I learned in church today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ByronMarchant View Post
    Yeah, well money is almost certainly what motivates change more than anything else.

My view is this:

1. The apostles work in an echo chamber. This disincentivizes change.
    2. Money and church activity trends, which are linked to each other, call the most attention to real-world problems.
    3. Issues related to money and church activity motivate the Church to identify drivers of problems. This is done using focus groups.
    4. Once they identify problems using focus groups, they become motivated to enact real change in order to reverse negative trends.
    5. One caveat is that change is more feasible when the highest leader is not suffering from dementia.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
      Not even Clack would say something like that.
      I'm all for the church changes, and like the #makechurchgreatagain agenda as a concept, and I do believe that Trump is serving his country well. He's going to go down in history are the "Great Unifier" - the President who brought all Americans together in only one term so when "THE CONSTITUTION IS HANGING BY A THREAD" Mitt Romney will step out of the fog as a Senator and bitch slap Trump and sew that constitution back together with the flax seed of the left and right woven into a single strand of righteousness.

The times - they are a changing.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
      -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• MJ just called me and asked if I wanted to go to the temple today. I told her I had to work ( I’m literally at work and she knows I will be here until late given the time of year but ). She seems pretty excited for the new changes. I’m just going to remind her that she has to operate under the old covenant since that’s the covenant she made.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
          I’m just going to remind her that she has to operate under the old covenant since that’s the covenant she made.
          "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
            MJ just called me and asked if I wanted to go to the temple today. I told her I had to work ( I’m literally at work and she knows I will be here until late given the time of year but ). She seems pretty excited for the new changes. I’m just going to remind her that she has to operate under the old covenant since that’s the covenant she made.
            My wife and I had that same conversation just ten minutes ago... she's grandfathered in for having to obey me.... She told me that she's ignored me since 1986... not going back now.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
            -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Today I learned that teaching Junior Primary is much, much nicer with the two hour block. At no point was anything dragged out like before. The singing time was just enough for a few songs, there was one quick talk, then off to classes.

Our class was just enough time to teach our five year olds a few things, do one "wiggle reducing" activity, share a quick treat, then we were done. I like this a lot better.

Comment

• That was so much better.
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• I love 2 hour church.
                  "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                  -Turtle
                  sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
                    Today I learned that teaching Junior Primary is much, much nicer with the two hour block. At no point was anything dragged out like before. The singing time was just enough for a few songs, there was one quick talk, then off to classes.

Our class was just enough time to teach our five year olds a few things, do one "wiggle reducing" activity, share a quick treat, then we were done. I like this a lot better.
                    Primary is the biggest beneficiary of this change.
                    I'm like LeBron James.
                    -mpfunk

Comment

• The extra 10 minutes of lesson time for my 13 year old class is lame. 50 minutes sucks, but hey, can't complain overall.

Comment

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                        The extra 10 minutes of lesson time for my 13 year old class is lame. 50 minutes sucks, but hey, can't complain overall.
                        Agreed. Two hour church is perfect and the 50 minutes is a bit long but I'm also no longer afraid to let the kids out early since it's the last class for them for the day. I also brought cupcakes on fast sunday since I could just tell them to wait until they get home to eat them. My testimony of Pres Nelson grew a lot today.
                        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• I learned in church today

I learned that the fire alarm work. It went off with 15 minutes left of church. About 3/4 of the people had cleared out of the building before the alarm stopped. People then started to go back inside and I was like, seriously?! (Apparently the alarm went off last Sunday, as well.)

I was released from my Cub Scout calling and informed that my primary assignment was changing from the 9 year olds to the 5 year olds. But that I would be 1 of 3 teachers assigned to the class. This year might just be awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• We had a new stake presidency called today at conference. They were interviewed yesterday, and called yesterday, odd when the calling is for such an intrusive position and for 10 years. The wife of the new SP was called to speak for a few minutes. She said that her parents were over to dinner on Friday night, and she mentioned that a new stake presidency was to be announced at conference today. Her mom remarked, "Oh, some poor woman will be crying her eyes out Saturday night."

Comment

• Our Sunday School teacher works at some antique bookstore. She brought in a 400 year old Bible to show off to kick things off. It was pretty cool.

Comment

• One hour nursery is great.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X