Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 50

Thread: cleaning the church

  1. #1
    Senior Member Tick's wife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Bakersfield
    Posts
    528

    Default cleaning the church

    Once upon a time, the church used to have custodians to clean churches. I was under the impression that my tithing paid for the upkeep of church bldgs and so forth. Fast forward to when members are asked to help clean the church. I'm on the fence about this, when am I not on the fence, I know. Anyway, a paid custodian would or should do a better job than families and it helps with the economy by giving pple jobs. I think we should do it. However, here is the rebuttal....first off, budget...Mormon's are cheap....secondly....'oh, but think of the blessings your family will get from cleaning the house of the Lord'.....whatever....relying on the families to clean the church doesn't always work because someone doesn't follow through....like me. I don't because when I do, I get frustrated by the pple that were suppose to clean before us, didn't. Especially, when the diaper pail is not cleaned out after a month.
    Hire someone, it will give them hope.

    What do you do in your neck of the woods?

  2. #2
    Major disappointment The_Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,909

    Default

    In my neck of the woods...me and my two kids clean the church while my wife sleeps in.

    Usually twice a year.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Tick's wife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Bakersfield
    Posts
    528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
    In my neck of the woods...me and my two kids clean the church while my wife sleeps in.

    Usually twice a year.
    Sleep in? Whatever, you all wake me up when you leave with all the banging of doors and talking. lol

  4. #4
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    30,721

    Default

    I would prefer not cleaning the church, but I don't have a problem with the current policy. I'm sure there are better ways to spend those funds, and I'm assuming the Church is using them for something better. If they aren't, don't tell me.

  5. #5
    Senior Member The Fourth Nephite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sanpete County
    Posts
    778

    Default

    I don't mind cleaning the church a couple times a year. However, if it was up to me, I'd have everyone getting church welfare clean it. Isn't that how it's supposed to work, anyways?

    I'd also have them wear a big scarlett "W" on their clothes.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tick's wife View Post
    Once upon a time, the church used to have custodians to clean churches. I was under the impression that my tithing paid for the upkeep of church bldgs and so forth. Fast forward to when members are asked to help clean the church. I'm on the fence about this, when am I not on the fence, I know. Anyway, a paid custodian would or should do a better job than families and it helps with the economy by giving pple jobs. I think we should do it. However, here is the rebuttal....first off, budget...Mormon's are cheap....secondly....'oh, but think of the blessings your family will get from cleaning the house of the Lord'.....whatever....relying on the families to clean the church doesn't always work because someone doesn't follow through....like me. I don't because when I do, I get frustrated by the pple that were suppose to clean before us, didn't. Especially, when the diaper pail is not cleaned out after a month.
    Hire someone, it will give them hope.

    What do you do in your neck of the woods?
    My calling is currently to make sure that the building gets cleaned. I'd much rather have someone else cleaning

  7. #7
    Major disappointment The_Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,909

    Default

    When I was a kid we were always on church assistance. When we were getting stuff from the church we had to work on the church farm. My parents taught us that that was a good thing.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
    When I was a kid we were always on church assistance. When we were getting stuff from the church we had to work on the church farm. My parents taught us that that was a good thing.
    We were on Church assistance once when I was a kid. I used to love the crates of apple sauce we would receive. I was actually a little sad when my dad found work and the apple sauce supply was cut off.

  9. #9

    Default

    I heard third hand from our sp that the cleaning we do saves enough money for a new smaller temple. FUnds better used. I think that was DAve the pb's idea behind it.

  10. #10
    Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Eug
    Posts
    26,037

    Default

    I actually like cleaning the church. In our ward they get 2 families to sign up each week, I usually try to sign up for a week when I know the other family will flake out. I enjoy being there by myself, or with ldc, for a couple of hours with nothing but the sound of the vacuum. In fact I would much rather do that than go to sacrament meeting most weeks.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

  11. #11
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    58,326

    Default

    I home teach the guy that is the building cleanup coordinator. Since we are the only ward in our building, we do it every week of the year.

