The Official Rooted Android Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    I am planning to get a Droid this fall, but I need someone to translate some of this thread out of techie. Rooted? Bricked? Thanks
    bricked=your service provider made your device unusable, i.e. it is no more useful than a brick. rooted=gained root access to your phone, i.e. have the ability to make any custom changes you want (custom roms, operating systems, etc.)
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by camleish View Post
      bricked=your service provider made your device unusable, i.e. it is no more useful than a brick. rooted=gained root access to your phone, i.e. have the ability to make any custom changes you want (custom roms, operating systems, etc.)
      thanks. I will be returning to this thread once I get it this fall.
      "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

ARRGGHH! We went to dinner at Texas Roadhouse in Sandy tonight. I left my Droid sitting on the table. I called back 15 minutes after I left and they went to look for it but said they couldn't find it. I KNOW I left it there because I had it out surfing the web during dinner.

When I call it now it goes directly to voicemail without ringing. I guarantee you the stinking bus boys stole it. Fetch!

Comment

YES!!! They found my phone! I had been texting it saying stuff like "turn it back in to the restaurant and I won't press charges" and making calls to the numbers that showed up on the Verizon Website that the thief had been calling. Well, tonight the restaurant called me up and said "we found your phone".

I'm glad the busboy finally listened to his conscience.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
            YES!!! They found my phone! I had been texting it saying stuff like "turn it back in to the restaurant and I won't press charges" and making calls to the numbers that showed up on the Verizon Website that the thief had been calling. Well, tonight the restaurant called me up and said "we found your phone".

I'm glad the busboy finally listened to his conscience.
            Right on.

You need to install one of the security apps like WaveSecure that help you lock it up and locate it using a web site when it is lost or stolen.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              Right on.

You need to install one of the security apps like WaveSecure that help you lock it up and locate it using a web site when it is lost or stolen.
              Definitely going to do that tonight.

I'm also definitely not going to root my Incredible. I did some reading and it looks like the root steps for the Incredible are pretty raw right now - they haven't been tested all that much by the community. Also, if I brick it there are huge delays in getting a new one.

Comment

Right on.

I use Lookout. I can locate my Droid via GPS if it is lost or stolen. It will also send a signal to the phone causing it to emit a loud shrill so you can locate it behind the couch, in between the seats of the car, etc.
                I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Well I have been playing around with some custom ROMs. First I tried the Fresh 2.3.3 ROM:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=681856

Seemed to work OK for a few days but the performance didn't seem any better than the stock ROM from Sprint. Then the performance deteriorated. I wiped and reinstalled and had the same result. Very buggy.

Next I tried the ZenEXP ROM:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=666967

Much better experience this time. It is lightning fast and seems stable. Kind of strange to have instantaneous response to almost everything. Very happy with this one so far.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Well I have been playing around with some custom ROMs. First I tried the Fresh 2.3.3 ROM:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=681856

Seemed to work OK for a few days but the performance didn't seem any better than the stock ROM from Sprint. Then the performance deteriorated. I wiped and reinstalled and had the same result. Very buggy.

Next I tried the ZenEXP ROM:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=666967

Much better experience this time. It is lightning fast and seems stable. Kind of strange to have instantaneous response to almost everything. Very happy with this one so far.
                    Should I wait for Froyo or should I, a rookie, fool around with this?
                    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                      I'm waiting. It should only be a couple of days.
                      "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                      "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                      "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                        If you are happy with how your phone is working, you should probably wait. Rooting is fun but there is some risk and it requires some decent hacking skills.

Comment

If you are happy with how your phone is working, you should probably wait. Rooting is fun but there is some risk and it requires some decent hacking skills.
                          I have no hacking skills. I take the Twelfth Article of Faith seriously.
                          “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                          ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                          -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                          --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Okay fellas I'm on board. Rooting my Hero as I type this.

EDIT: Done. Now I need to decide whether to brave a froyo rom or go with one of the more stable ones.
                            Last edited by FMCoug; 08-13-2010, 01:49 PM.
                            "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
                              Okay fellas I'm on board. Rooting my Hero as I type this.

EDIT: Done. Now I need to decide whether to brave a froyo rom or go with one of the more stable ones.

I have been watching the discussion on the froyo ROMs and none of them seem to be quite ready for prime time. Let me know if you try one and you like it. I have my eye on the one by Cyanogen, but it is still in beta.

I am still very happy with ZenEXP. It has a few bugs but no more than I had with the stock ROM and he is going to release an update in a few days. I will probably load that one and wait for one of the froyo ROMs to stabilize.

Which phone do you have?

Comment

I have been watching the discussion on the froyo ROMs and none of them seem to be quite ready for prime time. Let me know if you try one and you like it. I have my eye on the one by Cyanogen, but it is still in beta.

I am still very happy with ZenEXP. It has a few bugs but no more than I had with the stock ROM and he is going to release an update in a few days. I will probably load that one and wait for one of the froyo ROMs to stabilize.

Which phone do you have?
                                I have the hero. I just tried the cyanogen froyo rom and the phone wouldn't even boot. Installing fresth toast 2.1.1 right now. Is that the one you said you didn't like? Lots of guys here are running it.
                                "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Working...
                                X