Thread: I learned in church today

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    Excuse me. He said "by not praying like Catholics."

Stay focused.
    You don't know me.

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    Excuse me. He said "by not praying like Catholics."

Stay focused.
    I just extended to all unnecessarily repetitive activities (some repetition is good). My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    We had the same deacon round robin. All these 11 year olds, and all new. (We have 2 existing deacons, and about 7 new ones came in. No teachers, 1 priest who was blessing). They had no idea what to do and where to go. The experienced deacon had to physically go and point each deacon toward his assignment, and they offered the sacrament to the congregation before the bishop was served. (Do we really need to observe that convention?). I asked my husband why they didn't do a walk through the previous week in quorum and he replied "Probably because they were setting them apart." I looked at him incredulously.
    Our newbies did pretty well. The week before, we had 15 minutes before some of the incoming kids were ordained, so I had the quorum president diagram routes on the blackboard. Then last Sunday he did a quick run-through in the chapel with everyone before Sacrament meeting started.

We had the same deacon round robin. All these 11 year olds, and all new. (We have 2 existing deacons, and about 7 new ones came in. No teachers, 1 priest who was blessing). They had no idea what to do and where to go. The experienced deacon had to physically go and point each deacon toward his assignment, and they offered the sacrament to the congregation before the bishop was served. (Do we really need to observe that convention?). I asked my husband why they didn't do a walk through the previous week in quorum and he replied "Probably because they were setting them apart." I looked at him incredulously.
    B/c you couldn't believe that your husband doesn't know the diff between setting apart and ordaining?
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Student View Post
    B/c you couldn't believe that your husband doesn't know the diff between setting apart and ordaining?
    Sorry, he said ordaining. I couldnt remember the word so i said setting apart.

Sorry, he said ordaining. I couldnt remember the word so i said setting apart.
    The 11 year-olds actually received two distinct ordinances (is ordinances the right word here?), conferring of the priesthood and ordaining to the office of Deacon. Just brushing up since I'll be doing that for my 11 year old this Sunday.

It's a bye week! Stake Conference is great.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    It was standing room only in sacrament mtg last week due to a missionary homecoming. During SM, a member of the stake presidency saw me and my crew in the foyer and invited my teenaged daughters to participate in the youth choir for stake conference in a few weeks. My 10-year old son was listening in and said, "We never go to stake conference." Nice work, son.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    No bye week included in Come, Follow Me for SC, only GC.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    No bye week included in Come, Follow Me for SC, only GC.
    we have some less than faithful saints on this board. all we can do is pray for them.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    we have some less than faithful saints on this board. all we can do is pray for them.
    I'd say let's set up some sort of fellowshipping activity with JL and others providing smoked meats, but I'm not going to bring craft beer for funk.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    I'd say let's set up some sort of fellowshipping activity with JL and others providing smoked meats, but I'm not going to bring craft beer for funk.
    Bring skunky beer and perhaps Funk won't show.

UofU/BYU mixed marriage Scott R Nelson's Avatar

Today in church I learned that you can't trust the LDS Library App to be there when you need it.

Normally I have eight or nine screens in that app, one for each type of lesson I'll be doing anything with, one for each of Old Testament, New Testament, Book of Mormon, and Doctrine and Covenents, and a few for my favorite scriptures that I want to look up quickly. So as soon as I open the app, it starts updating for about a minute. Then when I get to the list of screens there are two blank lines there, one of which should have been the "Come, Follow Me - Primary" link and I think one for the individuals and families version.

In searching the whole library, I can't find it anywhere. And while checking my favorite scriptures, the stuff in Moroni 7 is no longer highlighted correctly.

I couldn't use any of that when I needed it. All other apps only update when I tell them to and I'm a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", so I don't normally update any of them that don't have security concerns.

Of course, once I get home and check back through on this stuff, it has been further updated so that what I needed is now there and even the section in Moroni is now okay. It was only broken during the time that I needed it.

But on the bright side, 25 minutes is just about perfect for teaching five year olds.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
    So as soon as I open the app, it starts updating for about a minute.
    I hate this. I've downloaded the content I need. There is 0 reason to constantly redownload it every time I open the app.
    Last edited by LVAllen; 02-03-2019 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LVAllen View Post
    I hate this. I've downloaded the content I need. There is 0 reason to constantly redownload it every time I open the app.
    You guys should actually open and use the app on days other than Sunday. j/k

You could go into settings, and tell it to only download on WiFi, and turn off the wifi before opening. I'd actually recommend using the feedback feature to let them know how it's getting in the way of its functionality.

