No announcement yet.

I learned in church today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We got trek (not the Star Trek kind) reports in Stake Conference today. It was nice to hear teenagers read their thoughts about trek.
    Not that, sickos.

Comment

• The seasons are out of whack, there are more storms and calamities, and the earth is in turmoil because. . . Topic du jour- we are not keeping the sabbath day holy.

Comment

• Our ward's other failings aside, we have the best musical numbers. Today's was "Come, Thou Fount" on organ, oboe, and flute.

Comment

• Originally posted by LVAllen View Post
          Our ward's other failings aside, we have the best musical numbers. Today's was "Come, Thou Fount" on organ, oboe, and flute.
          Are you getting reorganized with the rest of the Valley today? We are having Sac. only, then a stake meeting to discuss the changes affecting 8 out of 10 units (South Stake). I've heard that Red Rock and other stakes are also being redrawn today.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
            Are you getting reorganized with the rest of the Valley today? We are having Sac. only, then a stake meeting to discuss the changes affecting 8 out of 10 units (South Stake). I've heard that Red Rock and other stakes are also being redrawn today.
            No action in the Redrock stake today. All three hours.
            I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
              No action in the Redrock stake today. All three hours.
              Huh. Did you lose a ward recently? I a friend of mine was in that stake until last week, when they redrew the line and now he's in the stake to the north, I think. I thought it might be a larger realignment.
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• I learned in church today

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                Huh. Did you lose a ward recently? I a friend of mine was in that stake until last week, when they redrew the line and now he's in the stake to the north, I think. I thought it might be a larger realignment.
                We reorganized ward boundaries about six months ago. No changes to stake boundaries then or now. Still nine wards. One Spanish, one single adult.
                Last edited by Dwight Schr-ute; 08-30-2015, 12:49 PM.
                I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

Nope. But I know the Elkhorn Springs Stake had some ward realignments (plus a new ward) today.

Comment

Hmmm. Red Rock is where I'm districted for.
                    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

different stake, I think. I think JR's his ward was divided out of the RR stake a few years back.

We had the boundary realignment meeting today in our stake. Apparently this is happening all over due to some recent number crunching done by the brethren (or for them, most likely), wherein it was revealed that the ideal ward size is between 300-400 members; wards either bigger or smaller than that apparently struggle with attendance/activity rates.

They also read off a list of statistics demonstrating this. All I could think about as they listed the stats were whether they controlled for meeting time, distance to meeting house, and a myriad of other factors which probably impact attendance as much or more than ward size.
                      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                        different stake, I think. I think JR's his ward was divided out of the RR stake a few years back.

We had the boundary realignment meeting today in our stake. Apparently this is happening all over due to some recent number crunching done by the brethren (or for them, most likely), wherein it was revealed that the ideal ward size is between 300-400 members; wards either bigger or smaller than that apparently struggle with attendance/activity rates.

They also read off a list of statistics demonstrating this. All I could think about as they listed the stats were whether they controlled for meeting time, distance to meeting house, and a myriad of other factors which probably impact attendance as much or more than ward size.
                        Major changes to your ward?

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• My new bishop spoke today and stated that he firmly believes that the earth is 4.6 billion years old, that life on earth is the result of millions of years of evolution, and that all church historical issues can be resolved if you ha e the right facts and understand the historical context. Seems like a good dude.
                          Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• I learned in church today

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                            Major changes to your ward?
                            2 new wards created and all other wards realigned/divided to create them. Lots of people got put into different but already-existing wards to help the boundaries make sense. Two buildings in the stake will have 4 wards in them and will be on a 8:30/10:30/12:30/2:30 schedule. Several wards will now have to travel 15-20 mins to their new chapel.

21 households cut out of our ward to form part of a new ward. Our bishopric was unaffected. And we meet in a different stake's building, so our meeting place was also unaffected. For now. Which is awesome, as the building is literally a block from my neighborhood.
                            Last edited by Donuthole; 08-30-2015, 01:56 PM.
                            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                              My new bishop spoke today and stated that he firmly believes that the earth is 4.6 billion years old, that life on earth is the result of millions of years of evolution, and that all church historical issues can be resolved if you ha e the right facts and understand the historical context. Seems like a good dude.
                              That's good. We have an awesome Bishop right now. Just a really normal dude, doesn't say weird stuff, 90% of what he says is true and the other 10% isn't totally insane. He's a big improvement on the last Bish.

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                                My new bishop spoke today and stated that he firmly believes that the earth is 4.6 billion years old, that life on earth is the result of millions of years of evolution, and that all church historical issues can be resolved if you ha e the right facts and understand the historical context. Seems like a good dude.
                                Pretty sad that someone has to get up and say something like that in 2015.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X