I learned in church today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
    I accompanied our youth to do baptisms for the dead last week. While we were waiting in the baptristry chapel, the brother presiding over the baptistry spoke to the youth, many of whom were there doing baptisms for the first time. During his sermon, he was emphasizing the importance of vicarious temple work when he stated the following:

"It has been estimated that 80 to 85 percent of the temple work we do for the dead is accepted by those in the spirit world for whom the work is performed."

I was quickly found covering my mouth to prevent myself from laughing out loud.

Thread winner thus far.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I accompanied our youth to do baptisms for the dead last week. While we were waiting in the baptristry chapel, the brother presiding over the baptistry spoke to the youth, many of whom were there doing baptisms for the first time. During his sermon, he was emphasizing the importance of vicarious temple work when he stated the following:

"It has been estimated that 80 to 85 percent of the temple work we do for the dead is accepted by those in the spirit world for whom the work is performed."

Well, technically he is probably right in that someone, somewhere estimated those percentages.

In my last TR interview, the interviewer started off by saying that it has been said that by holding a TR shows that you qualify for the CK. I'm sure someone has said that somewhere but that lends no credence to the statement. I quickly told him my wife and kids were waiting impatiently in the car so it would behoove him to just ask the questions so I could get out of there as fast as possible.
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Fascinating.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post
          Well, technically he is probably right in that someone, somewhere estimated those percentages.

In my last TR interview, the interviewer started off by saying that it has been said that by holding a TR shows that you qualify for the CK. I'm sure someone has said that somewhere but that lends no credence to the statement. I quickly told him my wife and kids were waiting impatiently in the car so it would behoove him to just ask the questions so I could get out of there as fast as possible.
          LOL, did you really? When I was married and really, really wanted my TR, I would say whatever I thought the interviewer wanted me to say, well on the Stake level. Not that I would lie, but whatever he said I would nod my head yes.

After the divorce, I guess I don't feel the need to have one as much, so I pretty much speak up when I disagree. I have yet to be denied over disagreeing, but had a couple of strong admonishments given to me. I probably should just agree and move on. Either way I leave with the spirits of BS and that isn't good.

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
            LOL, did you really? When I was married and really, really wanted my TR, I would say whatever I thought the interviewer wanted me to say, well on the Stake level. Not that I would lie, but whatever he said I would nod my head yes.

After the divorce, I guess I don't feel the need to have one as much, so I pretty much speak up when I disagree. I have yet to be denied over disagreeing, but had a couple of strong admonishments given to me. I probably should just agree and move on. Either way I leave with the spirits of BS and that isn't good.
            hopefully I didn't mislead you since I didn't tell him that someone, somewhere could have said that but I did tell him to cut to the chase and get on with it, which he did. I don't mind shooting the breeze with my bishop since he's a cool guy and I enjoy talking to him, but at the stake level since I don't know anyone I just want to get it done with, especially when it's 8pm and I've been waiting 30 minutes and I was the 3rd person in line. A 15 minute TR interview is too much unless the person comes out of the interview crying, which didn't happen in this instance.
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

That really pisses me off. That means I've been baptized at least 500 times for naught. I've missed watching football games for those unaccepting, spirit prison dwelling bastards. Never again.
              A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                I would have probably been quite sad. He was a Temple Worker after all and would know the 85% to be accurate. I mean he had to get that number for some really high up person in the church.

By the way, why do some people say someone died because they had to be called to the other side to do missionary work. How hard could missionary work be on the other side?
                Well if they're still leaving 15-20% on the table, given the heavenly venue, it must either be pretty difficult or we're calling a bunch of stiffs to be missionaries.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                  Well if they're still leaving 15-20% on the table, given the heavenly venue, it must either be pretty difficult or we're calling a bunch of stiffs to be missionaries.
                  Hadn't thought of it that way. My thoughts were it should be a slam dunk and therefor you don't need to bring the "best of the best" home early to be missionaries. However, you make a good point. Under those circumstances, 80-85% is a bad percentage.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                    You know, the more I think about this the more I bet that 15-20% of people don't realize they're gay until they die. Then they automatically realize that they hate Mormons. Nothing those missionaries can do about that.
                    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                      Hmmm... did the events described in the BOM happen 50 million years ago?
                      Uncle Ted riding the american horse:

Any more questions?
                      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by SLCPunk View Post
                        Fascinating.
                        Do you plan to expand to 2 words on your 2nd post, 3 words on your 3rd post,..etc
                        "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Originally posted by CJF View Post
                          You know, the more I think about this the more I bet that 15-20% of people don't realize they're gay until they die. Then they automatically realize that they hate Mormons. Nothing those missionaries can do about that.
                          Reminds me of a favorite Mark Twain quote: "Heaven for the climate; Hell for the company."

Comment

I learned that women CEO's are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by fusnik View Post
                              I learned that women CEO's are evil.
                              Because they're women, CEOs, or both?
                              Not that, sickos.

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint258 View Post
                                Because they're women, CEOs, or both?
                                Has to be both... Pray tell, fus. Give us some more context...

Comment

Working...
                                X