Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The LDS Church... the McDonald's of churches

BYU Delenda Est Mormon Red Death's Avatar
    the Planet Lovetron, bringing funkiness to all over the world

Default The LDS Church... the McDonald's of churches

My family all got together at the Garden Park ward for family photos and all I could think of is how big of shame that our churches are now all the same where ever you go. Even our temples (the mini temples) are turning cookie cutter.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

One thing I've heard is that church buildings are going green.

They have plans to put solar panels on new churches in certain areas.

Does anyone know how much the Church saves by taking this approach?

BYU Delenda Est Mormon Red Death's Avatar
    the Planet Lovetron, bringing funkiness to all over the world

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
    no doubt they save a millions but should it always come down to saving money? there are some really cool buildings in salt lake... ones with stain glass and such.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
    I just heard about the panels from an architecture student who works for a firm that does church buildings. I think most of the new church buildings will meet some energy efficiency standard. Robin might be familiar with the standards.

From another source, I understand that new fabrication techniques have reduce the price of solar panels to about 1/3 of standard prices. I also understand that they are so popular right now that the company that produces them can only fulfill bulk orders. I don't know if the church has access to these new cheaper panels.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    no doubt they save a millions but should it always come down to saving money? there are some really cool buildings in salt lake... ones with stain glass and such.
    I actually agree with you. I'm just wondering if the financial benefit is worth the standardized boring-ness

Joycelyn Elders Supporter SoonerCoug's Avatar

If the Church wants to go green, then they need to implement one and a half hour church.

One of the best things about being in Utah is seeing all of the cool old church buildings. Post like 60's meeting houses are for the most part pretty bland. I love finding older meeting houses in out of the way places. There is one in AF that has all sorts of stained glass and gables and nice brick work that a private citizen has bought and turned into a living workspace. The man makes organs there. I think it's really neat.

Quote Originally Posted by I.J. Reilly View Post
    One of the best things about being in Utah is seeing all of the cool old church buildings. Post like 60's meeting houses are for the most part pretty bland. I love finding older meeting houses in out of the way places. There is one in AF that has all sorts of stained glass and gables and nice brick work that a private citizen has bought and turned into a living workspace. The man makes organs there. I think it's really neat.
    I need a new gallbladder. Can you inquire about his rates for me?
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Joycelyn Elders Supporter SoonerCoug's Avatar

I'm more of a fan of the 1970s-style toaster chapels and the pizza hut churches.

CS Institutional Memory Jarid in Cedar's Avatar

I have been inside of that building in AF, and even though it is now a workshop, it is beautiful inside. Mike Bigelow is the owner. He is in my wife's childhood ward. He builds the organs from the ground up. Typically it takes him about 8 months to build one . He works mostly in large-space/high end jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    I need a new gallbladder. Can you inquire about his rates for me?
    I already told you how to take care of that! Pay attention!

Faith crisis consultant SeattleUte's Avatar

I honestly believe this. The meeting houses are a glimpse into a religion's soul. Religion for most of human history has been the source of all our great art, whether visual art, architecture, literature, music or even drama. Even today, religion is our artists' primary muse. Cormac McCarthy is an intensely religious author. The artists who endure seem to at least in an abstract and oblique way address religious themes. Personally, I think the LDS Church failed me aesthetically more than anything. The opera houses and museums are my temples. Mormon buildings are an abomination, an affront to God, as is anything written that the LDS Church generates these days.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I honestly believe this. The meeting houses are a glimpse into a religion's soul. Religion for most of human history has been the source of all our great art, whether visual art, architecture, literature, music or even drama. Even today, religion is our artists' primary muse. Cormac McCarthy is an intensely religious author. The artists who endure seem to at least in an abstract and oblique way address religious themes. Personally, I think the LDS Church failed me aesthetically more than anything. The opera houses and museums are my temples. Mormon buildings are an abomination, an affront to God, as is anything written that the LDS Church generates these days.
    Imagine that, SU doesn't like something about the Church. I think the same effect could be had by just signing your name. We'd all know what you meant.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

I wish I had caught onto your humor earlier. It is really pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by byu71 View Post
    Simpleton translation: LDS church's are so ugly even God thinks their ugly, and he doesn't like their books either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Simpleton translation: LDS church's are so ugly even God thinks their ugly, and he doesn't like their books either.
    Can I also infer Mark E. Peterson was head of the building committee.

