I learned in church today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
    We sang only three verses of “I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day.” If there is ever a song that you don’t want to cut short, it is that one. The entire church program was amazing though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree - that one need the last 2 verses. We also sang "I heard the bells...", we did sing all 5 verses though. Recently I swallowed my pride and joined the ward choir. I sit next to a former member of the Tab Choir, so he can drown me out when I hit a false note

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Originally posted by Copelius View Post
      Got to do O Holy Night with my wife playing piano, my boy playing violin and me singing. I am really liking the voice violin duets now that my son is advanced enough to really play just about any church appropriate literature. We did a Sally DeFord piece in February that was really nice as well. Got a flute and cello coming on the pipeline as well. I cannot see much room for my percussionist son though as far as church music goes. Good thing all the kids will have some piano as well.
      We did Sally DeFord's Oh Holy Night with violin/piano/organ/congreation/choir yesterday. Of course, the violinist bailed on me the night before, via text! "Dear Bro. Meanie, I don't think I'll be able to play tomorrow". Seriously!

Fortunately the organist filled in on the obbligato, but it would've sounded better with the violin.

Comment

• Originally posted by Copelius View Post
        I cannot see much room for my percussionist son though as far as church music goes.
        There is plenty of room for him.
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
          We did Sally DeFord's Oh Holy Night with violin/piano/organ/congreation/choir yesterday. Of course, the violinist bailed on me the night before, via text! "Dear Bro. Meanie, I don't think I'll be able to play tomorrow". Seriously!

Fortunately the organist filled in on the obbligato, but it would've sounded better with the violin.
          Give me a call next time and I will send my son over.
          “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

• We had a guitarist who played Ave Maria. Not sure which was more scandalous: the guitar or the catholic song. Our bishop is up for anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
              We had a guitarist who played Ave Maria. Not sure which was more scandalous: the guitar or the catholic song. Our bishop is up for anything.
              Did the guitar player sing, too? If not, it’s not really very ‘catholic.’ Plus it’s a beautiful song
              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                We had a guitarist who played Ave Maria. Not sure which was more scandalous: the guitar or the catholic song. Our bishop is up for anything.
                We had a guitar play silent night.
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• We only had sacrament meeting as well combined with the other two units in our building. The final number was an O Holy Night solo performed by a soprano in the Metropolitan Opera. It was a good meeting.

Comment

• There were four hymns and five other musical numbers for our sacrament meeting, and I played the organ or piano for all but two of them, including one where I didn't know I would be playing until the hour before (and didn't know what I would play until after I sat down at the piano). Plus I was going through (and am still going through) the worst cold I've ever had in my life. Somebody in the congregation told me it reminded them of Michael Jordan's infamous "flu game." I told him MJ pushed off.
                    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• So I went to Priesthood for the fist time in four years yesterday. I was released from Primary in December, but there always seem to be sick kids, 3rd hour teacher training, playoff games, etc., so I hadn't made it to Priesthood yet.

So I walk in the room, and see a guy I know from another ward in the stake sitting there. We aren't that close, but have some of the same friends, and played on the same softball team one year a few years back, so I go ahead and make the visitor feel welcome. "Hey Nero" (not his real name), I say. "Welcome! What brings you here?" He gives me a weird, awkward look and says "Haha, I've been here 8 months." I explain that I have been exiled in Primary and out of the loop. He gets a serious look on his face and says "I've been though some hard times recently." Upon reflection, I decide to not ask if his wife and four children are also in our ward. So a good start.

Then, the older gentleman in charge of business cleaning stands up to talk. He surprises me by, for once, not taking any opportunity to talk about how rich his son is (maybe he had a rough week in the markets or something). Instead, he starts haranguing the entire group because the previous morning there was only one person who showed up to clean the building, and then the Stake President (who is in our ward) showed up, and do you think he was happy??? No, he wasn't!. We all know the SP, and I think we can all imagine just what kind of mood that put him in!!! And you can just imagine he had a talk with the bishop this morning about it!!! So if your lives are too busy to take an hour Saturday morning to clean, then just come Friday evening for heaven's sake! And if you can't come Friday either, at least send an email or something!?!?! Have I mentioned yet how mad the stake president was????

