The Official Jailbroken iPhone Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Official Jailbroken iPhone Thread

Hi, my name is Ted and I am a jailbroken iPhone user. The Android abusers have their thread. This one is ours.

The main reason I jailbreak my iPhone is for two apps:

(1) PdaNet. This allows me to tether my laptop off my iPhone's data connection. Most of the time I am usually around wifi so I don't really need a 3G/Edge connection for my laptop. There are times, however, when I need to read my email or something on the road.

(2) 3G Unrestrictor. AT&T places restrictions on which apps can be used with 3G/Edge data connections. 3G Unrestrictor removes the restrictions. For example, it allows me to download App Store or iTunes Store downloads that are over 10MB when on the road.

I recently jailbroke iOS 4.0 with the PwnageTool 4.01 and installed it on my 3GS. It all went smooth, however, my iPhone has rebooted a couple of times while doing some multitasking app switching. I don't know if this has anything to do with the jailbreaking or with iOS 4.0 being a little buggy.

So what other jailbreak apps are iPhone abusers using? Any jailbreaking experiences, tips, links, etc. you would like to share?
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Jailbreaking your iPhone is now legal. I feel better now.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I have an ipod touch. I jailbroke it. I can now do pretty much all of the things I could do before. Life is pretty much the same.

I wish I had an iphone.
      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Here are some Cydia apps you might be interested with an iPod Touch:

MxTube Download and save YouTube videos so you can view them when not online.

Veency (VNC server) Control your iPod/iPhone from your computer.

OverBoard Nice for organizing the apps on the springboard and switching between pages.

Firewall IP "Firewall" for your iPod/iPhone.

Safari Downloader Allows you to download files to your iPod/iPhone via MobileSafari.

Cyntact Add pictures to Contact List.

AdBlock Blocks advertisements for MobileSafari.

Winterboard or BossPaper Customize the look of your iPod/iPhone's springboard.

sbsettings Quick way to change springboard settings.

Five Column Springboard Five columns of apps instead of four.

Five Icon Dock Like the above for the dock.

Backgrounder or QuickDo If you are not running iOS 4.0 then this allows you to put applications in the background. For example, Pandora while your read email.

Universal Search Searches not only your iPod/iPhone but google, images, maps, dictionary, stock market.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Nugent View Post
          Here are some Cydia apps you might be interested with an iPod Touch:

MxTube Download and save YouTube videos so you can view them when not online.

Veency (VNC server) Control your iPod/iPhone from your computer.

OverBoard Nice for organizing the apps on the springboard and switching between pages.

Firewall IP "Firewall" for your iPod/iPhone.

Safari Downloader Allows you to download files to your iPod/iPhone via MobileSafari.

Cyntact Add pictures to Contact List.

AdBlock Blocks advertisements for MobileSafari.

Winterboard or BossPaper Customize the look of your iPod/iPhone's springboard.

sbsettings Quick way to change springboard settings.

Five Column Springboard Five columns of apps instead of four.

Five Icon Dock Like the above for the dock.

Backgrounder or QuickDo If you are not running iOS 4.0 then this allows you to put applications in the background. For example, Pandora while your read email.

Universal Search Searches not only your iPod/iPhone but google, images, maps, dictionary, stock market.
          Just a few more apps and you'll have a nearly fully functioning basic Droid!
          At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
          -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
            Just a few more apps and you'll have a nearly fully functioning basic Droid!
            Or at least the same number of apps that are available for a droid.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
              I have an ipod touch. I jailbroke it. I can now do pretty much all of the things I could do before. Life is pretty much the same.

I wish I had an iphone.
              I'm a MAC honk, have every Apple product, desk top, lap top, ipod, touch, shuffle, ipad....

I prefer the Android phones.

Comment

Ted replying to himself because he is the only iPhone user left. Kind of sad.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  I can't bite the hand that feed me.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

BTW, you and Babs are leaving me hanging in the Big 12 thread. Where are you guys?
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I'm still an iPhone user, but a former jailbreaker. There just aren't enough worthwhile apps on cydia.

Comment

I have an iPhone, but have never jailbroken it. There are benefits, but I have never seen anything that seems compelling enough for me to do it. I'm probably going to pick up a new one in a few weeks, maybe I will do that one.

Comment

Originally posted by 1337coug View Post
                          I'm still an iPhone user, but a former jailbreaker. There just aren't enough worthwhile apps on cydia.
                          Some of the other reasons I keep my iphone jailbroken are:

(1) I want the freedom to leave AT&T for T-Mobile. I am still with AT&T currently but someday I may want to change. With a jailbroken phone I am one step away from being able to switch to T-Mobile.

(2) The resell value of jailbroken/unlocked iPhones on ebay/craiglist is incredible. It seems one can usually get more than they paid for the iphone originally even if it is a generation old if it is jailbroken and unlocked.

(3) Once in a while I want to try an app out before I buy it and the app doesn't have a "lite" version. There is app called installous that can be used to install "cracked apps". I have no problem buying an app if it is good but want to try it out first.

(4) I must have my old school games. There are a few old games I like to play so I have N64iPhone, Snes4iPhone, and mame4iphone installed.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

A couple of more reasons to jailbreak your iDevice...

(1) XBMC is now available for your iPhone or iPad and even your AppleTV 2 to support 1080p content.

(2) The VLC player is no longer available in the app store.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

There is now an untethered jailbreak available for iOS 4.2.1. This means you don't have to re-jailbreak if you happen to reboot your device. So gather up all your Apple iDevices: iPhones, itouches, iPads, and AppleTV 2's. There is some work to be done...

http://www.dkszone.net/jailbreak-ios...reenpois0n-rc5

I am trying it on my son's iTouch first and will let you know how it goes.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                              X