Page 266 of 267 FirstFirst ... 166216256264265266267 LastLast
Results 7,951 to 7,980 of 7981

Thread: I learned in church today

Strikes and Gutters chrisrenrut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    That’s the opposite of every kind of training I ever got on the matter.
    Yeah, I told the bishop that this sounded to me like some mid-level leader’s personal opinion rather than doctrine or policy. But they got our stake leaders going on it. I’m not privy to the HQ communiques anymore, so I can’t validate that part of the story.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 02-10-2019 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    My ward does the chrome tray thing, too, with some kind of rice cake that the priests break up, but the deacon with that tray goes back to the sacrament table and gets a regular tray when the gluten-free people have been served. I would suggest that the gluten-free deacon just carry two trays from the start.
    And what? Use his left hand to pass the sacrament?

Heresy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Thatís the opposite of every kind of training I ever got on the matter.
    Maybe it is another snowflake in your Hold My Root Beer Prophet's snowstorm.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    My solution is simple. Anyone that doesnít want to eat the bread provided by the hitch can bring their own bread/cereal and hold it in their hands while the priest says the prayer. Then just eat what you brought. When the tray comes to your row, just pass it along without taking any. Easy peasy.
    Sorry ó no way the blessing works unless the item goes under the white lacy tablecloth. Iím sure thatís an important part of how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    Maybe it is another snowflake in your Hold My Root Beer Prophet's snowstorm.
    Wow. Super dickish post funk.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    Sorry ó no way the blessing works unless the item goes under the white lacy tablecloth. Iím sure thatís an important part of how it works.
    White napkins. We used them a lot when I would take the sacrament to people in homes. Chick-fil-A napkins were the go to since I usually had some in my car glove box.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, ďspectator discipleshipĒ is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
    When I lived in Folsom we had several people in our ward that couldn't eat gluten. They had one tray with gluten-free bread and it was the only chrome tray, all the rest were plastic, so it was obvious that it was different. The deacon with that tray would go around first to all those that they knew needed special bread, then finish off the rows on the side. When I first moved there I was trying to figure out why a certain deacon went several rows out of his way to serve the bread to his family before giving it to the rest of the congregation. It was probably months before I understood.

I think we eventually learned to not sit in the section that got served the weird gluten-free bread.
    we do that too except the tray is gold and goes to founders and people with fb pre ipo options. and the other tray isn’t a tray just a kick in the balls.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Yeah, I told the bishop that this sounded to me like some mid-level leader’s personal opinion rather than doctrine or policy. But they got our stake leaders going on it. I’m not privy to the HQ communiques anymore, so I can’t validate that part of the story.
    if you’re in the stake i think you’re in (c south?) that does not surprise me at all

We used to use Rice Chex too and got the same direction from our Stake President - needed to use bread that could be broken for the symbolism of the ordinance. He said it came from the First Presidency.

We've taken the approach of using the same little cups we used to use with Rice Checks on 2-3 trays. The first week our Bishop brought gluten free. One of the guys in our ward had a reaction - because I guess he's got issues with milk and egg products too. So now he brings a piece of bread from home each week that the YM break and put into those cups. They do it when setting up the table because they don't want to mix crumbs from one kind of bread with the other. So it actually doesn't get broken with the rest.

There's a couple of wards in our stake who decided to just use gluten free for the whole ward. The Bishop of one of the wards just shrugged and said they put $300 in their budget into gluten free bread for the Sacrament. We went to a missionary farewell today, and they used it for everyone as well.

I can't imagine God is keeping score on who takes the sacrament. If you have a problem with gluten, just pass the tray along. So what if your row thinks you have a worthiness problem.
    "In heaven, all the interesting people are missing." - Friedrich Nietzsche

90 percent of those claiming gluten sensitivity are just making it up anyway. They give those with real problems like celiac disease a bad name. I say give them real bread and tell them it is gluten free. They'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    90 percent of those claiming gluten sensitivity are just making it up anyway. They give those with real problems like celiac disease a bad name. I say give them real bread and tell them it is gluten free. They'll be fine.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    Yes totally!

I’ll never forget how one of the Elders in our ward in Houston made a major deal about how all the meals provided for the missionaries had to be gluten free.

When they came over to our house for some scrambled eggs I quizzed him about his diagnosis of course.

He said something like “I never saw a doctor or had tests — I have noticed that my energy level and mood go way up when I avoid gluten.”

What a dummy!

Strikes and Gutters chrisrenrut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    if you’re in the stake i think you’re in (c south?) that does not surprise me at all
    Yep, right stake. Our new SP is actually a really good guy, but he is new so he is pretty letter-of-the-law right now. Hopefully he’ll mello a bit with time and experience.

But if Eddie’s stake has the same thing (and I think he is a Davis County guy) then it is probably being emphasized by the area or regional presidency (the mid-level leadership I was referring to in the OP).