It went on like that for a while. I thought about asking if we still had to come clean the building if we didn't really care how mad the SP got at us, but he was kind of on a roll, so I stayed quiet. For the record, it wasn't my week to clean. I like cleaning the church. But I was coaching our youth basketball team to two glorious wins with Parrot Head (need to get that thread started while I am thinking of it).

So after that the teacher got up there, and we took turns reading a conference talk aloud for the next 20 minutes.

So that was my first week back. Sure hope no kids get sick next week.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                        So I went to Priesthood for the fist time in four years yesterday. I was released from Primary in December, but there always seem to be sick kids, 3rd hour teacher training, playoff games, etc., so I hadn't made it to Priesthood yet.

So I walk in the room, and see a guy I know from another ward in the stake sitting there. We aren't that close, but have some of the same friends, and played on the same softball team one year a few years back, so I go ahead and make the visitor feel welcome. "Hey Nero" (not his real name), I say. "Welcome! What brings you here?" He gives me a weird, awkward look and says "Haha, I've been here 8 months." I explain that I have been exiled in Primary and out of the loop. He gets a serious look on his face and says "I've been though some hard times recently." Upon reflection, I decide to not ask if his wife and four children are also in our ward. So a good start.

Then, the older gentleman in charge of business cleaning stands up to talk. He surprises me by, for once, not taking any opportunity to talk about how rich his son is (maybe he had a rough week in the markets or something). Instead, he starts haranguing the entire group because the previous morning there was only one person who showed up to clean the building, and then the Stake President (who is in our ward) showed up, and do you think he was happy??? No, he wasn't!. We all know the SP, and I think we can all imagine just what kind of mood that put him in!!! And you can just imagine he had a talk with the bishop this morning about it!!! So if your lives are too busy to take an hour Saturday morning to clean, then just come Friday evening for heaven's sake! And if you can't come Friday either, at least send an email or something!?!?! Have I mentioned yet how mad the stake president was????

It went on like that for a while. I thought about asking if we still had to come clean the building if we didn't really care how mad the SP got at us, but he was kind of on a roll, so I stayed quiet. For the record, it wasn't my week to clean. I like cleaning the church. But I was coaching our youth basketball team to two glorious wins with Parrot Head (need to get that thread started while I am thinking of it).

So after that the teacher got up there, and we took turns reading a conference talk aloud for the next 20 minutes.

clark addison maybe you’ve been away too long but that is basically how it goes every week
                        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

So I went to Priesthood for the fist time in four years yesterday. I was released from Primary in December, but there always seem to be sick kids, 3rd hour teacher training, playoff games, etc., so I hadn't made it to Priesthood yet.

Yeah, we had a talk once about cleaning the building like this... they made the mistake of asking me why I didn't show up. I said, "I was doing my home teaching. Put me down for 100% this month."
                          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                            clark addison maybe you’ve been away too long but that is basically how it goes every week
                            That is exactly what I am afraid of.

Except hopefully not a new divorced guy every week.

Comment

That is exactly what I am afraid of.

Except hopefully not a new divorced guy every week.
                              I am surprised the new divorced guy even shows up... the divorced guys in my ward usually drop off the radar within the first six months. And the family (ex-wife and kids) get moved over to the HPG to home teach. I am home teaching three single women now. Why do you think I never show up for building cleaning?
                              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                                I am surprised the new divorced guy even shows up... the divorced guys in my ward usually drop off the radar within the first six months. And the family (ex-wife and kids) get moved over to the HPG to home teach. I am home teaching three single women now. Why do you think I never show up for building cleaning?
                                Being divorced in church culture is awful. There is nothing but scorn and nothing to do. Being a retread in the church is difficult for anybody and if you have doubts, out you go.
                                "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Working...
                                X