    This guy is active, but not entirely. He and his wife have expressed a disinterest in receiving HT visits (although he is faithful in cleaning the building...go figure). So basically, in lieu of traditional home teaching, for the past year or so, I go almost every Saturday morning for 40 minutes and help clean the building. Without fail, loser members of the ward flake out, so it is usually me, the coordinator, and one or so people that keep their commitment and show up.

    I get to hang out with him once a week and we talk. I always ask if I will see him the next day in Church. He always laughs and says, "probably." Sometimes he shows up on Sunday, sometimes no. But he is always there on Saturday.

    I live a few blocks away and I am up early anyway, so I don't mind. And it has really helped me get to know this guy (and his wife...she sometimes comes to help out, as well).

    If I am ever assigned a new HT family, I will probably keep going to building cleanup because I am shocked at how many people agree to show up and then flake out. Pisses me off.

    Also, I get annoyed on Sundays when I see lazy parents not clean up after their messy kids. They leave cheerios all over the floor, used tissues, gum wrappers, crushed crackers, Sacrament programs, etc. Spend a Saturday or two cleaning up the building and I promise you will be a more careful steward on Sundays.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    Also, I get annoyed on Sundays when I see lazy parents not clean up after their messy kids. They leave cheerios all over the floor, used tissues, gum wrappers, crushed crackers, Sacrament programs, etc. Spend a Saturday or two cleaning up the building and I promise you will be a more careful steward on Sundays.
    Amen.

  13. #13
    aka... UtahDan's Wifey
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Undisclosed Location
    Posts
    2,178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    Also, I get annoyed on Sundays when I see lazy parents not clean up after their messy kids. They leave cheerios all over the floor, used tissues, gum wrappers, crushed crackers, Sacrament programs, etc. Spend a Saturday or two cleaning up the building and I promise you will be a more careful steward on Sundays.
    Not to mention, mothers who leave poopy diapers in the Mothers' Lounge, only to ripen during the week until the church is cleaned on Saturday...

  14. #14
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    22,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tick's wife View Post
    Once upon a time, the church used to have custodians to clean churches. I was under the impression that my tithing paid for the upkeep of church bldgs and so forth. Fast forward to when members are asked to help clean the church. I'm on the fence about this, when am I not on the fence, I know. Anyway, a paid custodian would or should do a better job than families and it helps with the economy by giving pple jobs. I think we should do it. However, here is the rebuttal....first off, budget...Mormon's are cheap....secondly....'oh, but think of the blessings your family will get from cleaning the house of the Lord'.....whatever....relying on the families to clean the church doesn't always work because someone doesn't follow through....like me. I don't because when I do, I get frustrated by the pple that were suppose to clean before us, didn't. Especially, when the diaper pail is not cleaned out after a month.
    Hire someone, it will give them hope.

    What do you do in your neck of the woods?
    We clean the church but only get assigned to do it 4 or 5 times out of the year. Our building is used by three wards so every 3rd month our ward has to clean it. Then it gets split up and assigned (no volunterring) by families. I know the person in charge makes sure to split it up so those who are more likely to show up are evenly distributed.

    I'll admit that having to clean the church makes me think twice about keeping it clean in the first place.

  15. #15
    Ragnar Lodbrok Descendant SoCalCoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, California
    Posts
    5,229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    I home teach the guy that is the building cleanup coordinator. Since we are the only ward in our building, we do it every week of the year.

    This guy is active, but not entirely. He and his wife have expressed a disinterest in receiving HT visits (although he is faithful in cleaning the building...go figure). So basically, in lieu of traditional home teaching, for the past year or so, I go almost every Saturday morning for 40 minutes and help clean the building. Without fail, loser members of the ward flake out, so it is usually me, the coordinator, and one or so people that keep their commitment and show up.

    I get to hang out with him once a week and we talk. I always ask if I will see him the next day in Church. He always laughs and says, "probably." Sometimes he shows up on Sunday, sometimes no. But he is always there on Saturday.

    I live a few blocks away and I am up early anyway, so I don't mind. And it has really helped me get to know this guy (and his wife...she sometimes comes to help out, as well).

    If I am ever assigned a new HT family, I will probably keep going to building cleanup because I am shocked at how many people agree to show up and then flake out. Pisses me off.

