Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you big on supporting the local guy vs. big box retailers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you big on supporting the local guy vs. big box retailers?

We've had the great fortune to have our washer conk out on us this week, so it's time for some unwanted shopping. I was talking to a guy in the ward who acted as the ME and declared our washer dead and he was very big on going through a local store to support the little guy. I've considered it, but Home Depot has a good washer that we can get for about $200 cheaper than what the local guy can offer.

How much do you care about supporting the local guy and at what point do you go big box?

By the way, Home Depot has been good to us and I'm pretty sure that the people who work there are "local guys," too.
    I am very adamant about going through local stores
    3.23%
    I prefer local stores, but sometimes consider the large national chains
    32.26%
    I don't care, I listen to the money
    58.06%
    I stick to the big retailers for selection, variety, prices. Why bother checking the little guys?
    6.45%
    I have nothing else to say at this time.

We're thinking of going here tomorrow to look for a cooktop:

http://www.searsoutlet.com/d/product...8&sn=CHARLOTTE

I like outlets. I always check the little guys, but if they're more than $40 above the big guys, I go with price. But, the bottom line is what I look at.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

I like to support the local guys when possible, if the price is reasonably close. There was a nice little hardware store nearby that went belly-up after Home Depot came to town. I was pretty disappointed.

Same thing goes for local vs. mail order; I like to try to help keep a quality shop in business, if the price is reasonably close. This not only applies to home improvement items, but also other types of businesses - bike shops, scuba gear, etc.

Comment

I should add that whenever I need a screw or a nut or some sort of hardware, I always go to the little hardware stores. I like being able to walk in and actually touch the thing that I need, see if it matches what I brought with me, and then buy only what I need for a few cents rather than having to buy a plastic-sealed box of them at Lowe's. I get the little paper bag and write my 27ยข x 2 on it, and then pay and leave.

I also find that the men who work in these places actually know what they're talking about and can answer questions the way that most bigbox employees can only dream about doing.
        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Working...
        X