Sprinkler problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sprinkler problem

I replaced a valve in my sprinkler system that was leaking.

I don't know what happened but after I got it installed, it's backwards. It's on if it's in the off position. And off if it's in the on position. If I turn it on automatically with the box, same thing. If I turn them to the off position manually so that water is coming on, if I manually turn them on with the box, the water suddenly comes off for the time period I turn them on. Then water goes back on.

Is this a faulty valve, and I need to go get another one, or can I fix this?

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
    I replaced a valve in my sprinkler system that was leaking.

I don't know what happened but after I got it installed, it's backwards. It's on if it's in the off position. And off if it's in the on position. If I turn it on automatically with the box, same thing. If I turn them to the off position manually so that water is coming on, if I manually turn them on with the box, the water suddenly comes off for the time period I turn them on. Then water goes back on.

Is this a faulty valve, and I need to go get another one, or can I fix this?
    Who the f*** designed sprinkler valves to have to go in a certain direction? Stupid engineers. And does anyone really pay attention to those little arrow signs?

Comment

Wise words from my 8th grade math teacher, Mrs. Ransom:

"When all else fails, read the directions"
      I intend to live forever.
      So far, so good.
      --Steven Wright

Comment

Took the day off work to replace the stop & waste valve that supplies the sprinkler system off the main water line. It was a job digging down five feet by hand, but I got it all hooked up. Problem is, there's the slightest of leaks from where the PVC fitting threads into the brass valve. I'm thinking it's like a drop every 20 seconds or so. I used teflon tape, and torqued it with channel locks. I didn't dare torque it down further for fear of breaking the fitting off in the valve. But I guess I needed to torque it even more.

What would you do? Leave it and hope that the hard water eventually seals on its own? Use plumber's putty? I think I'll start by cutting the line and torquing the fitting in a bit more, and then patching with a coupler. Perhaps I should go get some pipe dope to help seal the threads.

valve.jpg
        Last edited by Bo Diddley; 09-26-2019, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
          Took the day off work to replace the stop & waste valve that supplies the sprinkler system off the main water line. It was a job digging down five feet by hand, but I got it all hooked up. Problem is, there's the slightest of leaks from where the PVC fitting threads into the brass valve. I'm thinking it's like a drop every 20 seconds or so. I used teflon tape, and torqued it with channel locks. I didn't dare torque it down further for fear of breaking the fitting off in the valve. But I guess I needed to torque it even more.

What would you do? Leave it and hope that the hard water eventually seals on its own? Use plumber's putty? I think I'll start by cutting the line and torquing the fitting in a bit more, and then patching with a coupler. Perhaps I should go get some pipe dope to help seal the threads.

[ATTACH]9773[/ATTACH]
          Sell the house and move into a condo.
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
            Sell the house and move into a condo.
            Ha! We actually considered moving this year, but couldn't bring ourselves to move away from our neighborhood. So we put a little more money into our house and updated the kitchen, among other things.

I like physical labor like this. I'm not dead yet!

Comment

[ATTACH]9773[/ATTACH]
              Just get some quick mix and encase the entire thing in concrete... it worked for Chernobyl.
              Last edited by Uncle Ted; 09-27-2019, 11:11 AM.
              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I wouldn't leave it and hope it seals on its own. Past that, I don't know. Did you use enough tape?
                "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

I wouldn't leave it, either. Fix it before you cover it up.

Are you sure it is leaking through the threads? Is it possible the PVC fitting is cracked? I also see drops of water all over the place in the photo. Sometimes you can have a leak from the valve body or through a crack in the fitting body or thread and it looks like its coming through the threads because the leaking moisture wicks to that spot where it can easily collect. I'm sure you have figured this out already, but just a thought.

If it is leaking through the thread that suggests to me a couple of possibilities. First, the fitting is cracked or it was cross threaded at some point. Either way, it needs to be replaced. That's a pretty easy fix, really. (it is possible that the threads in the brass fitting are the ones that were damaged by cross-threading; if so, then you will obviously need to replace the valve.)

The other alternative is if the fitting is the wrong diameter or has the wrong number of threads per inch. In theory if it is the right OD it will have the correct number of TPI, but I have seen exceptions. Again, if this is the case, it needs to be replaced.

It is possible that you simply didn't tighten it enough, but in general plumbing fittings are designed to work properly without the need for brute force. So if that is what it takes, then something likely isn't properly fitting, so to speak.

Thats all I got. Good luck. I hate plumbing and decided a few years ago that I would only do waste side and never supply side, particularly if it is going to be covered up by a wall or a floor or the ground. So, if it was really my sprinkler system I would hire someone to fix it and turn my attention to a football game or similar.
                  PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                    I wouldn't leave it, either. Fix it before you cover it up.

Are you sure it is leaking through the threads? Is it possible the PVC fitting is cracked? I also see drops of water all over the place in the photo. Sometimes you can have a leak from the valve body or through a crack in the fitting body or thread and it looks like its coming through the threads because the leaking moisture wicks to that spot where it can easily collect. I'm sure you have figured this out already, but just a thought.

If it is leaking through the thread that suggests to me a couple of possibilities. First, the fitting is cracked or it was cross threaded at some point. Either way, it needs to be replaced. That's a pretty easy fix, really. (it is possible that the threads in the brass fitting are the ones that were damaged by cross-threading; if so, then you will obviously need to replace the valve.)

The other alternative is if the fitting is the wrong diameter or has the wrong number of threads per inch. In theory if it is the right OD it will have the correct number of TPI, but I have seen exceptions. Again, if this is the case, it needs to be replaced.

It is possible that you simply didn't tighten it enough, but in general plumbing fittings are designed to work properly without the need for brute force. So if that is what it takes, then something likely isn't properly fitting, so to speak.

Thats all I got. Good luck. I hate plumbing and decided a few years ago that I would only do waste side and never supply side, particularly if it is going to be covered up by a wall or a floor or the ground. So, if it was really my sprinkler system I would hire someone to fix it and turn my attention to a football game or similar.
                    The valve drains when you shut the line off. It's pressurized, so the water sprays out of the bottom at first. The picture was from right after that.

I ended up cutting the line so I could torque it down. It's amazing how easy it was to get the fittings to turn this morning. Not sure if that has to do with wet teflon tape, or a colder valve, or what. But I was able to tighten down both sides of the valve. After letting the glue dry on the new coupler, I pressure tested it, and there are no leaks.

Comment

Just need to finish filling in the hole. On a date with Mrs. Diddley and we're going to see the Downton Abbey movie.

Comment

The valve drains when you shut the line off. It's pressurized, so the water sprays out of the bottom at first. The picture was from right after that.

I ended up cutting the line so I could torque it down. It's amazing how easy it was to get the fittings to turn this morning. Not sure if that has to do with wet teflon tape, or a colder valve, or what. But I was able to tighten down both sides of the valve. After letting the glue dry on the new coupler, I pressure tested it, and there are no leaks.
                        No leaks are good for plumbers and governments.
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

And diapers

Comment

Just need to finish filling in the hole. On a date with Mrs. Diddley and we're going to see the Downton Abbey movie.
                            That’s much more detail than I needed to hear.
                            τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post

That’s much more detail than I needed to hear.

I have a zone that won't turn on in the afternoon, but will in the morning. My best guess is that the temperature is affecting the wiring where it grounds out in the afternoon. I have to use the bleeder screw to get it to work.

Backstory is I have to water 10 minutes in the morning and late afternoon after tip spreading & over seeding.

Comment

Working...
                              X