Blessing a child

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
    As soon as I can get to Niku's house to pick up the microphone and other equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Get your kids out of the pool and get them over to Niku's to muck that mother-ucker out of his house!
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Did the switch for all three kids. So far everything in all of their blessings have come true.
      "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
      "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
      This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
      "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
      "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
        Wait, why wouldn't you do the switch?
        DH is wrong - at least as it pertains to this non-switcher

Why would you do the switch? you are addressing Heavenly Father, why change in the middle? you don't do that any other time you are addressing Heavenly Father.
        I'm like LeBron James.
        -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post

Why would you do the switch? you are addressing Heavenly Father, why change in the middle? you don't do that any other time you are addressing Heavenly Father.
          SO maybe we should start blessings by addressing the child by birth order and gender (if known and assigned) and then give a blessing. No swithc and everyone is happy!

I just don't think it is that big of a deal.
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
            SO maybe we should start blessings by addressing the child by birth order and gender (if known and assigned) and then give a blessing. No swithc and everyone is happy!

I just don't think it is that big of a deal.
            of course its not - the entire discussion is more a joke than anything.
            I'm like LeBron James.
            -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by beefytee View Post
              I don't get the switch hate. Once they have a name, you give them a regular priesthood blessing.

Yeah things are a little different because you have to give them a name, but after they have a name it is just like any other blessing.

How did people get such weird views of baby blessings?

I assume you all think the baby should be in white like a christening. How many of you went in all white to get your patriarchal blessing?
              HaHa! God doesn't care about the color of our clothes! I agree that requiring all-white clothes for anything would be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                HaHa! God doesn't care about the color of our clothes! I agree that requiring all-white clothes for anything would be wrong.
                god hates painters
                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

When my youngest grandchild was blessed earlier this year, his father started out by calling him by name, before giving him that name. He eventually stumbled through the rest of the steps of the blessing. I'm trying to figure out how this fits in with the switch.

When I blessed my kids, it was a prayer to our Heavenly Father and any blessings were asked for in that prayer rather than pronounced directly. That's how I happen to feel that it should be done.

The story in the original posting sounds rather awkward. Sounds like something that might happen in Utah where sometimes they tend to forget the higher principles and concentrate on the letter of the law.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post

The story in the original posting sounds rather awkward. Sounds like something that might happen in Utah where sometimes they tend to forget the higher principles and concentrate on the letter of the law.
                    Lol. Ok, Scott.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
                      When my youngest grandchild was blessed earlier this year, his father started out by calling him by name, before giving him that name. He eventually stumbled through the rest of the steps of the blessing. I'm trying to figure out how this fits in with the switch.

When I blessed my kids, it was a prayer to our Heavenly Father and any blessings were asked for in that prayer rather than pronounced directly. That's how I happen to feel that it should be done.

I'm like LeBron James.
                      -mpfunk

Comment

This thread reminds me of a quote...something about the philosophies of men mingled with scriptures.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

For some reason this reminded me of a recent challenge between a friend and I at church. If asked to give a prayer in Sac meeting we had to either use 5 adjectives before HF or find a way to ask HF to bless himself with something. We started this challenge in early 2017 and then as if by divine intervention neither of us were asked to pray, until a glorious sabbath morning 2-3 weeks ago. I went 5 adjectives you wouldn't believe how much more powerful the spirit was at our meeting that day, it almost felt like a ward in Zion. For reals.
                          Get confident, stupid
                          -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                            For some reason this reminded me of a recent challenge between a friend and I at church. If asked to give a prayer in Sac meeting we had to either use 5 adjectives before HF or find a way to ask HF to bless himself with something. We started this challenge in early 2017 and then as if by divine intervention neither of us were asked to pray, until a glorious sabbath morning 2-3 weeks ago. I went 5 adjectives you wouldn't believe how much more powerful the spirit was at our meeting that day, it almost felt like a ward in Zion. For reals.

WHich five? Here is my try:

dear, gracious, eternal, loving, patient.
                            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

This is why my family growing up was anti switch and why avoiding the switch feels more natural to me. But I am a couple decades past the point where it bothered me in the slightest to be done the other way. The switch is actually pretty much the only way it is done any more; it is very rare I hear an non switch blessing.

Also for their blessings we dressed my daughter was in a pink tutu and my son in a the lime green jumper I was blessed in.

Comment

How can you give a name and a blessing without switching? It's a two part process. Man, we are a peculiar people.
                                A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Working...
                                X