Page 253 of 253 FirstFirst ... 153203243251252253
Results 7,561 to 7,587 of 7587

Thread: I learned in church today

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    Being divorced in church culture is awful. There is nothing but scorn and nothing to do. Being a retread in the church is difficult for anybody and if you have doubts, out you go.
    Yeah, tell me about... I didn't go much when I was a divorcee. The bishop started bugging me and I just told him I was out of town a lot. (I actually did spent every other weekend in Utah.) I don't blame those guys for dropping off the radar. I was always trying to fly under the radar myself.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "I never preached in Texas, but I have preached in places as wicked..." -Brigham Young.
    "If we do nothing we'll be substantially behind (other Power leagues) a decade from now." -Bob Bowlsby on Big 12 expansion.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    I am surprised the new divorced guy even shows up... the divorced guys in my ward usually drop off the radar within the first six months. And the family (ex-wife and kids) get moved over to the HPG to home teach. I am home teaching three single women now. Why do you think I never show up for building cleaning?

You do your home teaching to single women on Saturday morning? Or is it Friday night? Or both?
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
    So I went to Priesthood for the fist time in four years yesterday. I was released from Primary in December, but there always seem to be sick kids, 3rd hour teacher training, playoff games, etc., so I hadn't made it to Priesthood yet.

So I walk in the room, and see a guy I know from another ward in the stake sitting there. We aren't that close, but have some of the same friends, and played on the same softball team one year a few years back, so I go ahead and make the visitor feel welcome. "Hey Nero" (not his real name), I say. "Welcome! What brings you here?" He gives me a weird, awkward look and says "Haha, I've been here 8 months." I explain that I have been exiled in Primary and out of the loop. He gets a serious look on his face and says "I've been though some hard times recently." Upon reflection, I decide to not ask if his wife and four children are also in our ward. So a good start.

Then, the older gentleman in charge of business cleaning stands up to talk. He surprises me by, for once, not taking any opportunity to talk about how rich his son is (maybe he had a rough week in the markets or something). Instead, he starts haranguing the entire group because the previous morning there was only one person who showed up to clean the building, and then the Stake President (who is in our ward) showed up, and do you think he was happy??? No, he wasn't!. We all know the SP, and I think we can all imagine just what kind of mood that put him in!!! And you can just imagine he had a talk with the bishop this morning about it!!! So if your lives are too busy to take an hour Saturday morning to clean, then just come Friday evening for heaven's sake! And if you can't come Friday either, at least send an email or something!?!?! Have I mentioned yet how mad the stake president was????

It went on like that for a while. I thought about asking if we still had to come clean the building if we didn't really care how mad the SP got at us, but he was kind of on a roll, so I stayed quiet. For the record, it wasn't my week to clean. I like cleaning the church. But I was coaching our youth basketball team to two glorious wins with Parrot Head (need to get that thread started while I am thinking of it).

So after that the teacher got up there, and we took turns reading a conference talk aloud for the next 20 minutes.

So that was my first week back. Sure hope no kids get sick next week.
    Reminds me of my first couple weeks in HPG after a long hiatus in Primary and YM. The lesson was 10 mins trying to find volunteers to clean the temple Thursday from 9am to 1pm (spoiler alert: the retired people were upset that they always got the assignment) and then 35 minutes blaming millennials for everything.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Reminds me of my first couple weeks in HPG after a long hiatus in Primary and YM. The lesson was 10 mins trying to find volunteers to clean the temple Thursday from 9am to 1pm (spoiler alert: the retired people were upset that they always got the assignment) and then 35 minutes blaming millennials for everything.
    I mentioned that millennials should be cleaning the building every week... My argument was "they have strong backs and weak minds. Therefore, they are well suited for that kind of work."
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "I never preached in Texas, but I have preached in places as wicked..." -Brigham Young.
    "If we do nothing we'll be substantially behind (other Power leagues) a decade from now." -Bob Bowlsby on Big 12 expansion.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