Default I learned in church today

We had a lady bare testimony of her spirit mother. I think she was talking about heavenly mother but it was tough to be sure given the rambling and sometimes inaudible testimony.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

The problem I run into is that it tries to do this on LDSAccess WIFI which during church is not usable. Disabling WIFI and going over the mobile network solve the issue for me. I believe I have it set to only download over WIFI too. The only place I've had an issue with it is at church on LDSAccess.

Speaker gave dscourse on "The Peace of God." English not her first language. Kept pronouncing "peace" as "piss."

Nice discourse but a bit distracting.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Strikes and Gutters chrisrenrut's Avatar

We have a few people in our ward with Celiacs or gluten intolerance. Our solution for the sacrament was been to include a small cup of rice chex in every tray for those people.

I guess direction has come to no longer do that. The reason: it doesn’t fit with the symbolism of the bread being broken. I understand the sacrament is all about symbolism, but that seems pretty nitpicky to me. We aren’t sure how to handle the issue now a separate tray with oatbread is possible, but then a deacon would have to be dedicated to knowing and finding those who need it.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    We have a few people in our ward with Celiacs or gluten intolerance. Our solution for the sacrament was been to include a small cup of rice chex in every tray for those people.

I guess direction has come to no longer do that. The reason: it doesn’t fit with the symbolism of the bread being broken. I understand the sacrament is all about symbolism, but that seems pretty nitpicky to me. We aren’t sure how to handle the issue now a separate tray with oatbread is possible, but then a deacon would have to be dedicated to knowing and finding those who need it.
    I'm sure that will go over VERY well with the people with celiac...

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    If I were in that boat, I would just take the water and call it good. But I wouldn't blame others for feeling somewhat excluded.

Signature won a Pulitzer Paperback Writer's Avatar

In my ward, the people who can't eat standard fare bread bring their own. It is then placed on a sacrament tray, blessed, and given back to that person. There is a deacon who makes the rounds with the special tray before taking his usual position.
    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Still had the rice chex in my ward today.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

UofU/BYU mixed marriage Scott R Nelson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paperback Writer View Post
    In my ward, the people who can't eat standard fare bread bring their own. It is then placed on a sacrament tray, blessed, and given back to that person. There is a deacon who makes the rounds with the special tray before taking his usual position.
    When I lived in Folsom we had several people in our ward that couldn't eat gluten. They had one tray with gluten-free bread and it was the only chrome tray, all the rest were plastic, so it was obvious that it was different. The deacon with that tray would go around first to all those that they knew needed special bread, then finish off the rows on the side. When I first moved there I was trying to figure out why a certain deacon went several rows out of his way to serve the bread to his family before giving it to the rest of the congregation. It was probably months before I understood.

I think we eventually learned to not sit in the section that got served the weird gluten-free bread.

Direction from whom? That is nuts.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Princeps Inter Pares

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    If they would just have a little faith it wouldn’t be a problem anymore. Their lack of belief is making everybody else’s life more difficult.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Strikes and Gutters chrisrenrut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Direction from whom? That is nuts.
    Bishop said it in some sort of HQ communication, but was re-emphasize in stake bishop training.

Bishop said it in some sort of HQ communication, but was re-emphasize in stake bishop training.
    That’s the opposite of every kind of training I ever got on the matter.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

It’s funny that he has no problem with the church eliminating much of the symbolism of other ordinances, but rice Chex for the sacrament is where he draws the line

My solution is simple. Anyone that doesn’t want to eat the bread provided by the hitch can bring their own bread/cereal and hold it in their hands while the priest says the prayer. Then just eat what you brought. When the tray comes to your row, just pass it along without taking any. Easy peasy.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
    When I lived in Folsom we had several people in our ward that couldn't eat gluten. They had one tray with gluten-free bread and it was the only chrome tray, all the rest were plastic, so it was obvious that it was different. The deacon with that tray would go around first to all those that they knew needed special bread, then finish off the rows on the side. When I first moved there I was trying to figure out why a certain deacon went several rows out of his way to serve the bread to his family before giving it to the rest of the congregation. It was probably months before I understood.

I think we eventually learned to not sit in the section that got served the weird gluten-free bread.
    My ward does the chrome tray thing, too, with some kind of rice cake that the priests break up, but the deacon with that tray goes back to the sacrament table and gets a regular tray when the gluten-free people have been served. I would suggest that the gluten-free deacon just carry two trays from the start.