I learned in church today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RedSox View Post
    He's the worst at doing this. If you've seen him, just say it, RGS! He came to my dad's stake 7 months ago and made similar statements, which got the stake buzzing. He gives me the creeps, though, so I may be biased against him.
    When he said that "he knew him" it didn't seem to me that he was implying that he had seen him. It felt like he was comfortable with his personal relationship with the saviour and that he had come to know him through study, good works, etc. That was my personal take on it at least when I heard him say it. As I mentioned before, it was quite comforting to hear him say it and strengthened my resolve to live a better life.

Comment

He's the worst at doing this. If you've seen him, just say it, RGS! He came to my dad's stake 7 months ago and made similar statements, which got the stake buzzing. He gives me the creeps, though, so I may be biased against him.
      It feels like strategic ambiguity to me. In the 19th century, Mormon leaders were candid about such things.
      We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

I'd be interested to see how they translate his remarks into Spanish and Portuguese.

If they use "Yo sé cómo es el Señor" or "Eu sei como é o Senhor"
        that's completely and utterly different from "Yo conozco al Señor" and "Eu conheço ao Senhor."

Conocer implies personal experiential knowledge. It's meaning is both tacit and implicit. And, Scott speaks Spanish, and will know what he means.
        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
          I'd be interested to see how they translate his remarks into Spanish and Portuguese.

that's completely and utterly different from "Yo conozco al Señor" and "Eu conheço ao Senhor."

Conocer implies personal experiential knowledge. It's meaning is both tacit and implicit. And, Scott speaks Spanish, and will know what he means.
          I agree. That translation will be very interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post

As I understand how the translations work, the translators themselves did the translations for the talks they were covering. The person that told me this translated in the 90s, so things could have changed. If Elder Scott doesn't translate it himself, the translation probably reflects the translator's understanding rather than Elder Scott's.
            Not that, sickos.

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint258 View Post
              As I understand how the translations work, the translators themselves did the translations for the talks they were covering. The person that told me this translated in the 90s, so things could have changed. If Elder Scott doesn't translate it himself, the translation probably reflects the translator's understanding rather than Elder Scott's.
              It's very easy for me to see why Spanish-speaking members are often confused about Church doctrine. Maybe if we had a Spanish-speaking (native) Apostle, things could improve. Seguimos esperando.

Scott normally has his GC talks pre-recorded in Spanish, so I'm guessing that he'll be the translator. Either way, if the translator does publish it a certain way, a letter to CHQ asking for clarification might be fun.
              "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
                It feels like strategic ambiguity to me.
                Oftentimes I wonder if they know just what they are doing in cases like this or if they are just outright oblivious. I want to believe the latter, at least for my sake. However, maybe I'm the crazy one for not reading into their message and coming away with something that maybe actually has happened.

My stake seems to be incredibly desirous of seeing the Lord. We've had talks on how to see him so this is nothing new. Suffice it to say that I didn't utter a peep during the lesson on Sunday.
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

He gives me the creeps, though, so I may be biased against him.

Not sure why this is. Some of it is his statements. Some of it is his delivery. But, mostly, I think it's his overly keen awareness of camera angles. Also, his shaky-serious voice. Almost a toned-down scolding.

Comment

He gives me the creeps, though, so I may be biased against him.
                    The stare?
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Portland Ute View Post

Not sure why this is. Some of it is his statements. Some of it is his delivery. But, mostly, I think it's his overly keen awareness of camera angles. Also, his shaky-serious voice. Almost a toned-down scolding.
                      Add to it that he's always been the one to deliver the sexual sin talks.
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                        Add to it that he's always been the one to deliver the sexual sin talks.
                        I love Elder Scott.

Comment

If you haven't been asked to be the witness couple at the temple, you need to ask yourself why and then change whatever isn't right.
                          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                            If you haven't been asked to be the witness couple at the temple, you need to ask yourself why and then change whatever isn't right.
                            Who said that? It's true, sure, but did somebody actually say that?
                            I'm like LeBron James.
                            -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              If you feel proud when you are asked to be the witness couple at the temple, you need to ask yourself why and then change whatever isn't right.
                              "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                              "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                              "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                                Who said that? It's true, sure, but did somebody actually say that?
                                Today's theme for Sac was forgiveness. A woman was speaking about some of her experiences and noted that she was frustrated while in the temple and she couldn't figure out why she and her husband were not chosen. She said the session was small and she had a distinct impression that they were going to he picked. When they were not, she was upset. Later,she realized she hadn't forgiven so and so from awhile back. The next time she went to the temple, she and her husband were picked.

We don't have a cuckoo for cocoa puffs emoticon (I think we need one and jeff Lebowski has recently shown a willingness to add to our growing lexicon) but if we were to have one, I'd insert it here and now.
                                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X