I learned in church today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
    There's been a less stringent approach to Sacrament prayers the last few years... Bishop's are taking into consideration the abilities of the prayer giver, and their mental toughness to stand real time correction in front of two hundred people. Weaker prayer givers are given a wide berth because it's a worse option to have to sit through six failed prayer attempts and then ultimately surrender to a bad prayer anyway.

You asked, I'll answer. Saying someone is "retarded" is not just politically incorrect. It's more than that. You just don't do it. That's like saying that "not" calling a black person the n-word is just being politically correct. (wink-wink) That's not true - you just don't do it. Period. Regardless of political affiliation. Mentally challenged is insulting too by the way.

If you feel the need to comment you would say "brain injured."
    This should help with this issue.

when-is-it-okay-to-say-retard-f44f14ec77146a00eddb3c49b46ce08f.jpg
    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post

[ATTACH]9403[/ATTACH]
      In short, the only thing that is ever "retarded" is progress. As in "our progress along the Appalachian Trail was retarded by a warren of rabid rabbits." People aren't.

Comment

• Originally posted by LVAllen View Post
        In short, the only thing that is ever "retarded" is progress. As in "our progress along the Appalachian Trail was retarded by a warren of rabid rabbits." People aren't.
        Whoa, whoa, whoa, did you even read the flow chart?!
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by LVAllen View Post
          In short, the only thing that is ever "retarded" is progress. As in "our progress along the Appalachian Trail was thwarted by a warren of rabid rabbits." People aren't.
          FIFY

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
          -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

FIFY
            Nah, that connotes that the rabid rabbits stopped all progress. If you mean hindered, slowed down, or delayed, it works. Similar to the musical term ritardando. You don't come to a full stop, just gradually slow.

Of course, you could still just use hindered, slowed down, or delayed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sullyute View Post
              The pioneers are rolling over in their graves at how easy we have it today in the church. I seriously wonder if this religion can still sufficiently produce the faith necessary for salvation.
              Seriously what is the world coming to when the Bishop of the ward no longer routinely publicly humiliates teenagers with dyslexia in front of the entire ward?

Bunch of pansies these current MOTCOJCOLDSs.

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                Seriously what is the world coming to when the Bishop of the ward no longer routinely publicly humiliates teenagers with dyslexia in front of the entire ward?

Bunch of pansies these current MOTCOJCOLDSs.
                Damn straight.

I only ever had to start over one time. And that was in Spanish, on my mission. I started reading the wrong prayer. Had to flip the card over.
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

FIFY
                  Now do these:
                  You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                  Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                  You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                    Damn straight.

I only ever had to start over one time. And that was in Spanish, on my mission. I started reading the wrong prayer. Had to flip the card over.
                    Me too...

Comment

[ATTACH]9403[/ATTACH]
                      I would suggest people follow this chart when considering using swear words.

Comment

• What to Know About Walter Sobchak Bread Dough

Walter Sobchak Loaves

When do you Walter Sobchak your dough?

Walter Sobchak Dough

Sometimes someone throws you a softball...

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                        -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• There's a special needs young man in our ward. I'm not sure what the exact diagnosis is. He can't speak though he occasionally makes really loud sounds. He has a very difficult time moving about and doesn't seem to have control of his limbs when sitting down. He demands a lot of physical exertion from his parents, not to mention the mental and emotional requirements of raising a special needs child. A few months ago I was sitting in sacrament, absent-mindedly people watching. This young man's mother was gently and affectionately rubbing her sons back. The father was on the other side of the mother and had his arm around her. The scene touched my heart. I've since watched that family every Sunday to see a beautiful Christian sermon that simply can't be spoken.

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                            There's a special needs young man in our ward. I'm not sure what the exact diagnosis is. He can't speak though he occasionally makes really loud sounds. He has a very difficult time moving about and doesn't seem to have control of his limbs when sitting down. He demands a lot of physical exertion from his parents, not to mention the mental and emotional requirements of raising a special needs child. A few months ago I was sitting in sacrament, absent-mindedly people watching. This young man's mother was gently and affectionately rubbing her sons back. The father was on the other side of the mother and had his arm around her. The scene touched my heart. I've since watched that family every Sunday to see a beautiful Christian sermon that simply can't be spoken.
                            there is a family in my ward who has a daughter very similar to what you describe. her mom says she has the mental capacity of a 2 year old. she has a twin sister who has the mental capacity of a 7 year old (they are 19) - i don't think any of us can even begin to imagine how difficult their lives are, but similar to the couple you describe, they seem to be making it work and having each other's backs through this literally never ending process that will be their life on earth.
                            I'm like LeBron James.
                            -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
                              I would suggest people follow this chart when considering using swear words.
                              No f***ing way
                              As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                              --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

No f***ing way
                                Exactly. Swearing is PC now.

Comment

Working...
                                X