No announcement yet.

I learned in church today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YM/YW will now advance in January of the years they will turn 12/14/16.

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/artic...tion-announced
    Last edited by Surfah; 12-14-2018, 08:32 AM.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Comment

• Looks like bishops are going to have a full plate in January of each year. No rest for the weary.
      "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

• Bishops will also have a larger Priests Quorum to deal with, as it swells with the 15 - 18 y/os. On a personal note, my 13 year old son gets to be the sole Teacher for a solid year, and gets to meet alone during that time unless they combine him with another class. The next older YM will jump to PQ, while the next younger (about 6 months younger) will remain Deacons.

Comment

• I wonder if this change was contemplated back when two hour church was announced. There’s no indication that it was and this seems a bit last minute. The cynic in me sees this as a solution to the 11 year old kids that turn 12 problem that has been raised.

I’m not the biggest fan of the change since I like having ordinations tied to birthdays but in some ways it will be nice to disassociate the priesthood ordinations with specific ages. It will suck for bishops. They will be very busy in December since that is when the interviews will take place for ordinations.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by LVAllen View Post
            Bishops will also have a larger Priests Quorum to deal with, as it swells with the 15 - 18 y/os. On a personal note, my 13 year old son gets to be the sole Teacher for a solid year, and gets to meet alone during that time unless they combine him with another class. The next older YM will jump to PQ, while the next younger (about 6 months younger) will remain Deacons.
            How many other youth are there? If they don't combine the class they are stupid.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
              I wonder if this change was contemplated back when two hour church was announced. There’s no indication that it was and this seems a bit last minute. The cynic in me sees this as a solution to the 11 year old kids that turn 12 problem that has been raised.

I’m not the biggest fan of the change since I like having ordinations tied to birthdays but in some ways it will be nice to disassociate the priesthood ordinations with specific ages. It will suck for bishops. They will be very busy in December since that is when the interviews will take place for ordinations.
              I think this a good solution to a problem that they unintentionally created.

I say get rid of tithing settlement and the Bishop is now less busy. Yes I know they can start in October, but I bet many do not.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                How many other youth are there? If they don't combine the class they are stupid.
                DQ is currently 3. TQ has a few, and PQ has a few, and it seems like the older quorums have activities together pretty regularly. But there is an age gap, and with the changes, all of the Teachers will get bumped up to PQ. It's fine, we expected him to have some alone time, but previously the expectation was that it would be limited to about 6 months, the length between birthdays. I'll probably push to have him meet with the PQ anyway. Be a bit awkward to go from being the DQP to still meeting with the DQ and a new president.

Comment

DQ is currently 3. TQ has a few, and PQ has a few, and it seems like the older quorums have activities together pretty regularly. But there is an age gap, and with the changes, all of the Teachers will get bumped up to PQ. It's fine, we expected him to have some alone time, but previously the expectation was that it would be limited to about 6 months, the length between birthdays. I'll probably push to have him meet with the PQ anyway. Be a bit awkward to go from being the DQP to still meeting with the DQ and a new president.
                  I was the only Deacon in my quorum for about 6 months at one point. Was a bit weird meeting with the adviser and 2nd counselor for DQ class each week. I guess they never thought to combine with TQ. I am no worse for wear, I guess.
                  “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                    I wonder if this change was contemplated back when two hour church was announced. There’s no indication that it was and this seems a bit last minute. The cynic in me sees this as a solution to the 11 year old kids that turn 12 problem that has been raised.

what am I missing, why would 2 hr church affect or be affected by this?

Comment

• Why would any interviews need to happen in December?

Comment

• Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
                        Why would any interviews need to happen in December?
                        From the FAQ:
                        When are youth interviews held?
                        The bishop interviews each young woman when she completes Primary and moves to a new class. He interviews each young man when he completes Primary and when he moves to a new quorum and is ordained to a priesthood office. Youth who are 12 to 15 should meet with the bishop yearly and with one of his counselors at another time during the year. Youth 16 to 18 should typically meet with the bishop twice each year.
                        It would seem that since a youth is moving to a new quorum in January, the interview would take place in anticipation of the new year.

Comment

From the FAQ:

It would seem that since a youth is moving to a new quorum in January, the interview would take place in anticipation of the new year.
                          Still don't see anything that says it has to be December.

Comment

• Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
                            Still don't see anything that says it has to be December.
                            Yeah, and the FAQ specifically says that "However, sustainings and ordinations may need to take place throughout the month [of January] to accommodate family and interview schedules." The interviews could be during the month of January with sustainings or ordinations following.
                            "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                            "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                            This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                            "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                            "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• Originally posted by Maximus View Post
                              what am I missing, why would 2 hr church affect or be affected by this?
                              It’s not a big issue but the question is where does the kid go for second hour on the 1 and 3 sundays once he turns 12. Do they go to twelve year old SS class only to repeat the same SS class the next year? This guidance fixes that issue, which isn’t an issue as it’s an easy thing to work around. I’ve just heard the issue come up a lot since our church leaders can’t do anything unless it’s specifically stated in the handbook.
                              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                                I think this a good solution to a problem that they unintentionally created.
                                You’re probably right.

No kidding, within two hours of the email announcement going out my mom was texting me to ask when our son is scheduled to be ordained a deacon so she can buy plane tickets down. We have a fairly solid group of boys that are 11 years old. My poor bishop is going to have a lot of inquiries this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X