Page 268 of 268 FirstFirst ... 168218258266267268
Results 8,011 to 8,028 of 8028

Thread: I learned in church today

Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    there is a family in my ward who has a daughter very similar to what you describe. her mom says she has the mental capacity of a 2 year old. she has a twin sister who has the mental capacity of a 7 year old (they are 19) - i don't think any of us can even begin to imagine how difficult their lives are, but similar to the couple you describe, they seem to be making it work and having each other's backs through this literally never ending process that will be their life on earth.
    Last Sunday we skipped church for the tri-county Special Olympics Basketball Jamboree. About a hundred athletes participated in the basketball games and skill challenges. What strikes me about the Special Olympics is the love that abounds. It's truly a happy place where good sportsmanship and proper behavior is more important than winning or losing. If there was ever a place where odd and misfits could go, and feel 100% acceptance, its the Special Olympics. As I write this, it occurs to me that we didn't really skip church last Sunday, as did participate in a Christ like experience.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

I learned that "thou shalt not judge" is one of the ten commandments.
    “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by Copelius View Post
    I learned that "thou shalt not judge" is one of the ten commandments.
    Actually, there's only two commandments.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Learned that the SLC temple lights run on batteries from Sister Eubanks talk

Sent from my iPhone and not some dumb Chinese android POS.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Learned that the SLC temple lights run on batteries from Sister Eubanks talk

http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...=1#post1409278
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Student View Post
    Eubank’s (as in possessive). Too lazy to add the ‘ with iPhone keyboard

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Eubank’s (as in possessive). Too lazy to add the ‘ with iPhone keyboard

Android phones make it easy to add punctuation. Also Swype is superior.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug

Android phones make it easy to add punctuation. Also Swype is superior.
    No blAndroid phone necessary. Sounds like you’re merely suggesting UT download the Google keyboard for his iPhone.

Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    No blAndroid phone necessary. Sounds like you’re merely suggesting UT download the Google keyboard for his iPhone.

Dunno. I didn't have to download anything. When I borrow my wife's or daughter's phones, it's a frustrating transition.

Dunno. I didn't have to download anything. When I borrow my wife's or daughter's phones, it's a frustrating transition.
    Allow me to suggest that they download the Google keyboard. A simple push of a button and you’ll be right at home when you borrow one of their phones.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Google keyboard is ok. Still not as good at punctuation as Swype.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Yesterday we had a high councilman give a great talk about forgiveness. He spoke about Mark Hoffman and his victims. Apparently, about 17 years after murders, Mac Christensen, father of victim Steven Christensen, paid for the mission of Mark Hoffman's son. The court costs and other expenses related to Mark's actions had left his wife and family pretty much destitute and when his son wanted to go on a mission, Mac stepped forward and covered the cost. Pretty amazing, I thought.
    When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

Quote Originally Posted by BrutusBuckeye View Post
    Yesterday we had a high councilman give a great talk about forgiveness. He spoke about Mark Hoffman and his victims. Apparently, about 17 years after murders, Mac Christensen, father of victim Steven Christensen, paid for the mission of Mark Hoffman's son. The court costs and other expenses related to Mark's actions had left his wife and family pretty much destitute and when his son wanted to go on a mission, Mac stepped forward and covered the cost. Pretty amazing, I thought.
    Wow. That is impressive.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

wow. what a story.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

A great description for most politicians from Acts 5:36 in our family "third hour." Read it before, but the description of Theudas by Gamamiel of a person "boasting himself to be somebody," seems like a great way to describe many self-important people.
    “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Not really in church - but I liked this post on the church website, written by a gal I know.

But if trying hard and falling short isn’t the definition of our human experience, what is?

The courage to try, giving what we have and doing our best (and not comparing our offering to anyone else’s), is what Heavenly Father asks of us, and this is what we should be seeking for, not perfection.
    The Lord’s servants invite us to come unto Christ and be perfected in Him, which happens over a lifetime and beyond, and not through our own strivings but only through the mercy and grace of our Redeemer. Perfect efforts are not required; we are saved by accepting His perfect Atonement and trying our best to follow Him. The path of discipleship will involve failure, over and over and over again.
    https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/...Kf1s_j79dEgGgo

That is good.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

UofU/BYU mixed marriage Scott R Nelson's Avatar

The path of discipleship will involve failure, over and over and over again.
    That might be worth framing and hanging up on the wall.