    Also, I get annoyed on Sundays when I see lazy parents not clean up after their messy kids. They leave cheerios all over the floor, used tissues, gum wrappers, crushed crackers, Sacrament programs, etc. Spend a Saturday or two cleaning up the building and I promise you will be a more careful steward on Sundays.
    I know I'll probably regret saying this, but you're a better man than I am.
    If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

    "Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

    "Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGabers View Post
    Not to mention, mothers who leave poopy diapers in the Mothers' Lounge, only to ripen during the week until the church is cleaned on Saturday...
    There is not trash in our lounge. Only some plastic bags and a sign that says, "please put the diaper in a bag and deposit it in the hall trash which gets taken out each week."
    What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.

    -Teenage Dirtbag

  17. #17
    Striving for mediocrity Art Vandelay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    9,452

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
    There is not trash in our lounge. Only some plastic bags and a sign that says, "please put the diaper in a bag and deposit it in the hall trash which gets taken out each week."
    We assign the Aaronic Priesthood to take out all the trash of every Sunday.

  18. #18
    Liberal Feminazi Pheidippides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    14,762

    Default

    We're the first ward to use the building on Sunday. There are four units in our building.

    We have our first meeting - just five of us - at 6:00 a.m. The first 15 minutes or so (at least) for the past few months have been spent cleaning up the building because the people assigned to do it have flaked or done a poor job.

  19. #19
    Senior Member dabrockster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    9,254

    Default

    I held this calling in our Ward for two years..

    I had to always ensure we had a reliable family with a flaky family. I would always take the Holiday weekends on my myself with their family..

  20. #20
    aka... UtahDan's Wifey
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Undisclosed Location
    Posts
    2,178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
    There is not trash in our lounge. Only some plastic bags and a sign that says, "please put the diaper in a bag and deposit it in the hall trash which gets taken out each week."
    Perhaps getting rid of that trash can in the lounge would be a first step... But then it would be moving the problem to a different location...

  21. #21
    Board Bookworm happyone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Davis County
    Posts
    4,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGabers View Post
    Not to mention, mothers who leave poopy diapers in the Mothers' Lounge, only to ripen during the week until the church is cleaned on Saturday...
    This is one of the reasons we have families assigned twice a week to clean the church, Mondays and Saturdays.

    Mondays are normally a "light" cleaning. You make sure the trash is taken out, the restrooms checked, chapel gone through, that sort of stuff. The major cleaning takes place on Saturdays.

    When "What about FHE" was brought up the stake presidency came out and said the Monday assignment is a good Family Home Evening activity.

    We have three wards in the building and normally we get assigned about twice a year.
    Last edited by happyone; 10-27-2009 at 01:18 PM.

    I may be small, but I'm slow.

    A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

  22. #22
    Senior Member Katy Lied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Center of the Salt Lake Valley
    Posts
    9,024

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    I home teach the guy that is the building cleanup coordinator. Since we are the only ward in our building, we do it every week of the year.

    This guy is active, but not entirely. He and his wife have expressed a disinterest in receiving HT visits (although he is faithful in cleaning the building...go figure). So basically, in lieu of traditional home teaching, for the past year or so, I go almost every Saturday morning for 40 minutes and help clean the building. Without fail, loser members of the ward flake out, so it is usually me, the coordinator, and one or so people that keep their commitment and show up.

    I get to hang out with him once a week and we talk. I always ask if I will see him the next day in Church. He always laughs and says, "probably." Sometimes he shows up on Sunday, sometimes no. But he is always there on Saturday.

    I live a few blocks away and I am up early anyway, so I don't mind. And it has really helped me get to know this guy (and his wife...she sometimes comes to help out, as well).
    I think I have a little tear in my eye. Really.

    It discourages me when I know the Bishop spends hours signing checks, only to see him and his two 5-year old kids cleaning the chapel because none of the check recipients showed up.

    My parents got church assistance when they were newlyweds. My father worked it off by cleaning the chapel every Saturday morning for a year. 52 weeks.