Imagine that, SU doesn't like something about the Church. I think the same effect could be had by just signing your name. We'd all know what you meant.
    SU is nothing if not predictable.

Can I also infer Mark E. Peterson was head of the building committee.
    If you ever sense a negative tone, then yes, assume Peterson is involved somehow.

I know that you, a Borges devotee, agree with me at least on this.

Just look at my avatar.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    My family all got together at the Garden Park ward for family photos and all I could think of is how big of shame that our churches are now all the same where ever you go. Even our temples (the mini temples) are turning cookie cutter.
    Our first place after marriage was in that ward. Beautiful building and grounds.
    the back of the fan is just as I remember it.
    it had a really cool nursery.
    I intend to live forever.
    So far, so good.
    --Steven Wright

I know that you, a Borges devotee, agree with me at least on this.

Just look at my avatar.
    I can't, I've put post-its on that side of my screen on the off chance that that filthy avatar comes up. That penis is pointing right at me!

Unless I include an insult in my post, I'm usually kidding, moron.

You are way behind the curve.

What do you think I have been meaning all this time when I would tell SeattleUte that I loved his style?

His knack for pseudo Anti-mormonism is a machination and a gift at the same time.

As we saw recently, it is very difficult to create a SeattleUte forgery. And it is impossible to create one that would pass any serious level of scrutiny.

I don't think there is anyone here that can turn any post....any thread....into a philosophical discussion about the failings of Mormonism. Threads about cemeteries, education, politics, art, movies, books, old people...even the NBA....I have seen SeattleUte turn all of these things into attacks on Mormonism. It is really staggering, if you think about it. That is not easy to do.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

I thought I would find a few images of the ward building I used to attend in Washington. For sure that building was what made me appreciate what the asthetic of a church building could bring to worship. Here are a few from the Tacoma Public Library Photo Archive:

This one ended up being the Relief Society room

The foyer. The curtains on the left open up on a window to the chapel

The chapel. After a renovation the wall on the left could be lowered to accomodate an overflow crowd. I remember some crazy things being said from that pulpit

The cultural hall. Obviously, basketball hoops were later attached to the ceiling

An outside shot. I don't recognize what they have done on the right side of the building. At one point someone in the planning division of the church really wanted to tear the building down but someone higher up than that canceled that plan.

Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    You are way behind the curve.

What do you think I have been meaning all this time when I would tell SeattleUte that I loved his style?

His knack for pseudo Anti-mormonism is a machination and a gift at the same time.

As we saw recently, it is very difficult to create a SeattleUte forgery. And it is impossible to create one that would pass any serious level of scrutiny.

I don't think there is anyone here that can turn any post....any thread....into a philosophical discussion about the failings of Mormonism. Threads about cemeteries, education, politics, art, movies, books, old people...even the NBA....I have seen SeattleUte turn all of these things into attacks on Mormonism. It is really staggering, if you think about it. That is not easy to do.

It really isn't that hard if you just let your "inner child" run wild.

I thought I would find a few images of the ward building I used to attend in Washington. For sure that building was what made me appreciate what the asthetic of a church building could bring to worship. Here are a few from the Tacoma Public Library Photo Archive:

This one ended up being the Relief Society room

The foyer. The curtains on the left open up on a window to the chapel

The chapel. After a renovation the wall on the left could be lowered to accomodate an overflow crowd. I remember some crazy things being said from that pulpit

The cultural hall. Obviously, basketball hoops were later attached to the ceiling

An outside shot. I don't recognize what they have done on the right side of the building. At one point someone in the planning division of the church really wanted to tear the building down but someone higher up than that canceled that plan.
    That's a beautiful building.

That penis is pointing right at me!
    Maybe it's my failing eyesight, but I can't really see the organ that so many find so impressive. SU, it's time for a close-up crop. I mean a blow-up. No, I mean . . . .
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    It's not hard to do when the subject at hand is Mormon meeting houses.

--Jonathan Swift

It's not hard to do when the subject at hand is Mormon meeting houses.
    Weak, you must be tired. A simpleton could have come up with that line.

I thought I would find a few images of the ward building I used to attend in Washington. For sure that building was what made me appreciate what the asthetic of a church building could bring to worship.
    That looks an awful lot like the Bonneville Stake Center just above 15th East and about 1100 South. (Ironically, that might have been a standard plan the church architects were following in those days.) I especially recognize the gym. I played a lot of hoop in a gym that looks just like that one.
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery