Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what point does low mileage become a liability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At what point does low mileage become a liability?

So I'm in the market for a cheap 3/4 ton diesel pickup. Surprisingly, that's not an oxymoron if you go old enough.

Anyway, yesterday I looked at a 1990 F-250 with only 47K miles! It is in pristine condition and only $6K. SuperCab, dually, longbed, already set up for a 5th wheel hitch, 6 new tires, shift kit, etc.

Generally, low miles is a good thing but if you do the math on this one that's like 2500 miles a year. Seems like it could be a negative at that point if all it did is sit around a farm or take one trip a year, etc.

Thoughts?
    "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
    So I'm in the market for a cheap 3/4 ton diesel pickup. Surprisingly, that's not an oxymoron if you go old enough.

Anyway, yesterday I looked at a 1990 F-250 with only 47K miles! It is in pristine condition and only $6K. SuperCab, dually, longbed, already set up for a 5th wheel hitch, 6 new tires, shift kit, etc.

Generally, low miles is a good thing but if you do the math on this one that's like 2500 miles a year. Seems like it could be a negative at that point if all it did is sit around a farm or take one trip a year, etc.

Thoughts?
    Is Utah one of those states that lets you reset the odometer when you put a new engine in the vehicle?
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
      Is Utah one of those states that lets you reset the odometer when you put a new engine in the vehicle?
      Not sure. But based on the CarFax and the condition of the interior, I believe the mileage.
      "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Not sure. But based on the CarFax and the condition of the interior, I believe the mileage.
        If it's a Utah vehicle, how's the rust on the chassis?
        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Kelley Blue Book has it below $3k in your zipcode:

http://www.kbb.com/kbb/UsedCars/Pric...uizConditions=

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
            Kelley Blue Book has it below $3k in your zipcode:

http://www.kbb.com/kbb/UsedCars/Pric...uizConditions=
            Not if you add the diesel, 4WD, dually, and other options. They put it at $5600 then.

Comment

Thoughts?
              I was reading a blog entry by a guy who got a loaner from his FIL while he and his wife were looking for a new car. It was a 1992 Toyota Corolla with extremely low miles, it was apparently originally owned by an elderly woman who died. The guy mentioned that the lack of use caused problems for the shocks and something about the compression in the engine. The shocks could probably easily be remedied. But you'd have to ask a mechanic about what happens to a diesel engine in that situation and whether the associated problems could be remedied. It seems to me that it would be a good deal to buy something like that and then just get whatever maintenance done that is required (unless it's an irreversible problem). I would also get every single conceivable fluid changed.

Essentially you'd be buying a car with the equivalent of 3-4 years of use on it, though it is early 90s technology. Diesel engine trucks aren't cheap, so it might be worth it.
              Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

I wouldn't think twice. In fact, I'd jump on it. You might have concern if it was something under 500 miles a year (basically in storage) but 2,500 miles sounds great to me. Driven enough to that the owner would need to keep it roadworthy but hardly putting any wear on the vehicle.

I bought my '83 motorhome with 47k miles on it, but that's not very unusual for RVs. They do a lot of sitting. Sounds like maybe the truck you're looking at was only used for hauling as well.
                "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

So I went with a different truck for the following reasons:

1. This one was at a dealer and he got it at auction so you just don't know the history. It could have sat for years and been drivien 10K a year before that, etc.

2. The truck I went with is a full crew cab, not just an extended cab which was better for the family.

3. The truck I went with has had almost everything but the motor replaced, and since it's a diesel I'm not too worried about the motor. Transmissions only has 15K, it has tons of new suspension stuff (ball joints, tie rods, shocks, etc.), new power steering pump and steering box, alternator, water pump, and on and on.

4. I paid about $1000 less for it.

Anyway here's the one I ended up getting. I think it was a smoking deal considering all the new stuff on it.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=0&n...iew&ad=2676998

Comment

So I went with a different truck for the following reasons:

1. This one was at a dealer and he got it at auction so you just don't know the history. It could have sat for years and been drivien 10K a year before that, etc.

2. The truck I went with is a full crew cab, not just an extended cab which was better for the family.

3. The truck I went with has had almost everything but the motor replaced, and since it's a diesel I'm not too worried about the motor. Transmissions only has 15K, it has tons of new suspension stuff (ball joints, tie rods, shocks, etc.), new power steering pump and steering box, alternator, water pump, and on and on.

4. I paid about $1000 less for it.

Anyway here's the one I ended up getting. I think it was a smoking deal considering all the new stuff on it.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=0&n...iew&ad=2676998
                    Can't fault that reasoning. As appealing as the 47k miles is, I would almost always give preference to a private party sale over a used dealer sale for the same reason you mentioned - no history.

And that is no shorty truck you found either!
                    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                      And that is no shorty truck you found either!
                      No doubt. Fortunately I should not have to drive it as a daily driver very often as I car pool for work. And I have a 1 car garage that is almost double depth where I have my shop so I can still park it inside. I measured and all I should have to do is move a toolbox or two. Worst case I'll park it on the side of the house where I used to park the RV.

Comment

No doubt. Fortunately I should not have to drive it as a daily driver very often as I car pool for work. And I have a 1 car garage that is almost double depth where I have my shop so I can still park it inside. I measured and all I should have to do is move a toolbox or two. Worst case I'll park it on the side of the house where I used to park the RV.
                        That looks like a nice truck and a good deal.

Comment

Working...
                        X