Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 489

Thread: The Official Cutting out Cable Thread (Internet TV!)

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,543

    Default The Official Cutting out Cable Thread (Internet TV!)

    As I've said before, the Findersons are moving. Yesterday I called Comcast to change our cable service to the new residence. Originally I agreed to a 2-year contract that would bundle cable and internet for one reasonable price. Minutes after I finished the call, I talked with Faith about the fact that everything that we watch, with the exception of HBO content, is legally streamed for FREE over the internet. So we are going to experiment with cutting the cord and switching to all-internet-based television.

    This thread is designed to contain useful information for people who want to cut Cable out of their lives, and switch to all-internet-based television. If people have useful information about online services for watching television, this would be the place to post about that. Please include the following information about the online television services you describe

    Location: (example) www.hulu.com
    Service: (example) Paid and non-paid ad-supported television programming including some basic cable (Comedy Central), as well as most major networks (CBS excluded).
    Legality: (example) 100% legit. Programming is ad-supported with several options for ad-viewing (one long ad at the beginning, or several ads throughout).
    Notes: (example) hulu currently offers some HD content, though only up to 720p. They are expanding their services to include a paid option, that will cost $10/month and will not eliminate advertising, but will offer a deeper catalog of on-demand programing. The DVR is dead!

  2. #2
    Board eye candy beefytee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lehi
    Posts
    4,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobinFinderson View Post
    As I've said before, the Findersons are moving. Yesterday I called Comcast to change our cable service to the new residence. Originally I agreed to a 2-year contract that would bundle cable and internet for one reasonable price. Minutes after I finished the call, I talked with Faith about the fact that everything that we watch, with the exception of HBO content, is legally streamed for FREE over the internet. So we are going to experiment with cutting the cord and switching to all-internet-based television.

    This thread is designed to contain useful information for people who want to cut Cable out of their lives, and switch to all-internet-based television. If people have useful information about online services for watching television, this would be the place to post about that. Please include the following information about the online television services you describe

    Location: (example) www.hulu.com
    Service: (example) Paid and non-paid ad-supported television programming including some basic cable (Comedy Central), as well as most major networks (CBS excluded).
    Legality: (example) 100% legit. Programming is ad-supported with several options for ad-viewing (one long ad at the beginning, or several ads throughout).
    Notes: (example) hulu currently offers some HD content, though only up to 720p. They are expanding their services to include a paid option, that will cost $10/month and will not eliminate advertising, but will offer a deeper catalog of on-demand programing. The DVR is dead!
    Looks like hulu is going to offer past seasons of shows for $10 a month.

    I have considered this cutting the cable, but there would need to be some kind of online sports package available for me to do this. I haven't heard of too many of those. I guess ESPN3 is part of that, but that doesn't include BYU sports.

    I would also try to get an HD antenna and pick up the local channel. If you want the local news or something.

  3. #3
    BYU Delenda Est Mormon Red Death's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    the Planet Lovetron, bringing funkiness to all over the world
    Posts
    7,568

    Default

    If the MWC or now the Pac-12 had something similar to Mlb.tv on ps3 then I would definitely cut out cable.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

    "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

  4. #4
    Rabblerouser statman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lehi
    Posts
    2,798

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobinFinderson View Post
    As I've said before, the Findersons are moving. Yesterday I called Comcast to change our cable service to the new residence. Originally I agreed to a 2-year contract that would bundle cable and internet for one reasonable price. Minutes after I finished the call, I talked with Faith about the fact that everything that we watch, with the exception of HBO content, is legally streamed for FREE over the internet. So we are going to experiment with cutting the cord and switching to all-internet-based television.