You do your home teaching to single women on Saturday morning? Or is it Friday night? Or both?
    Usually on Saturday.... Those single women are always breaking sh*t around the house and needing their HTs to fix it.
    Last edited by Uncle Ted; 01-22-2018 at 08:37 PM.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

That's the best time to install all those screen doors.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    clark addison maybe you’ve been away too long but that is basically how it goes every week

Trump-hating snowflake Jeff Lebowski's Avatar

That’s funny, Clark. You should take it upon yourself to loosen things up a bit. Next time go ahead and make that comment about the SP.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

I mentioned that millennials should be cleaning the building every week... My argument was "they have strong backs and weak minds. Therefore, they are well suited for that kind of work."
    “those damn millebials just sit around the whole time and post links to wired articles about autonomous church cleaning robots and clinton conspiracy theories”
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

One can never go wrong blaming millennials for stuff. Millennials are too fragile to push back and defend themselves. If they do push back they look like fragile coddled whiners so it confirms in everyone's mind that really were to blame.

If today's talks and lessons set the tone for this presidency, we are in for A LOT of 2nd-hand testimonies of the prowess, skill, genius, and techniques of a certain heart surgeon prophet.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    If today's talks and lessons set the tone for this presidency, we are in for A LOT of 2nd-hand testimonies of the prowess, skill, genius, and techniques of a certain heart surgeon prophet.
    Well, I can't say anything about his technique, but I had a baptism on my mission that had a severe heart condition (congestion? I don't know. I didn't got to med school). It was to the point where she was meeting with the bishop, and the bishop (totally out of the blue) interviewed her for a living ordinance recommend. She was well under a year from baptism at thus point. The bishop made his case to the SP, the SP interviewed her and made his case up the chain, and when it got to the FP, the FP asked RMN to review her medical records. It came back quickly that she should be allowed to go.

And so it was that a couple of days after she went to the temple (roughly 6 months post-baptism), I happened to be in the area, and the old ward mission leader ran into me and told me what happened. So I've had sort of a warm spot in my heart for RMN ever since.

She's still alive today, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by LVAllen View Post
    Well, I can't say anything about his technique, but I had a baptism on my mission that had a severe heart condition (congestion? I don't know. I didn't got to med school). It was to the point where she was meeting with the bishop, and the bishop (totally out of the blue) interviewed her for a living ordinance recommend. She was well under a year from baptism at thus point. The bishop made his case to the SP, the SP interviewed her and made his case up the chain, and when it got to the FP, the FP asked RMN to review her medical records. It came back quickly that she should be allowed to go.

And so it was that a couple of days after she went to the temple (roughly 6 months post-baptism), I happened to be in the area, and the old ward mission leader ran into me and told me what happened. So I've had sort of a warm spot in my heart for RMN ever since.

Waup... LVAllen's above warmed my heart... I guess I can endure a tenure of medical histrionics.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Quote Originally Posted by clackamascoug View Post
    Waup... LVAllen's above warmed my heart... I guess I can endure a tenure of medical histrionics.
    Somewhere in one of your dimensions, he said no.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Not a critique of him, but of the folklore that's going to eventually see him become THE GREATEST HEART SURGEON IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD!

Not a critique of him, but of the folklore that's going to eventually see him become THE GREATEST HEART SURGEON IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD!
    Ridiculous. Everyone knows the best heart surgeon is Jesus.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Signature won a Pulitzer Paperback Writer's Avatar

So in this isolated case, the medical diagnosis of RMN was not accurate? I was expecting the outcome to be that the recent convert didn't live to her one-year anniversary of church membership and thus an exception to church policy was warranted.
    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Quote Originally Posted by Paperback Writer View Post
    So in this isolated case, the medical diagnosis of RMN was not accurate? I was expecting the outcome to be that the recent convert didn't live to her one-year anniversary of church membership and thus an exception to church policy was warranted.
    No idea. Like I said, I didn't go to med school. Maybe it was spot on, but she beat the odds. Maybe it was a borderline case, and he thought she deserved the opportunity. All I know is that I got to see her with the glow of the temple still there, a rare treat for a missionary, and RMN was instrumental in that.

