testimony.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• The problem I run into is that it tries to do this on LDSAccess WIFI which during church is not usable. Disabling WIFI and going over the mobile network solve the issue for me. I believe I have it set to only download over WIFI too. The only place I've had an issue with it is at church on LDSAccess.

Comment

• Speaker gave dscourse on "The Peace of God." English not her first language. Kept pronouncing "peace" as "piss."

Nice discourse but a bit distracting.
        Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• We have a few people in our ward with Celiacs or gluten intolerance. Our solution for the sacrament was been to include a small cup of rice chex in every tray for those people.

I guess direction has come to no longer do that. The reason: it doesn’t fit with the symbolism of the bread being broken. I understand the sacrament is all about symbolism, but that seems pretty nitpicky to me. We aren’t sure how to handle the issue now a separate tray with oatbread is possible, but then a deacon would have to be dedicated to knowing and finding those who need it.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
            We have a few people in our ward with Celiacs or gluten intolerance. Our solution for the sacrament was been to include a small cup of rice chex in every tray for those people.

I guess direction has come to no longer do that. The reason: it doesn’t fit with the symbolism of the bread being broken. I understand the sacrament is all about symbolism, but that seems pretty nitpicky to me. We aren’t sure how to handle the issue now a separate tray with oatbread is possible, but then a deacon would have to be dedicated to knowing and finding those who need it.
            I'm sure that will go over VERY well with the people with celiac...
            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
            - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
              If I were in that boat, I would just take the water and call it good. But I wouldn't blame others for feeling somewhat excluded.

Comment

We have a few people in our ward with Celiacs or gluten intolerance. Our solution for the sacrament was been to include a small cup of rice chex in every tray for those people.

In my ward, the people who can't eat standard fare bread bring their own. It is then placed on a sacrament tray, blessed, and given back to that person. There is a deacon who makes the rounds with the special tray before taking his usual position.
                “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• Still had the rice chex in my ward today.
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                    In my ward, the people who can't eat standard fare bread bring their own. It is then placed on a sacrament tray, blessed, and given back to that person. There is a deacon who makes the rounds with the special tray before taking his usual position.
                    When I lived in Folsom we had several people in our ward that couldn't eat gluten. They had one tray with gluten-free bread and it was the only chrome tray, all the rest were plastic, so it was obvious that it was different. The deacon with that tray would go around first to all those that they knew needed special bread, then finish off the rows on the side. When I first moved there I was trying to figure out why a certain deacon went several rows out of his way to serve the bread to his family before giving it to the rest of the congregation. It was probably months before I understood.

I think we eventually learned to not sit in the section that got served the weird gluten-free bread.

Comment

Direction from whom? That is nuts.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                        If they would just have a little faith it wouldn’t be a problem anymore. Their lack of belief is making everybody else’s life more difficult.
                        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          Direction from whom? That is nuts.
                          Bishop said it in some sort of HQ communication, but was re-emphasize in stake bishop training.

Comment

Bishop said it in some sort of HQ communication, but was re-emphasize in stake bishop training.
                            That’s the opposite of every kind of training I ever got on the matter.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

It’s funny that he has no problem with the church eliminating much of the symbolism of other ordinances, but rice Chex for the sacrament is where he draws the line

My solution is simple. Anyone that doesn’t want to eat the bread provided by the hitch can bring their own bread/cereal and hold it in their hands while the priest says the prayer. Then just eat what you brought. When the tray comes to your row, just pass it along without taking any. Easy peasy.
                              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
                                When I lived in Folsom we had several people in our ward that couldn't eat gluten. They had one tray with gluten-free bread and it was the only chrome tray, all the rest were plastic, so it was obvious that it was different. The deacon with that tray would go around first to all those that they knew needed special bread, then finish off the rows on the side. When I first moved there I was trying to figure out why a certain deacon went several rows out of his way to serve the bread to his family before giving it to the rest of the congregation. It was probably months before I understood.

I think we eventually learned to not sit in the section that got served the weird gluten-free bread.
                                My ward does the chrome tray thing, too, with some kind of rice cake that the priests break up, but the deacon with that tray goes back to the sacrament table and gets a regular tray when the gluten-free people have been served. I would suggest that the gluten-free deacon just carry two trays from the start.

Comment

Working...
                                X