    This thread is designed to contain useful information for people who want to cut Cable out of their lives, and switch to all-internet-based television. If people have useful information about online services for watching television, this would be the place to post about that. Please include the following information about the online television services you describe

    Location: (example) www.hulu.com
    Service: (example) Paid and non-paid ad-supported television programming including some basic cable (Comedy Central), as well as most major networks (CBS excluded).
    Legality: (example) 100% legit. Programming is ad-supported with several options for ad-viewing (one long ad at the beginning, or several ads throughout).
    Notes: (example) hulu currently offers some HD content, though only up to 720p. They are expanding their services to include a paid option, that will cost $10/month and will not eliminate advertising, but will offer a deeper catalog of on-demand programing. The DVR is dead!

    Dr. Statman and I are planning on the same. 90% of what we watch is either netflix or hulu. If Hulu would stream to XBox 360/Wii/PS3 like Netflix, it would be more like 99%.

    Sports is the only problem. I watch the NFL over the air - same for all others, but I'll have to spend Saturday afternoons of away games at the local sports bar. $15-$20 a couple times a month during football season is A LOT less than the $100 a month we're paying for Direct TV.

  5. #5
    Golf & Cubs Disrespecter beelzebabette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Salt Lake Valley
    Posts
    2,916

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by statman View Post
    Dr. Statman and I are planning on the same. 90% of what we watch is either netflix or hulu. If Hulu would stream to XBox 360/Wii/PS3 like Netflix, it would be more like 99%.

    Sports is the only problem. I watch the NFL over the air - same for all others, but I'll have to spend Saturday afternoons of away games at the local sports bar. $15-$20 a couple times a month during football season is A LOT less than the $100 a month we're paying for Direct TV.
    Why do I struggle to picture this in a sports bar?

  6. #6
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    29,451

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by statman View Post
    Dr. Statman and I are planning on the same. 90% of what we watch is either netflix or hulu. If Hulu would stream to XBox 360/Wii/PS3 like Netflix, it would be more like 99%.
    You, my friend, need to get PlayOn. The interface is a little primitive, but once you get it going you can watch everything on Hulu on your big-ass tv. It also streams stuff tons of other sites. IIRC its costs $30 one time, although there is a "premium" version that has a monthly fee. I haven't felt the need to get it though.

    Robin, do you have your PS3 networked to your PC? If so, you need this too.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  7. #7
    Liberal Feminazi Pheidippides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    14,762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobinFinderson View Post
    As I've said before, the Findersons are moving. Yesterday I called Comcast to change our cable service to the new residence. Originally I agreed to a 2-year contract that would bundle cable and internet for one reasonable price. Minutes after I finished the call, I talked with Faith about the fact that everything that we watch, with the exception of HBO content, is legally streamed for FREE over the internet. So we are going to experiment with cutting the cord and switching to all-internet-based television.

    This thread is designed to contain useful information for people who want to cut Cable out of their lives, and switch to all-internet-based television. If people have useful information about online services for watching television, this would be the place to post about that. Please include the following information about the online television services you describe

    Location: (example) www.hulu.com
    Service: (example) Paid and non-paid ad-supported television programming including some basic cable (Comedy Central), as well as most major networks (CBS excluded).
    Legality: (example) 100% legit. Programming is ad-supported with several options for ad-viewing (one long ad at the beginning, or several ads throughout).
    Notes: (example) hulu currently offers some HD content, though only up to 720p. They are expanding their services to include a paid option, that will cost $10/month and will not eliminate advertising, but will offer a deeper catalog of on-demand programing. The DVR is dead!
    The fact that they are planning on xbox 360 connectivity in the near future has me intrigued. I may just go that route. Sports be damned.
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

  8. #8
    1 Coach McGuirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Under your skin
    Posts
    12,146

    Default

    I can't give up College football. If I could just order college football that streamed HD, I would give it up in a heart beat. I much prefer catching a whole season in a short time span than waiting each week for an episode.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
    I can't give up College football. If I could just order college football that streamed HD, I would give it up in a heart beat. I much prefer catching a whole season in a short time span than waiting each week for an episode.
    I freeze my DTV account every summer. I keep it for the sports.

