Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official Cutting out Cable Thread (Internet TV!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    Xfinity Stream works on a Roku (in Beta) and you don't need Comcast gear. But it's still more expensive than the streamin options like Hulu/Sling/etc.
    I think you have to have Xfinity internet to use their streaming service. Not a great option for those of us with a fiber optic connection.

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
      See ya YouTube TV.
      Yep. No way am I paying cable prices so I can channel surf and watch Bourne or Seinfeld.
      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
      - SeattleUte

Comment

• Last night I saw that Ridiculousness was trending on Twitter. Apparently, MTV is running over 100 hours of Ridiculousness in this week's programming. Google added Viacom so we can watch Ridiculousness almost 24/7 for $15 more a month.
        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
        -Turtle
        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
          Yep. No way am I paying cable prices so I can channel surf and watch Bourne or Seinfeld.
          I got all cancel cultured and just cancelled it.

For those of you who use Sling or playstation, are you still happy with it?
          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
          - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
            I got all cancel cultured and just cancelled it.

For those of you who use Sling or playstation, are you still happy with it?
            playstation got out of the business. I liked it while it lasted

I am also interested in Sling and Hulu
            Last edited by Flystripper; 07-01-2020, 10:21 AM. Reason: more thoughts
            Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
              playstation got out of the business. I liked it while it lasted

I am also interested in Sling and Hulu
              I didn't know that about playstation.

I had sling for awhile. I really didn't like the menu layout but used it until youtube TV came along. Looks like it's still around the same price. I'll look into Hulu also.
              - SeattleUte

Comment

• I've tried Playstation Vue, Hulu, and YTTV. YTTV has been my favorite but the 30% increase in price, the justification for it by lame channels, and the announcement of it all rub me the wrong way. Playstation Vue was OK. Too bad they bowed out of streaming. Hulu had the dorkiest interface on the Roku but it's been a couple of years so maybe it's improved. I've never tried Sling.

If you don't need live sports (which is pretty much everyone right now because live sports don't exist), Philo might be worth a look at $20 a month. There is also fubo and AT&T TV Now.

Clark Howard's website has a channel comparison chart across the 4 big streaming providers (YTTV, Hulu, Sling, AT&T TV Now): https://clark.com/technology/tvsatel...hannel-lineup/

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                  I've tried Playstation Vue, Hulu, and YTTV. YTTV has been my favorite but the 30% increase in price, the justification for it by lame channels, and the announcement of it all rub me the wrong way. Playstation Vue was OK. Too bad they bowed out of streaming. Hulu had the dorkiest interface on the Roku but it's been a couple of years so maybe it's improved. I've never tried Sling.

If you don't need live sports (which is pretty much everyone right now because live sports don't exist), Philo might be worth a look at $20 a month. There is also fubo and AT&T TV Now.

Clark Howard's website has a channel comparison chart across the 4 big streaming providers (YTTV, Hulu, Sling, AT&T TV Now): https://clark.com/technology/tvsatel...hannel-lineup/
                  I don't think AT&T TV Now is a thing anymore. We had that before YTTV.

Just put YTTV on pause. On the 26th we'll move to the Sling.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                    I don't think AT&T TV Now is a thing anymore. We had that before YTTV.

Just put YTTV on pause. On the 26th we'll move to the Sling.
                    I'll be interested in how you like Sling. We had that when we first cut the cord so it was a while ago and it worked fine but didn't have quite the features or channels, which is why we switched to PSVue. I'm sure Sling has improved but I wonder by how much.
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Sling marketing department taking advantage. I have Sling, and like it ok. It keeps the peace with the wife, since it has her Hallmark channels and allows her to record the Christmas shows to watch year round

08F5633C-5752-4B66-B3C2-5E3BD2E6A845.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                        I'll be interested in how you like Sling. We had that when we first cut the cord so it was a while ago and it worked fine but didn't have quite the features or channels, which is why we switched to PSVue. I'm sure Sling has improved but I wonder by how much.
                        You still have PSVue? I thought that was going away.

I am wondering about Sling as well. "Blue" looks like a better deal, not to mention you get 3 streams. But "Orange" has ESPN (and only 1 stream?!?). Of course, EPSN isn't worth crap right now because there are no sports to watch unless you like the American Cornhole World Seniors Championship.
                        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                          You still have PSVue? I thought that was going away.

I am wondering about Sling as well. "Blue" looks like a better deal, not to mention you get 3 streams. But "Orange" has ESPN (and only 1 stream?!?). Of course, EPSN isn't worth crap right now because there are no sports to watch unless you like the American Cornhole World Seniors Championship.
                          No, I switched to YTTV when psvue went away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• YTTV got rid of original programming anyway and sold Cobra Kai to Netflix. Netflix remains good, Disney+ is still good, if not a little thin on programming still... definitely worth $5 a month, though.
                            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                              Last night I saw that Ridiculousness was trending on Twitter. Apparently, MTV is running over 100 hours of Ridiculousness in this week's programming. Google added Viacom so we can watch Ridiculousness almost 24/7 for $15 more a month.
                              This article, among other things, talks about why MTV is running Ridiculousness so much:

Earlier this year, people started noticing something peculiar about MTV’s schedule: The network had quietly morphed into an almost 24/7 offering of just one show. At one point in late June, “Ridiculousness” — a half-hour viral video-clip show hosted by famed skateboarder Rob Dyrdek — aired for 113 hours out of the network’s entire 168-hour lineup. Many took it as a sign that MTV, a pioneering force in reality television that only a few years ago had also made major investments in original scripted programming, had just given up.
                              That leads us back to MTV and “Ridiculousness.” When asked about the program’s wall-to-wall scheduling, execs there say we’re missing the point: The linear network is just a single sliver of their business, as MTV fare might be found on Facebook Watch (like a “Real World” reboot), or Quibi (“Punk’d” and “Singled Out” reboots), or Pluto TV (which features multiple MTV-branded channels). Most recently, ViacomCBS announced a revival of MTV’s “Beavis and Butt-Head” that will run on Comedy Central.

“We continue to think of cable as just one piece of our ecosystem,” says Tanya Giles, the general manager of ViacomCBS’ entertainment & youth group. When it comes to finding an audience for old-school MTV, particularly during the pandemic, Giles says “Ridiculousness” grew the network’s frequency and time spent viewing the more it was added to the schedule. “We went from people coming one to two times a week to nearly six times a week to watch ‘Ridiculousness’.… Particularly when COVID hit, now there’s a lot of people at home. We knew that this was a show that many generations could watch. It cut across different genders; it’s laugh out loud; it’s escapist.”

Although not to the extreme of “Ridiculousness,” MTV isn’t the only network to now rely on a steady binge of a handful of repeatable shows to keep the lights on. That’s led some to wonder if cable TV has already turned into a collection of “barker networks” — like those channels you find in a hotel room, promoting their offerings on a loop.
                              https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/cab...eid=e715e9d3a4
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Has anyone signed up for Quibi? They seem to have invested a ton into it. Other than my Instagram ad feed, I don't know anyone talking about it.
                                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X