Milk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milk

Not the film, the beverage. I've basically been avoiding white milk since I was about 16 years old. I've always loved (and regularly drank) chocolate milk, but I haven't really enjoyed drinking white milk. And I'm not a huge breakfast eater, so I've never really been into cereal. Plus my parents powerblasted the whole "milk at dinner" thing while I was growing up, so as an adult I've generally avoided it.

Recently, though, within the past year, I've been drinking a lot more milk. Why? Maple View Farm. It's a dairy in Hillsborough, North Carolina (west of Chapel Hill), and they make and distribute premium fresh milk. It comes in glass bottles and is available at higher-end grocery stores in the area. Their chocolate milk tastes like a milkshake, and their whole white milk is amazing, especially when cold. There's something amazing about milk that comes in glass bottles. I love the stuff.

Just now I was eating a bowl of Honey Bunches of Oats with whole milk. It's one of the best everyday desserts I know of.

Do any of you have access to fresh, local, premium milk? If so, you should give it a shot.
    Visca Catalunya Lliure

Mmmmmm Milk. We drink the whole stuff, but it has been a long while since we have purchased the extra-premium stuff (tastes SOOO goood).

I don't understand why people drink the 2% and skim. I mean something better taste pretty damn good before a person is willing to drink the glandular excretion from an animal's hairy teet. Good whole milk, full of fat, meets the standard, but who in their right mind would suck a hairy teet for skim?
    Last edited by RobinFinderson; 02-16-2009, 06:06 PM.

Comment

I am lactose intolerant.
      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
      -Turtle
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
        I am lactose intolerant.
        Me too.

When I first started drinking soy milk, it was a struggle. Occasionally I would sneak a drink of regular milk and it tasted wonderful. But I have grown to like soy milk. I had a drink of regular milk the other day and thought it was just so-so.

I refer to whole milk as "white death".
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          Me too.

When I first started drinking soy milk, it was a struggle. Occasionally I would sneak a drink of regular milk and it tasted wonderful. But I have grown to like soy milk. I had a drink of regular milk the other day and thought it was just so-so.

I love soy milk as well. What brand do you buy?
          Visca Catalunya Lliure

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Me too.

I prefer rice to soy. I have been using rice milk on my cereal because cow's milk bothers my baby. I don't think I will go back to the cow when I am done nursing. I like the malty, vanilla flavor it adds to my cereal. Though I don't think I could drink it plain.
            Last edited by marsupial; 02-16-2009, 06:58 PM.
            What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
            -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
              I drink soy as well. I liked the archer farms brand soy milk from Target. But usually I get the Light Silk. Sometimes I'll get the vanilla, but usually I prefer plain. I am not really loyal to any brand though so typically it's what is on sale. I only use it in cold cereal so it's not that important to me.
              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
              -Turtle
              sigpic

Comment

Not the film, the beverage. I've basically been avoiding white milk since I was about 16 years old. I've always loved (and regularly drank) chocolate milk, but I haven't really enjoyed drinking white milk. And I'm not a huge breakfast eater, so I've never really been into cereal. Plus my parents powerblasted the whole "milk at dinner" thing while I was growing up, so as an adult I've generally avoided it.

Recently, though, within the past year, I've been drinking a lot more milk. Why? Maple View Farm. It's a dairy in Hillsborough, North Carolina (west of Chapel Hill), and they make and distribute premium fresh milk. It comes in glass bottles and is available at higher-end grocery stores in the area. Their chocolate milk tastes like a milkshake, and their whole white milk is amazing, especially when cold. There's something amazing about milk that comes in glass bottles. I love the stuff.

Just now I was eating a bowl of Honey Bunches of Oats with whole milk. It's one of the best everyday desserts I know of.

Do any of you have access to fresh, local, premium milk? If so, you should give it a shot.
                Generally, I think milk is food for baby cows. But we have a local dairy here with milk that is cheaper than the supermarket prices. And the milk tastes unbelievably good. I still won't just drink a glass, but I love it all the same.

The place is trapped in the 1970s. You can buy a banana split big enough for three for about $2.75, and in the summer there are a couple of Amish kids that sell strawberries by the doorway. One of the perks of country living, I guess.
                "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
                -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

My family consists of me, my wife, my nine year old daughter, 7 year old son and 7 month old baby. I bought 9 gallons of milk last Tuesday. We have one gallon left as of tonight.

Milk is good.
                  Last edited by smokymountainrain; 02-16-2009, 07:57 PM.
                  I'm like LeBron James.
                  -mpfunk

Comment

Kirkland (Costco) vanilla soy.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                      I drink soy as well. I liked the archer farms brand soy milk from Target. But usually I get the Light Silk. Sometimes I'll get the vanilla, but usually I prefer plain. I am not really loyal to any brand though so typically it's what is on sale. I only use it in cold cereal so it's not that important to me.
                      The best thing about being the only one in the family with lactose intolerance is that I never get a glass when I want a quick drink. I always guzzle straight from the carton.

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                        My family consists of me, my wife, my nine year old daughter, 7 year old son and 7 month old baby. I bought 9 gallons of milk last Tuesday. We have one gallon left as of tonight.

Milk is good.
                        That's two gallons per person in one week. Do you buy 9 gallons in one grocery store trip? And if so, where the heck do you store it?
                        What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
                        -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Originally posted by marsupial View Post
                          That's two gallons per person in one week. Do you buy 9 gallons in one grocery store trip? And if so, where the heck do you store it?
                          When my son left for college our weekly milk consumption went from 7 gallons for five people to 3.5 gallons for 4 people. We drink skim milk; all the nutirtion, hormones and fortifications, virtually none of the fat. I am not sure what animal Robin is getting his milk from, but the cows I have milked don't have particularly hairy teats.
                          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                            When my son left for college our weekly milk consumption went from 7 gallons for five people to 3.5 gallons for 4 people. We drink skim milk; all the nutirtion, hormones and fortifications, virtually none of the fat. I am not sure what animal Robin is getting his milk from, but the cows I have milked don't have particularly hairy teats.
                            They have just enough hairs on those teets to be extra gross... like the two hairs springing form a mole. Of course some cows get very self-conscious about this and so they wax.

Comment

Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                              They have just enough hairs on those teets to be extra gross... like the two hairs springing form a mole. Of course some cows get very self-conscious about this and so they wax.

Comment

Working...
                              X