No doubt the blessings she received in the temple helped her with her physical struggles.

We had Ward Conference today, and it was fabulous. I'm energized and excited for what tomorrow brings.

Now you know how I feel when you wankers go about extolling the virtues of some pencil necked geek out of the academy (lower case as it the lesser) who was your mentor.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

Philosopher of Men Sleeping in EQ's Avatar

Wait a minute. Did President Monson not have a photographic memory? Were those just silly rumors?

I'm crushed.
    We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Yeah, tell me about... I didn't go much when I was a divorcee. The bishop started bugging me and I just told him I was out of town a lot. (I actually did spent every other weekend in Utah.) I don't blame those guys for dropping off the radar. I was always trying to fly under the radar myself.
    The only members lower on the LDS social/cultural totem pole than divorced males is never married males over age 30.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    The only members lower on the LDS social/cultural totem pole than divorced males is never married males over age 30.
    Yeah, those guys never catch a break... someone is always b*tching about them:

[...]
    Now, I have thought a lot lately about you young men who are of an age to marry but who have not yet felt to do so. I see lovely young ladies who desire to be married and to raise families, and yet their opportunities are limited because so many young men are postponing marriage.

This is not a new situation. Much has been said concerning this matter by past Presidents of the Church. I share with you just one or two examples of their counsel.

Said President Harold B. Lee, “We are not doing our duty as holders of the priesthood when we go beyond the marriageable age and withhold ourselves from an honorable marriage to these lovely women.”6

President Gordon B. Hinckley said this: “My heart reaches out to … our single sisters, who long for marriage and cannot seem to find it. … I have far less sympathy for the young men, who under the customs of our society, have the prerogative to take the initiative in these matters but in so many cases fail to do so.”7
    [...]
    https://www.lds.org/general-conferen...power?lang=eng

Then folks are scratching their heads wondering why they leave the church.
    Last edited by Uncle Ted; 01-29-2018 at 01:34 PM.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Yeah, those guys never catch a break... someone is always b*tching about them:

https://www.lds.org/general-conferen...power?lang=eng

Then folks are scratching their heads wondering why they leave the church.
    Ten years ago I would have been counted in this undesirable demographic. The thing is, we don't know why it might take an individual longer than average to find and marry a great woman. For me I can say it was never that I didn't want to. But I'm glad it didn't happen before I was ready. I do think the messaging to the church and to that particular audience is getting better. At least you had to look back seven years to find that talk. My perception is that in the last few years there are not nearly as many never married male bashing talks as there used to be.

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    Ten years ago I would have been counted in this undesirable demographic. The thing is, we don't know why it might take an individual longer than average to find and marry a great woman. For me I can say it was never that I didn't want to. But I'm glad it didn't happen before I was ready. I do think the messaging to the church and to that particular audience is getting better. At least you had to look back seven years to find that talk. My perception is that in the last few years there are not nearly as many never married male bashing talks as there used to be.
    That's because you're not noticing them, because you're married, not divorced. You think they're not having discussions in young adult wards?
    Last edited by Topper; 01-29-2018 at 02:35 PM.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    That's because you're not noticing them, because you're married, not divorced. You think they're not having discussions in young adult wards?
    I'm sure in singles wards they are still talking. I'm referring to general conference. I do still notice male bashing talks despite being married. I probably wouldn't if I had married young.

The lesson was on the flood, food storage was mentioned and seemed like that dominated the lesson, were to get milk and potatoes, what to do if bad things happen how could we survive. Guy that cut arm. On and on. Didn,t yet to Babel. Lots of food storage experts there.