I learned in church today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    LOL... yeah, the government does force everyone to have a colonoscopy. I would have told the kid what the government actually does to everyone is a lot worse and left it at that.
    Sounds like the kid was talking figuratively.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
      Sounds like the kid was talking figuratively.
      Or maybe he'd heard his step dad say something about getting reamed by the govt. and thought it was the same thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
        Or maybe he'd heard his step dad say something about getting reamed by the govt. and thought it was the same thing.
        That was the figuratively speaking I was talking about!
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• I learned that the speaker, who was new to the ward, not only attended Harvard but earned his master's degree from Harvard. I also learned that he is a fantasy novelist. I learned all of that within the first two minutes. Sadly, the rest of his talk did not do his resume justice.
          "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
            I learned that the speaker, who was new to the ward, not only attended Harvard but earned his master's degree from Harvard. I also learned that he is a fantasy novelist. I learned all of that within the first two minutes. Sadly, the rest of his talk did not do his resume justice.
            What were you doing in sacrament meeting?
            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
            -Turtle
            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
              What were you doing in sacrament meeting?
              Occasionally I indulge friends and family.
              "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                Occasionally I indulge friends and family.
                If you paid for that indulgence... you went to the wrong church.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Currently sitting in sacrament meeting in a new ward after a huge stake boundary re-org.

To answer everyone’s most urgent concern, Parrot Head and I are still in the same ward.

This is the fourth split/boundary change since we have lived here. We are now back in a ward that we were founding members of ten years or so ago.

Anyway, the bishop just made a comment that inspired this post. We are on the 1:00 schedule, and due to a dearth of people in callings, we only have sacrament meeting today (yay!). As he stood up to bear his testimony, he said “since we have no other meetings today, we can go as late as 2:30 with your testimonies”.

I could have sworn that my 13 year old daughter never lets a word of sacrament meeting penetrate her brain, but I guess I was wrong because she jerked her head up in shock, and turned to me with a look of despair.

The next 45 minutes will go a long way in determining how I feel about this new ward. If the members take the bishop’s words to heart and we have a 90 minute F&T meeting, I don’t know if I will ever be able to fit in here.

Comment

• General Conference never runs late. At times, it ends early. We review conference talks half the month. You would think we would follow the example of the brethren in time management as well.
                    Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                    Currently sitting in sacrament meeting in a new ward after a huge stake boundary re-org.

To answer everyone’s most urgent concern, Parrot Head and I are still in the same ward.

This is the fourth split/boundary change since we have lived here. We are now back in a ward that we were founding members of ten years or so ago.

Anyway, the bishop just made a comment that inspired this post. We are on the 1:00 schedule, and due to a dearth of people in callings, we only have sacrament meeting today (yay!). As he stood up to bear his testimony, he said “since we have no other meetings today, we can go as late as 2:30 with your testimonies”.

I could have sworn that my 13 year old daughter never lets a word of sacrament meeting penetrate her brain, but I guess I was wrong because she jerked her head up in shock, and turned to me with a look of despair.

The next 45 minutes will go a long way in determining how I feel about this new ward. If the members take the bishop’s words to heart and we have a 90 minute F&T meeting, I don’t know if I will ever be able to fit in here.

Comment

• It is now 2:06. Anyone who stands up is officially on my list.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                        It is now 2:06. Anyone who stands up is officially on my list.
                        You could just stand up and leave
                        As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by LVAllen View Post
                          General Conference never runs late. At times, it ends early. We review conference talks half the month. You would think we would follow the example of the brethren in time management as well.
                          Mack follows the brethren. Always starts right on time and let's us out on time out early, even if he has to skip something that was on his list to work on.
                          “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

• Update, the "amen" of the closing prayer was updated at 2:27. This new ward has an uphill battle with me.

The only plus was that one of the OT testimonies was from the stake patriarch who gave me a shout out.

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                              You could just stand up and leave
                              Surprisingly, I am 100% with funk on this one. Get up and go. You put in your time.
                              τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
                                Surprisingly, I am 100% with funk on this one. Get up and go. You put in your time.

Running a meeting too long is dumb. So is walking out if it goes long.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X