We are ok with the symbology change from wine to water. Wine was a big deal to Jesus. His first miracle was changing water to wine miracle, he gave multiple parables of vineyards, Jesus said he is the vine, and he would not drink of the fruit of the vine afterwards the first supper. And we don’t drink out of the same cup, or use unleavened bread. It’s seems arbitrary where they draw the lines on these things.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 02-11-2019 at 06:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    We used to use Rice Chex too and got the same direction from our Stake President - needed to use bread that could be broken for the symbolism of the ordinance. He said it came from the First Presidency.

We've taken the approach of using the same little cups we used to use with Rice Checks on 2-3 trays. The first week our Bishop brought gluten free. One of the guys in our ward had a reaction - because I guess he's got issues with milk and egg products too. So now he brings a piece of bread from home each week that the YM break and put into those cups. They do it when setting up the table because they don't want to mix crumbs from one kind of bread with the other. So it actually doesn't get broken with the rest.

There's a couple of wards in our stake who decided to just use gluten free for the whole ward. The Bishop of one of the wards just shrugged and said they put $300 in their budget into gluten free bread for the Sacrament. We went to a missionary farewell today, and they used it for everyone as well.
    The thing that's nuts to me is people thinking their only access to the Atonement is by partaking both the bread and water. Aren't some people actually allergic to water? The ritual of the Sacrament is rich in symbolism, which helps us to think about the Atonement. But the preparation throughout the week is what is key. You can't just show up once a week like the Zoramites and never talk of God again until the next week.

Just take the water (unless you're allergic) and call it good.

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Still had the rice chex in my ward today.
    sounds like a crazy SP thing, not a church wide thing.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

We use rice cakes. Also GTFO with your gluten sensitivity.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    We have a few people in our ward with Celiacs or gluten intolerance. Our solution for the sacrament was been to include a small cup of rice chex in every tray for those people.

I guess direction has come to no longer do that. The reason: it doesnít fit with the symbolism of the bread being broken. I understand the sacrament is all about symbolism, but that seems pretty nitpicky to me. We arenít sure how to handle the issue now a separate tray with oatbread is possible, but then a deacon would have to be dedicated to knowing and finding those who need it.
    I just scrolled through the official communication library back to 2012 and didn't see anything about it. Unless maybe it was buried in one of those updates about the triple combination now being made available in Serbian or Afrikaans. I doubt anyone has actually ever read those updates.

We have a few people with true celiac disease plus who knows how many with gluten sensitivity. One of those with celiac disease would bring his own bread for the priests to bless. He and his family always sit in the same seats so it is easy to know which tray to place the gluten free bread.

Eventually we went with putting gluten free bread on every tray in a separate fry-sauce sized cup.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

UofU/BYU mixed marriage Scott R Nelson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Eventually we went with putting gluten free bread on every tray in a separate fry-sauce sized cup.
    That sounds like the best solution of all.

When we first moved into this ward around 12 years ago, we met a member who was gluten intolerant or celiac or something. I had never heard of it before that time. I've never noticed any special/separate breads passed around on the tray(s) during the Sacrament. Our ward is probably just hostile to the celiac and gluten-intolerant members. Maybe that's why he moved.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

::glumly:: we are one of those wards who just gives everyone gluten free bread. It's like bread gum- super chewy and super tasteless. Thanks a lot, pseudo celiactors. The one time a week I can eat bread carbs and I gotta eat this kind.

I think they just dont want to call them sacramental crackers. Too catholic.

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    We have a few people with true celiac disease plus who knows how many with gluten sensitivity. One of those with celiac disease would bring his own bread for the priests to bless. He and his family always sit in the same seats so it is easy to know which tray to place the gluten free bread.

We have one family with a daughter who is a celiac. They bring their own piece of gluten free bread which stays in a Ziploc baggie which the deacons pass to them on their own tray. Every other tray gets regular bread and a rice cake for the self diagnosed folks.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

my celiac wife just pretends to take it. don’t want to be the nerds complaining to the bishop about sac bread.

my celiac wife just pretends to take it. don’t want to be the nerds complaining to the bishop about sac bread.

i hope she fake chews it up too.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

my celiac wife just pretends to take it. donít want to be the nerds complaining to the bishop about sac bread.
    What's her preferred method of deception? Throwing it over her shoulder? Dropping it in her lap?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    What's her preferred method of deception? Throwing it over her shoulder? Dropping it in her lap?
    If you don't fake mouth to shirt pocket you clearly were never on church discipline as a youth. Doesn't work as well for the water, but for the bread it was easy. Didn't matter if your parents sat right next to you or not.
    *Banned*

not sure what her preferred penn and teller move is, but the quality of her fake has me suspecting she’s an expert

not sure what her preferred penn and teller move is, but the quality of her fake has me suspecting she’s an expert
    og's wife is great at faking. Who would have thought?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk