I learned in church today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    That’s the opposite of every kind of training I ever got on the matter.
    Yeah, I told the bishop that this sounded to me like some mid-level leader’s personal opinion rather than doctrine or policy. But they got our stake leaders going on it. I’m not privy to the HQ communiques anymore, so I can’t validate that part of the story.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 02-10-2019, 04:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
      My ward does the chrome tray thing, too, with some kind of rice cake that the priests break up, but the deacon with that tray goes back to the sacrament table and gets a regular tray when the gluten-free people have been served. I would suggest that the gluten-free deacon just carry two trays from the start.
      And what? Use his left hand to pass the sacrament?

Heresy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        That’s the opposite of every kind of training I ever got on the matter.
        Maybe it is another snowflake in your Hold My Root Beer Prophet's snowstorm.
        As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
          My solution is simple. Anyone that doesn’t want to eat the bread provided by the hitch can bring their own bread/cereal and hold it in their hands while the priest says the prayer. Then just eat what you brought. When the tray comes to your row, just pass it along without taking any. Easy peasy.
          Sorry — no way the blessing works unless the item goes under the white lacy tablecloth. I’m sure that’s an important part of how it works.

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
            Maybe it is another snowflake in your Hold My Root Beer Prophet's snowstorm.
            Wow. Super dickish post funk.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
              Sorry — no way the blessing works unless the item goes under the white lacy tablecloth. I’m sure that’s an important part of how it works.
              White napkins. We used them a lot when I would take the sacrament to people in homes. Chick-fil-A napkins were the go to since I usually had some in my car glove box.
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
                When I lived in Folsom we had several people in our ward that couldn't eat gluten. They had one tray with gluten-free bread and it was the only chrome tray, all the rest were plastic, so it was obvious that it was different. The deacon with that tray would go around first to all those that they knew needed special bread, then finish off the rows on the side. When I first moved there I was trying to figure out why a certain deacon went several rows out of his way to serve the bread to his family before giving it to the rest of the congregation. It was probably months before I understood.

I think we eventually learned to not sit in the section that got served the weird gluten-free bread.
                we do that too except the tray is gold and goes to founders and people with fb pre ipo options. and the other tray isn’t a tray just a kick in the balls.
                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
                  Yeah, I told the bishop that this sounded to me like some mid-level leader’s personal opinion rather than doctrine or policy. But they got our stake leaders going on it. I’m not privy to the HQ communiques anymore, so I can’t validate that part of the story.
                  if you’re in the stake i think you’re in (c south?) that does not surprise me at all
                  Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• We used to use Rice Chex too and got the same direction from our Stake President - needed to use bread that could be broken for the symbolism of the ordinance. He said it came from the First Presidency.

We've taken the approach of using the same little cups we used to use with Rice Checks on 2-3 trays. The first week our Bishop brought gluten free. One of the guys in our ward had a reaction - because I guess he's got issues with milk and egg products too. So now he brings a piece of bread from home each week that the YM break and put into those cups. They do it when setting up the table because they don't want to mix crumbs from one kind of bread with the other. So it actually doesn't get broken with the rest.

There's a couple of wards in our stake who decided to just use gluten free for the whole ward. The Bishop of one of the wards just shrugged and said they put $300 in their budget into gluten free bread for the Sacrament. We went to a missionary farewell today, and they used it for everyone as well.

Comment

• I can't imagine God is keeping score on who takes the sacrament. If you have a problem with gluten, just pass the tray along. So what if your row thinks you have a worthiness problem.
                      "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• 90 percent of those claiming gluten sensitivity are just making it up anyway. They give those with real problems like celiac disease a bad name. I say give them real bread and tell them it is gluten free. They'll be fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                          90 percent of those claiming gluten sensitivity are just making it up anyway. They give those with real problems like celiac disease a bad name. I say give them real bread and tell them it is gluten free. They'll be fine.
                          As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                          --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                            90 percent of those claiming gluten sensitivity are just making it up anyway. They give those with real problems like celiac disease a bad name. I say give them real bread and tell them it is gluten free. They'll be fine.
                            Yes totally!

I’ll never forget how one of the Elders in our ward in Houston made a major deal about how all the meals provided for the missionaries had to be gluten free.

When they came over to our house for some scrambled eggs I quizzed him about his diagnosis of course.

He said something like “I never saw a doctor or had tests — I have noticed that my energy level and mood go way up when I avoid gluten.”

What a dummy!

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                              if you’re in the stake i think you’re in (c south?) that does not surprise me at all
                              Yep, right stake. Our new SP is actually a really good guy, but he is new so he is pretty letter-of-the-law right now. Hopefully he’ll mello a bit with time and experience.

But if Eddie’s stake has the same thing (and I think he is a Davis County guy) then it is probably being emphasized by the area or regional presidency (the mid-level leadership I was referring to in the OP).

We are ok with the symbology change from wine to water. Wine was a big deal to Jesus. His first miracle was changing water to wine miracle, he gave multiple parables of vineyards, Jesus said he is the vine, and he would not drink of the fruit of the vine afterwards the first supper. And we don’t drink out of the same cup, or use unleavened bread. It’s seems arbitrary where they draw the lines on these things.
                              Last edited by chrisrenrut; 02-11-2019, 05:12 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                                We used to use Rice Chex too and got the same direction from our Stake President - needed to use bread that could be broken for the symbolism of the ordinance. He said it came from the First Presidency.

We've taken the approach of using the same little cups we used to use with Rice Checks on 2-3 trays. The first week our Bishop brought gluten free. One of the guys in our ward had a reaction - because I guess he's got issues with milk and egg products too. So now he brings a piece of bread from home each week that the YM break and put into those cups. They do it when setting up the table because they don't want to mix crumbs from one kind of bread with the other. So it actually doesn't get broken with the rest.

There's a couple of wards in our stake who decided to just use gluten free for the whole ward. The Bishop of one of the wards just shrugged and said they put $300 in their budget into gluten free bread for the Sacrament. We went to a missionary farewell today, and they used it for everyone as well.
                                The thing that's nuts to me is people thinking their only access to the Atonement is by partaking both the bread and water. Aren't some people actually allergic to water? The ritual of the Sacrament is rich in symbolism, which helps us to think about the Atonement. But the preparation throughout the week is what is key. You can't just show up once a week like the Zoramites and never talk of God again until the next week.

Just take the water (unless you're allergic) and call it good.

Comment

Working...
                                X