  23. #23
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    22,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    It discourages me when I know the Bishop spends hours signing checks, only to see him and his two 5-year old kids cleaning the chapel because none of the check recipients showed up.
    Hours? Man that guys needs to learn to forget about penmanship.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  24. #24
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    58,326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    I think I have a little tear in my eye. Really.
    KatyLied, I believe you. Don't worry, it may be a corneal scratch, not a tear.

    We should ask ArtVandelay for some advice on this.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  25. #25
    Senior Member Katy Lied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Center of the Salt Lake Valley
    Posts
    9,024

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    Hours?
    Lol.
    Okay, 10 minutes to get the phone call, then 10 minutes to drive to the wardhouse to get the check, and 10 minutes to sign, then 15 minutes to call around for a countersign on a Thursday night at 10:45pm because someone absolutely has to have it by midnight but forgot to let the Bishop know about it until Thursday night at 10pm, then 15 minutes to drive the check to the countersign's house and get his signature, then 15 more minutes to drive the check to the recipient.

  26. #26
    a.k.a. K-dog KillerDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    4,201

    Default

    A family in my ward just approached a member of the bishopric and asked if the could do the entire building clean up for a few months. They need assistance because the father's hours at work got cut back. Rather than ask for the food order then be asked to clean the church they offered to clean the church so they could get food orders. I hear they recently received a decent size envelope of cash in their mailbox. There is something to be said for Mormons whether you like the religion or not.

  27. #27
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    22,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    Lol.
    Okay, 10 minutes to get the phone call, then 10 minutes to drive to the wardhouse to get the check, and 10 minutes to sign, then 15 minutes to call around for a countersign on a Thursday night at 10:45pm because someone absolutely has to have it by midnight but forgot to let the Bishop know about it until Thursday night at 10pm, then 15 minutes to drive the check to the countersign's house and get his signature, then 15 more minutes to drive the check to the recipient.
    Your bishop needs to call a financial clerk. I've done this routine many, many times and while it is annoying, I'm happy to do it just so the bishop doesn't have to since he has plenty more on his plate.

  28. #28
    Receiver of Memory LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    19,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    Lol.
    Okay, 10 minutes to get the phone call, then 10 minutes to drive to the wardhouse to get the check, and 10 minutes to sign, then 15 minutes to call around for a countersign on a Thursday night at 10:45pm because someone absolutely has to have it by midnight but forgot to let the Bishop know about it until Thursday night at 10pm, then 15 minutes to drive the check to the countersign's house and get his signature, then 15 more minutes to drive the check to the recipient.
    My bishop would try handle that this way:

    1. Call the intended recipient of the check (the person owed the money), say he's the bishop and the church is covering the expense, and he'll get a check cut and mailed tomorrow. The person would accept this arrangement 90% of the time.

    2. Call his financial clerk (or a counselor) and ask him to get a check ready and signed by tomorrow evening. The bishop will drop by at [insert time] to sign if he's needed.

    The whole deal still involves a lot of running around because somebody waited until the last minute, but it is another way to skin that cat.

    I remember one time when a single mom in our ward (with small children) waited until the last hours of her tenancy to tell us she was being evicted. There was no appeasing the landlord, so we had to organize a big group of people to move her out, using a large panel truck one of the members owned. We put her belongings on the stage and put her up in a motel for a couple of night until she got things sorted out. It was a mess, but we kind of treated it like a big party. And all of it could have been completely avoided if that sister had come to someone sooner. People are amazing.
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden


    "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

  29. #29
    Life Glitcher scandell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    235

    Default

    I have to agree with you Tick's Wife. I hate cleaning the church...and I think the church has plenty of money to spend on hiring the unemployed to clean it for me. Here in southern California...we are constantly being asked to contribute greater fast offerings....I would really like to donate my fast offerings to someone who would clean the church up nice. I win. They win. Since when does the church believe in hand outs anyway? I thought the Bishop's were supposed to encourage service to those that recieve fast offerings.

  30. #30
    Senior Member Tick's wife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Bakersfield
    Posts
    528

    Default

    that's why I don't do it anymore. I'll still get blessings even if I don't clean the church.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •