Blessing a child

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
    Wasn't there some conference talk to that effect recently? I recall listening to or reading something like that, that fathers should exercise their priesthood even if "worthiness" is an issue.

Maybe I dreamed it.
    I'm not familiar with that one.
    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
      Wasn't there some conference talk to that effect recently? I recall listening to or reading something like that, that fathers should exercise their priesthood even if "worthiness" is an issue.

Maybe I dreamed it.
      Perhaps this is what you're thinking about?

Originally posted by Boyd Packer
      Another time I was in a distant city. After a conference we were ordaining and setting apart leaders. As we concluded, the stake president asked, “Can we ordain a young man to be an elder who is leaving for the mission field?” The answer, of course, was yes.

As the young man came forward, he motioned for three brethren to follow and stand in for his ordination.

I noticed on the back row a carbon copy of this boy, and I asked, “Is that your father?”

The young man said, “Yes.”

I said, “Your father will ordain you.”

And he protested, “But I’ve already asked another brother to ordain me.”

And I said, “Young man, your father will ordain you, and you’ll live to thank the Lord for this day.”

Then the father came forward.

Thank goodness he was an elder. Had he not been, he soon could have been! In the military they would call that a battlefield commission. Sometimes such things are done in the Church.
      http://lds.org/conference/talk/displ...1207-2,00.html

Comment

I don't believe that anecdote was intended to be a procedural precedent-setter.

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
          I don't believe that anecdote was intended to be a procedural precedent-setter.
          I can't think of any reason for sharing the anecdote other than the reason he says he shared it. "Sometimes such things are done in the Church."

Comment

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
            I can't think of any reason for sharing the anecdote other than the reason he says he shared it. "Sometimes such things are done in the Church."
            Yes, sometimes they are, when under the direction of the presiding priesthood authority.

Comment

Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
              Perhaps this is what you're thinking about?

http://lds.org/conference/talk/displ...1207-2,00.html
              I don't think so, I remember the talk he is speaking of and it was about a semi/non active father baptizing his son, iirc.
              "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

Comment

If he fills out form 10/13A 2005 series, along with supporting documents 16A-Revision10B & 2 forms of acceptable identification, then file the goldenrod copy with the presiding authority, the pink copy with the central office, the white copy goes to the issuing office, and he keeps the tan copy -- then he should be ok after a 6 week wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                  Yes, sometimes they are, when under the direction of the presiding priesthood authority.
                  I have heard a lot of stories about priesthood leaders literally and figuratively pulling inactive dads out of a bars to come baptize their kids but have no personal experience with that. If those stories are true it sounds like where the rubber meets the road that many priesthood leaders make every effort to make sure that fathers can perform priesthood ordinances. I have heard stories about Bishops being real sticklers but I'm not sure that is the rule. My feeling is that if you have a father who wants to do an ordinance that only the most serious of things ought to stand in the way of it. The potential benefits are so great and the risks are so small.

Comment

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                    I have heard a lot of stories about priesthood leaders literally and figuratively pulling inactive dads out of a bars to come baptize their kids but have no personal experience with that. If those stories are true it sounds like where the rubber meets the road that many priesthood leaders make every effort to make sure that fathers can perform priesthood ordinances. I have heard stories about Bishops being real sticklers but I'm not sure that is the rule. My feeling is that if you have a father who wants to do an ordinance that only the most serious of things ought to stand in the way of it. The potential benefits are so great and the risks are so small.
                    Blessing children is a strange "ordinance," if we can call it that. I think it's more tradition than anything. I understand that a bishop wants to keep control over who does the blessing in his chapel, but sometimes I think it's ridiculous that a father has to get permission to bless his own child. Such is bureaucracy, I guess. I imagine most bishops almost always get it right in this balance.

But, as long as we're sharing these kinds of stories: A BYU religion prof. once told me a story about a guy who wasn't allowed to bless his baby because the man had a goatee beard. Apparently, the denial was extended right before sacrament meeting, and this guy had a bunch of family in the building. The bearded father didn't make it to the chapel, and the mother informed the family in the chapel before fleeing in tears. This religion prof. was visiting from the HC, and so he got to see the whole thing.

What a mess.
                    "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
                    -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

Originally posted by Solon View Post
                      But, as long as we're sharing these kinds of stories: A BYU religion prof. once told me a story about a guy who wasn't allowed to bless his baby because the man had a goatee beard. Apparently, the denial was extended right before sacrament meeting, and this guy had a bunch of family in the building. The bearded father didn't make it to the chapel, and the mother informed the family in the chapel before fleeing in tears. This religion prof. was visiting from the HC, and so he got to see the whole thing.

That is like a reverse Samson.
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Sounds to me like a lot of questions and potential "that ain't right" scenarios might be cleared up fairly quickly if the guy would just go talk to the bishop.

I don't know, maybe it isn't that simple. Maybe the bishop is setting appointments to meet with him 6 weeks out and that makes it difficult to proceed with this blessing as quickly as the family would like. I don't know. What I do know is that it is all just silly speculation until someone talks to the bishop to figure out what is actually going on and what the interview is about.

I had a nice visit with my bishop and his wife this past week. It occured to me that being bishop could be one of the loneliest jobs out there. It just seems like it would be rare that you get to have a visit that is just a visit and not related to some calling, ordination, youth's birthday and advancement, need for counsel, disciplinary action or followup, etc.

Comment

SWK in MOF talks about a young man who requests a blessing from him.

SWK asks, 'why not your father?'

'My father's a drinker and a smoker.'

'Ask him anyway, he has the right.'

(Something to this, paraphrasing of course)

A father needing permission from a Bishop to bless his own child is RIDICULOUS!

Comment

Originally posted by fusnik View Post
                            SWK in MOF talks about a young man who requests a blessing from him.

SWK asks, 'why not your father?'

'My father's a drinker and a smoker.'

'Ask him anyway, he has the right.'

(Something to this, paraphrasing of course)

A father needing permission from a Bishop to bless his own child is RIDICULOUS!
                            Different circumstances. Different ordinance. Same Priesthood, but different authority needed to perform it.

Simply blessing a child IS a father's right - with or without the priesthood. It's a mother's right too, btw. But the ordinance of giving a child a name and a blessing requires the bishop's keys and his permission. He can use inspiration to let any melch priesthood holder he wants bless a child.

But a father has no "right" to give his child "a name and a blessing." That right is granted to him by the person with the keys to the ordinance, which is the bishop of the ward where the ordinance will be performed...

Comment

I need to bless my kid, but the Bishop has not called me back yet, maybe he thinks I am not worthy.

Also I have a friend in the bishopric of his ward and he says they have received messages on the ward answreing machine the Saturday before and the bishop still lets them do it, he also said he has had people walk up before sacrament saying "hey can we bless our kid today?"
                              *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                                I need to bless my kid, but the Bishop has not called me back yet, maybe he thinks I am not worthy.

Also I have a friend in the bishopric of his ward and he says they have received messages on the ward answreing machine the Saturday before and the bishop still lets them do it, he also said he has had people walk up before sacrament saying "hey can we bless our kid today?"
                                I knew you were the friend he was talking about.
                                "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

Comment

Working...
                                X