I learned in church today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post
    When was it revealed that the Savior goes by his middle name, and that his first name is Even? You'd think his full name is 'Even Jesus Christ' if you spent much time listening to prayers and testimonies in my stake. General conference prayers seem to have a fair number of references to him in such manner as well. If people are going to go out of their way to be that pious, they should do it in true Mormon fashion and give only the first initial of one name. I don't think 'Even J.' has as much punch, so they should probably go the other way with it.

Apologies for my sacrilege, but I was in several meetings where people were giving prayers in the presence of the stake president yesterday, and I think every person referred to the Savior as 'Even'. It was impossible not to roll my eyes by the end of the day. How did this get started, and what is the purpose, really?
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Continuing the sacrilegious theme, I still laugh about a National Lampoon parody of the Sunday newspaper that included a Danbury Mint-like add for a genuine replica of the guestbook for the Last Supper. It showed some of the signatures of the attendees, including Jesus H. Christ (thereby dispelling the belief his first name was Even, btw).

Comment

• Returned missionary from the stake spoke in our ward yesterday. She gave a good talk and seemed to have had a very good mission. Might have been a very good talk if it hadn't been for the fact that she shared the following story:

She wasn't planning on going on a mission, actually. She had never even thought about it. That is, until she attended the farewell of a close friend of hers. You see, the friend was patiently awaiting his mission call. Before he received it, he had a dream. He was in pre-existence, waiting for his call to earth. With him was his greatest friend, also awaiting his call. When the first opened his call, he was informed that he would be born in the United States. He would have a very easy life. He would be born in the gospel and would be blessed with a wonderful family. He and his friend were very happy and embraced. Then the second received his call. His news was not so good. He would have a very hard life, filled with poverty, disease, etc. He would be born in Costa Rica. Upon receiving his call, he turned to the first friend and told him "when we are on earth, come and find me." Then the friend awoke. The next day, his mission call arrived and he was assigned to the Costa Rica mission. He knew his dream was not a coincidence. He shared his dream with his bishop, and then the congregation. The spirit was very strong. Four months after leaving for Costa Rica, the missionary sent an email to his bishop. It contained one sentence. All it said was: "I found my friend."

My eyes almost rolled out of my head. How long has this story been circulating? How many people have tried to pass it off as their own over the years? I quickly found a print version claiming to have happened Salt Lake in the 70s. I'm sure this sister that spoke in my ward had a fine mission, but I really hope this tripe was not the cause of her deciding to serve.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
          Returned missionary from the stake spoke in our ward yesterday. She gave a good talk and seemed to have had a very good mission. Might have been a very good talk if it hadn't been for the fact that she shared the following story:

She wasn't planning on going on a mission, actually. She had never even thought about it. That is, until she attended the farewell of a close friend of hers. You see, the friend was patiently awaiting his mission call. Before he received it, he had a dream. He was in pre-existence, waiting for his call to earth. With him was his greatest friend, also awaiting his call. When the first opened his call, he was informed that he would be born in the United States. He would have a very easy life. He would be born in the gospel and would be blessed with a wonderful family. He and his friend were very happy and embraced. Then the second received his call. His news was not so good. He would have a very hard life, filled with poverty, disease, etc. He would be born in Costa Rica. Upon receiving his call, he turned to the first friend and told him "when we are on earth, come and find me." Then the friend awoke. The next day, his mission call arrived and he was assigned to the Costa Rica mission. He knew his dream was not a coincidence. He shared his dream with his bishop, and then the congregation. The spirit was very strong. Four months after leaving for Costa Rica, the missionary sent an email to his bishop. It contained one sentence. All it said was: "I found my friend."

My eyes almost rolled out of my head. How long has this story been circulating? How many people have tried to pass it off as their own over the years? I quickly found a print version claiming to have happened Salt Lake in the 70s. I'm sure this sister that spoke in my ward had a fine mission, but I really hope this tripe was not the cause of her deciding to serve.
          I had an amazing dream about looking back over my life as if I had been walking on the beach, leaving footprints in the sand...
          "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Originally posted by hostile View Post
            I had an amazing dream about looking back over my life as if I had been walking on the beach, leaving footprints in the sand...
            "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• I'm like LeBron James.
              -mpfunk

Comment

Returned missionary from the stake spoke in our ward yesterday. She gave a good talk and seemed to have had a very good mission. Might have been a very good talk if it hadn't been for the fact that she shared the following story:

That story has the makings of a faith-promoting LDS play that will be wildly popular. I can already hear the catchy tunes!
                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                - SeattleUte

Comment

:goosebumps:

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                    :goosebumps:
                    She didn't even change the mission. The story from 1974 also involved an elder sent to Costa Rica.

Plus, I'll bet wuap and Lebowski loved the part about the friend having a horrible life living in Costa Rica. 2nd happiest place on earth.
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

What do you want to bet that this kid shared that story in context, (it was either that or the story of the missionary on the plane's shoes, right?) and this girl was busy checking her IG when he prefaced the story by saying this wasn't about him. But she didn't hear the preface and assumed it was actually about the person sharing it.

Then again, this is the same generation that copies research papers directly from the internet and then acts incredulous when you won't believe that they just happened to come up with the same thought, verbatim, as someone else out there writing an essay on the same topic. So maybe the kid did actually share that as his own story.
                      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

Then again, this is the same generation that copies research papers directly from the internet and then acts incredulous when you won't believe that they just happened to come up with the same thought, verbatim, as someone else out there writing an essay on the same topic.
                        It's like I'm reading my own thoughts.
                        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                          It's like I'm reading my own thoughts.
                          We look alike. We think alike. You're almost as smart as me. And yet you still unfriended me on fb. Shame.
                          Last edited by Donuthole; 03-19-2018, 04:15 PM.
                          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

We look alike. We think alike. You're almost as smart as me. And yet you still unfriended me on fb. Shame.
                            WTH? Seriously?
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

What do you want to bet that this kid shared that story in context, (it was either that or the story of the missionary on the plane's shoes, right?) and this girl was busy checking her IG when he prefaced the story by saying this wasn't about him. But she didn't hear the preface and assumed it was actually about the person sharing it.

Then again, this is the same generation that copies research papers directly from the internet and then acts incredulous when you won't believe that they just happened to come up with the same thought, verbatim, as someone else out there writing an essay on the same topic. So maybe the kid did actually share that as his own story.
                              I'm just more annoyed that she shared it with us.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

While I agree with three out of four things you wrote, my wife got really pissed off one day because of something you said (I cannot remember what), and she told me to unfriend "that jerk who only ever says rude things." My wife never cusses---ever---and for her to use the word "jerk" is about as close as she'll come to it.

We can be friends and not facebook friends, but you're kind of a dickhead sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                                X