  10. #10
    UofU/BYU mixed marriage Scott R Nelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Meridian, ID
    Posts
    901

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobinFinderson View Post
    Legality: (example) 100% legit. Programming is ad-supported with several options for ad-viewing (one long ad at the beginning, or several ads throughout).
    So does that rule out the BitTorrent web sites?

    That is how I'm often able to watch the MotoGP and World Superbike races before they're broadcast on SpeedTV. Usually it's either the BBC version or EuroSports, with much better announcers and fewer commercials. I'll record the Speed version just in case.

    I use a DVR connected to a DirecTV satellite dish for most of my television viewing, so I rarely watch any of the commercials anyway. In fact, I'll often wait until a program has been on for 15 minutes just so I can skip all of the commercials (I'll occasionally back up to watch a Jack In The Box or Budwieser commercial, though). The one compromise that dates back to the first Tivo system is that there is no automatic commercial skip. Too bad, because I have an old VCR that could even do that for recorded programs.

    Programs like Jay Leno, or Burn Notice from USA Network can be viewed the next day. They keep a limited amount of old shows typically. You have to decide what you feel the need to watch regularly to find out if the networks make those shows available.

  11. #11
    Life Glitcher scandell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    235

    Default

    I am so glad you started this thread! My wife and I just canceleld our cable TV subscription last month. We are using Playon and our xbox 360. We have Verizon Fios...and so far so good!

  12. #12
    Boom Bitches!!! BlueHair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,898

    Default

    How can internet tv compare to this?

    http://www.directv.com/titanium/index.html

    10 HD DVRs and every channel available. It includes movies, pay per view, all the sports packs. Everything. For the incredibly low price of $7500 per year.

  13. #13

    Default

    We haven't owned a TV since we got married 16 years ago. Since TV over the internet is a relatively new phenomenon, I haven't really gotten into it, having gotten out of the TV habit.

    College football is the only thing I miss that I'd like to watch more of. I catch BYU and Utah games at either my Dad's or my brother's house. Beyond that, we check out a movie from the library once every couple weeks, and that's about it.

  14. #14
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    33,409

    Default

    No TV? How are you guys going to raise/babysit your kids?
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    No TV? How are you guys going to raise/babysit your kids?
    Books. Kids can bury their noses in books for hours on end as easy as they can stare at a glowing box. Surprisingly, we've had to limit reading time in some cases the way other families limit TV time.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kccougar View Post
    Books. Kids can bury their noses in books for hours on end as easy as they can stare at a glowing box. Surprisingly, we've had to limit reading time in some cases the way other families limit TV time.
    Are you worried that they might turn gay?

    (Sorry... I've listened to too much MW2 chatter)

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobinFinderson View Post
    Are you worried that they might turn gay?

    (Sorry... I've listened to too much MW2 chatter)
    Not having a TV, I doubt the idea would ever even occur to them

  18. #18
    Senior Member Jennerstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Where it never snows, but there's always Blizzard
    Posts
    200

    Default

    I just discovered Miro the other day. It's a video player that functions as a video aggregator, downloading video from rss feeds, streaming websites, etc. For example, being the nerd I am, I use it to subscribe to Youtube channels of Starcraft 2 games to automatically download that channel's latest streaming video.

    If you're cutting out cable, here's how it would work.

    Download Miro. Then use the program as follows:

    Location: Go to http://ezrss.it/ (or some other site like it)
    Search for your favorite show in the search bar. Right click and copy the rss feed that appears with the search results to your clipboard. In miro, click on sidebar, add feed.
    Service: Miro will download the most recent video for that rss feed. You can also tell the program to download all videos in a feed (e.g. download all episodes of the Bachelorette).
    Want to automatically download the latest episode of Glee? Search for Glee, and add the feed to Miro. Miro will download the latest file in the rss feed when it becomes available.
    Legality: If you're using torrents to download copyright shows, 100% not legal. If you're using Miro to follow other rss feeds (like Youtube channels or something), totally legal.
    Notes: Use http://www.mirovideoconverter.com/ to convert the video to a format your cellphone or netbook can watch. One drawback is that Miro is unable to download videos from encrypted sites like Hulu, but you can add the site to the sidebar. Adding a website to the sidebar allows you to jump to Hulu directly and watch videos from within the Miro player.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    If the MWC or now the Pac-12 had something similar to Mlb.tv on ps3 then I would definitely cut out cable.
    Yes, I would kill for this happen.

