I learned in church today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
    It’s not a big issue but the question is where does the kid go for second hour on the 1 and 3 sundays once he turns 12. Do they go to twelve year old SS class only to repeat the same SS class the next year? This guidance fixes that issue, which isn’t an issue as it’s an easy thing to work around. I’ve just heard the issue come up a lot since our church leaders can’t do anything unless it’s specifically stated in the handbook.
    why are so many people such robots? Everything has to be programmed. Just to make sure you know I am not ripping on Mormons...(er members of the church of whatever I am supposed to call you) this is very evident at my work, at my kids schools, at my wife's work, and pretty much everywhere but it drives me crazy. Just do what you think is best and if it winds up not being the best, change it to become better. It makes me lose my shit bunch of brainless morons.
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
      why are so many people such robots? Everything has to be programmed. Just to make sure you know I am not ripping on Mormons...(er members of the church of whatever I am supposed to call you) this is very evident at my work, at my kids schools, at my wife's work, and pretty much everywhere but it drives me crazy. Just do what you think is best and if it winds up not being the best, change it to become better. It makes me lose my shit bunch of brainless morons.
      Change is hard. On our mission we taught the church is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow more or less, I'm starting to see why, we just aren't good with change. It's amazing we still don't wear G's down to our ankles or have three wives at home.

Comment

It’s not a big issue but the question is where does the kid go for second hour on the 1 and 3 sundays once he turns 12. Do they go to twelve year old SS class only to repeat the same SS class the next year? This guidance fixes that issue, which isn’t an issue as it’s an easy thing to work around. I’ve just heard the issue come up a lot since our church leaders can’t do anything unless it’s specifically stated in the handbook.
        I don't see the difference from what it's been. New 12 yo's have always been in limbo attending Primary for an hour before going to priesthood. The two hour block doesn't change that.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
          I don't see the difference from what it's been. New 12 yo's have always been in limbo attending Primary for an hour before going to priesthood. The two hour block doesn't change that.
          The difference is that right now once they turn 12 they no longer go to singing/sharing time and instead attend deacons/beehives. They don’t currently attend SS until the year after they turn 12.

Under two hour church, they either attend all of primary including singing/sharing time or go to Sunday school, or they attend primary class for 25 mins and then go to SS half way through class.

It’s pretty clear this change is a direct response to this issue.

FTR, my bishop asked me (I teach the 13 year old SS class) what I thought when he first discovered the issue. We talked about it and decided to have the 12 year olds just start attending my SS class as they turn 12. We figured out a reasonable way forward but many others in the stake were freaking out about it. Thankfully they now have their further light and knowledge.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Our Bishop asked the Stake President specifically about this once. The SP said "I don't care how you do it as long as you are consistent and do it the same for everyone."

Kids in our ward have been dumping Primary as soon as they turn 12 for years. They go to Sunday School and YM/YW.

We used to have 3 Sunday School classes and would run into issues of kids also thinking they needed to advance as soon as they had their birthday in Sunday School as well. Now we only have 2 - one is for kids Jr. High and younger, the other is High School and older. So the kids are happy not to jump mid-year now.

Comment

• Originally posted by LVAllen View Post
              DQ is currently 3. TQ has a few, and PQ has a few, and it seems like the older quorums have activities together pretty regularly. But there is an age gap, and with the changes, all of the Teachers will get bumped up to PQ. It's fine, we expected him to have some alone time, but previously the expectation was that it would be limited to about 6 months, the length between birthdays. I'll probably push to have him meet with the PQ anyway. Be a bit awkward to go from being the DQP to still meeting with the DQ and a new president.
              Our ward has always all met together. We have about 6-8 that attend. We only have a YMP and 1st counselor and they cover it all.

Comment

The difference is that right now once they turn 12 they no longer go to singing/sharing time and instead attend deacons/beehives. They don’t currently attend SS until the year after they turn 12.

Under two hour church, they either attend all of primary including singing/sharing time or go to Sunday school, or they attend primary class for 25 mins and then go to SS half way through class.

It’s pretty clear this change is a direct response to this issue.

FTR, my bishop asked me (I teach the 13 year old SS class) what I thought when he first discovered the issue. We talked about it and decided to have the 12 year olds just start attending my SS class as they turn 12. We figured out a reasonable way forward but many others in the stake were freaking out about it. Thankfully they now have their further light and knowledge.
                This is probably something I should just let drop because it really doesn't matter, but I still don't get it. If you turn 12 midway, you go to priesthood/YW the week they do that and the other week, you would do Primary. There is no leaving primary 25 minutes in because there is no SS class for you until the next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                  This is probably something I should just let drop because it really doesn't matter, but I still don't get it. If you turn 12 midway, you go to priesthood/YW the week they do that and the other week, you would do Primary. There is no leaving primary 25 minutes in because there is no SS class for you until the next year.
                  This is what we were planning to do. But Moliere is right, there was no clear-cut answer to how to handle kids that turn 12 mid-year. We were going to have the kids attend YM/YW on the second and fourth Sundays and primary on the first and third. It wasn't ideal, as the primary teachers would have fewer kids there every other week, with attendance declining each week till the youngest aged out. Problem solved now.

Comment

• My daughter turns 13 this week, and will not advance to Mia Maids 12 months early. Interesting.
                    *Banned*

Comment

• So a boy with a December birthday is going to become a deacon a few weeks after turning 11? Wow.

I'm going to miss the hilarity of seeing kids with October-December birthdays who are almost 12 have to sit next to the 3-4 year old Sunbeams during the primary program in September. They always seem so happy to be there.
                      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                        So a boy with a December birthday is going to become a deacon a few weeks after turning 11? Wow.

I'm going to miss the hilarity of seeing kids with October-December birthdays who are almost 12 have to sit next to the 3-4 year old Sunbeams during the primary program in September. They always seem so happy to be there.
                        In our Ward there are so few kids that if you left primary at some point in the year, you still come back for the primary program. And yes they were miserable too.

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                          My daughter turns 13 this week, and will not advance to Mia Maids 12 months early. Interesting.
                          holy crap.
                          I'm like LeBron James.
                          -mpfunk

Comment

• Someone clever enough to come up with an acronym similar to MAGA should start a President Nelson thread. We rarely discuss things we learned in church in this thread now - it's more things we learn about the church as directed by a hold-my-rootbeer prophet.
                            sigpic
                            "Outlined against a blue, gray
                            October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                            Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                              holy crap.
                              I know [emoji31]
                              *Banned*

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                                I know [emoji31]
                                i think she was about 4 or so when i was at your place. that is crazy.
                                I'm like LeBron James.
                                -mpfunk

Comment

Working...
                                X