No announcement yet.

I learned in church today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I received an email tonight regarding this weekend’s “Priesthood Commemoration Camp.” WTF?! We can’t even have the Fathers and Sons anymore? And these people expect to improve the Scout program? Okay. Sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
      I received an email tonight regarding this weekend’s “Priesthood Commemoration Camp.” WTF?! We can’t even have the Fathers and Sons anymore? And these people expect to improve the Scout program? Okay. Sure.

We still call ours Fathers & Sons Campout. Of course it was cancelled due to severe weather...

Comment

I received an email tonight regarding this weekend’s “Priesthood Commemoration Camp.” WTF?! We can’t even have the Fathers and Sons anymore? And these people expect to improve the Scout program? Okay. Sure.

It's been priesthood commemoration for at least ten years, dude!
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

We never had any kind of fathers and sons in my new ward when we moved in. I tried to talk the bishop into it, but the response I got was that we had WAY too many apartments with young families that don't have kids, or single women who have kids with no dad in the home, or a variety of other reasons why someone was going to be offended if we tried to hold a fathers and sons campout.

So when I was in YM I tried again - and billed it as a "Priesthood Commemoration Campout". We invited all past, present, and future priesthood holders - and I committed to the bishop that we would use it as a YM/Scout campout and I would bring any of the YM who didn't have an adult male available to go with them.

There's still plenty who call it a fathers and sons camp. No matter what I do, I can't get them to drop it - so we still have people who think they can't/shouldn't come unless they have a kid they're bringing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
            We never had any kind of fathers and sons in my new ward when we moved in. I tried to talk the bishop into it, but the response I got was that we had WAY too many apartments with young families that don't have kids, or single women who have kids with no dad in the home, or a variety of other reasons why someone was going to be offended if we tried to hold a fathers and sons campout.

So when I was in YM I tried again - and billed it as a "Priesthood Commemoration Campout". We invited all past, present, and future priesthood holders - and I committed to the bishop that we would use it as a YM/Scout campout and I would bring any of the YM who didn't have an adult male available to go with them.

There's still plenty who call it a fathers and sons camp. No matter what I do, I can't get them to drop it - so we still have people who think they can't/shouldn't come unless they have a kid they're bringing.
            That's my "go to" line.

Random Church Leader: Hey Bro. Tick...you going to the Priesthood Commemoration Campout this weekend?

Me: You mean the Father/Son campout? No dice.

RCL: We don't call it that anymore, so that people like you that have only daughters feel welcome.

Me: Why can't we just have a Father/Daughter campout? I'll go to that.

I just get the stare.

Comment

• My daughters have lamented for the last few years that there is no father-daughter campout.
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                That's my "go to" line.

Random Church Leader: Hey Bro. Tick...you going to the Priesthood Commemoration Campout this weekend?

Me: You mean the Father/Son campout? No dice.

RCL: We don't call it that anymore, so that people like you that have only daughters feel welcome.

Me: Why can't we just have a Father/Daughter campout? I'll go to that.

I just get the stare.
                Because it's only May, and the daddy-daughter campout isn't until June.

Comment

• I’ve lived In wards that called it “men in the woods”

The ward I grew up in had daddy daughter camp out until a sexual assault occurred and it was cancelled.
                  Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                    I was going to put this in the Boy Scouts thread, but decided that thread has already been hijacked enough.

Last Sunday, one of my former priests was ordained an Elder. My MP ordination is probably top-5 spiritual experiences for me, so I was excited for this kid. Before hand, the 1C in the Stake Presidency offered a spiel on agency. I couldn't tell if I agreed with him or not.

He explained the covenant of the priesthood, which I thought was appropriate, but he then went on to say that when you take on that covenant, you are no longer a free agent. You become an agent of God, and you are not permitted to sin any longer. He ended with, "We're not free will warriors. Many people misunderstand the doctrine of agency, and that's why I'm clarifying it for you today."

Now, part of me thinks he's just explaining covenants. Covenants come with rights, privileges, and punishments/remedies. I think he was simply stating that the punishment/remedy for sin after receiving the MP is more severe than before, but his final statements bothered me for some reason. Free will still exists post-ordination; it's just that there's a withdrawal of the spirit and an "amen" to the power and authority of the unrighteous priesthood holder. Something about the way he presented the principle doesn't sit right with me, and I can't really put a finger on what it is.
                    Wow. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised, but I would expect a better understanding of basic gospel principles from a 1C SP. Not "permitted to sin" and "we're not free will warriors" -- wut???

As priesthood holders / agents of God, we still have agency. We have to choose to endure to the end. We have to choose to keep the covenants we have made. Accepting the priesthood is still a probationary state. The process of sanctification is one where we continue to sin, but over time it should be less and less. Repentance is the process of quitting things we are supposed to not do and starting to do the things we are supposed to. This is a gradual process, a ladder, and we continue this climb/path in an imperfect, yet justified state, because of our continuous repenting, the Atonement, and our covenants. Ultimately, when we have proven faithful enough we will be fully sanctified, but for now we are justified by the grace of God, BECAUSE WE STILL SIN. Also, agency is a divine principle -- God possesses and exercises His agency based on a full knowledge of good and evil ("ye shall be as gods knowing good and evil"). He knows sin brings pain and death and always chooses good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                      My daughters have lamented for the last few years that there is no father-daughter campout.
                      I tried to invite my daughter to one of these a few years ago and that effort got sniffed out by a personalized email from the bishop. She was 6 years old.

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                      I’ve lived In wards that called it “men in the woods”

The ward I grew up in had daddy daughter camp out until a sexual assault occurred and it was cancelled.

I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• father/daughter, father/son campouts are stupid and I never go. if I want to go camping with my son, I go camping with my son. if I want to go camping with my daughters, I go camping with my daughters. if I want other people there, I invite other people - the people of my choosing. I don't need the ward to organize it and choose the place - nor do I want them to.
                        I'm like LeBron James.
                        -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                          father/daughter, father/son campouts are stupid and I never go. if I want to go camping with my son, I go camping with my son. if I want to go camping with my daughters, I go camping with my daughters. if I want other people there, I invite other people - the people of my choosing. I don't need the ward to organize it and choose the place - nor do I want them to.
                          You seem like a pleasant person.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            I'm like LeBron James.
                            -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              I he wanted your comment he would have invited you to comment.

Comment

• Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
                                I he wanted your comment he would have invited you to comment.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X