    Heck, I would settle for the SEC's set-up, where you can watch games streaming online for free the next day (they're also available for download at $3/pop).

    I will say this in favor of cable/satellite: with my current work/sleep schedule there are sporting events (and the rare show) I miss that gets recorded for viewing at a later time. Now I've never used ESPN3.com (none of my internet providers are on the list), but I fear that I would know the result of the game if I wanted to watch it after it's happened.

  20. #20
    Boom Bitches!!! BlueHair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,898

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kccougar View Post
    We haven't owned a TV since we got married 16 years ago. Since TV over the internet is a relatively new phenomenon, I haven't really gotten into it, having gotten out of the TV habit.

    College football is the only thing I miss that I'd like to watch more of. I catch BYU and Utah games at either my Dad's or my brother's house. Beyond that, we check out a movie from the library once every couple weeks, and that's about it.
    Just out of curiousity, what led to the decision to not own a tv? I'm always interested in stories from people who do things a little different than the rest of society.

  21. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kccougar View Post
    Not having a TV, I doubt the idea would ever even occur to them
    Do you ever worry that the real world is going to bitch slap them in the face?

  22. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennerstein View Post
    I just discovered Miro the other day. It's a video player that functions as a video aggregator, downloading video from rss feeds, streaming websites, etc. For example, being the nerd I am, I use it to subscribe to Youtube channels of Starcraft 2 games to automatically download that channel's latest streaming video.

    If you're cutting out cable, here's how it would work.

    Download Miro. Then use the program as follows:

    Location: Go to http://ezrss.it/ (or some other site like it)
    Search for your favorite show in the search bar. Right click and copy the rss feed that appears with the search results to your clipboard. In miro, click on sidebar, add feed.
    Service: Miro will download the most recent video for that rss feed. You can also tell the program to download all videos in a feed (e.g. download all episodes of the Bachelorette).
    Want to automatically download the latest episode of Glee? Search for Glee, and add the feed to Miro. Miro will download the latest file in the rss feed when it becomes available.
    Legality: If you're using torrents to download copyright shows, 100% not legal. If you're using Miro to follow other rss feeds (like Youtube channels or something), totally legal.
    Notes: Use http://www.mirovideoconverter.com/ to convert the video to a format your cellphone or netbook can watch. One drawback is that Miro is unable to download videos from encrypted sites like Hulu, but you can add the site to the sidebar. Adding a website to the sidebar allows you to jump to Hulu directly and watch videos from within the Miro player.
    Wow! This seems like it would be the Holy Grail for unscrupulous internet TV watchers. Just to see if it was for real, I tried it on one of the shows that I am now unable to stream. It wasn't able to connect to the torrent servers. I'm wondering if Comcast is blocking something again.

  23. #23
    Life Glitcher scandell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    235

    Default

    I bought and installed a digital antennae from amazon this week. IT cost me $40 and tt works perfectly.

    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Direct-DB2-Directional-Antenna/dp/B000EHUE7I/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1278266402&sr =8-4"]Amazon.com: Antennas Direct DB2 Multi Directional HDTV Antenna: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5130Z14AYGL.@@AMEPARAM@@5130Z14AYGL[/ame]

    I get free HD of all the major networks. (ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS and a 6 PBS stations). The government set up a website to help all Americans upgrade their antennae. Type in your address and it will tell you what type of antennae is best and which direction to point it.

    http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

  24. #24
    Suomalainen New Mexican Disaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Free State of Nickajack
    Posts
    4,452

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
    Just out of curiousity, what led to the decision to not own a tv? I'm always interested in stories from people who do things a little different than the rest of society.
    I was raised in a no TV household until I was eight. When I finally got to see television for the first time I was so fascinated that I could not pull myself away. After we got a TV we got 1 hour a week other than sports, nature shows or KBYU programming. Also, my parents were very strict about movies and accordingly I only saw a few movies a year.

    I do not watch much TV other than sports but I would absolutely never go back to that under any circumstances. Sometimes it is fun to watch television. Sometimes it is fun to waste some time. What is the point of having free time if I can't watch basketball, baseball and football any time I want? My life would be a hollow shell without them.

  25. #25
    Senior Member Jennerstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Where it never snows, but there's always Blizzard
    Posts
    200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobinFinderson View Post
    Wow! This seems like it would be the Holy Grail for unscrupulous internet TV watchers. Just to see if it was for real, I tried it on one of the shows that I am now unable to stream. It wasn't able to connect to the torrent servers. I'm wondering if Comcast is blocking something again.
    Hmm, yes, sometimes the Internet Providers will block bittorrent ports. I tested Miro and ezrss.it and was able to get the torrents working at greater than 75 kilobytes/sec. Big Bang Theory downloaded perfectly. Glee downloaded perfectly. It was awesome. Even better is that since it's an RSS feed, it will automatically download the latest video on the feed.

    I don't follow shows enough or feel motivated enough to mass download torrents. Must be my strict chinese LDS upbringing. But I do think it's close to the Holy Grail.
    Last edited by Jennerstein; 07-04-2010 at 11:09 PM.

  26. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennerstein View Post
    Hmm, yes, sometimes the Internet Providers will block bittorrent ports. I tested Miro and ezrss.it and was able to get the torrents working at greater than 75 kilobytes/sec. Big Bang Theory downloaded perfectly. Glee downloaded perfectly. It was awesome. Even better is that since it's an RSS feed, it will automatically download the latest video on the feed.

    I don't follow shows enough or feel motivated enough to mass download torrents. Must be my strict chinese LDS upbringing. But I do think it's close to the Holy Grail.
    Weird. So today it is totally working.

    My next step to breaking away from cable will be to get some kind of Media Server that will stream all of my media over my wireless internet to my PS3. Has anyone had any luck with any particular media server? With Hulu and Miro, I'm thinking we are all just about one step away from internet television nirvana (the one step being live sports... pretty big step).

  27. #27
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    29,451

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobinFinderson View Post
    Weird. So today it is totally working.

    My next step to breaking away from cable will be to get some kind of Media Server that will stream all of my media over my wireless internet to my PS3. Has anyone had any luck with any particular media server? With Hulu and Miro, I'm thinking we are all just about one step away from internet television nirvana (the one step being live sports... pretty big step).
    I've used PS3 Media Server for about a 6 months now. It works great and its free. It only streams what's downloaded on your HD though. See my previous post about PlayOn for stuff on the internet.

    I've tried a few other media servers for the PS3 as well, but none of them work better than PS3 Media Server. I just wish it would automatically launch when I started the computer. I suppose I could probably get my PC to do that step, but I don't know how.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  28. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    I've used PS3 Media Server for about a 6 months now. It works great and its free. It only streams what's downloaded on your HD though. See my previous post about PlayOn for stuff on the internet.

    I've tried a few other media servers for the PS3 as well, but none of them work better than PS3 Media Server. I just wish it would automatically launch when I started the computer. I suppose I could probably get my PC to do that step, but I don't know how.
    Ps3 media server is good, and free. If you're looking for something a bit ritzier, I'd suggest medialink. It's $20, and allows not just streaming but copying of files to your ps3 as well. If you're serious about using your ps3 as a media server, robin, I would suggest upgrading your hdd or buying a 1tb external that you an dedicate to always being run on the ps3.

  29. #29
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    29,451

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by camleish View Post
    Ps3 media server is good, and free. If you're looking for something a bit ritzier, I'd suggest medialink. It's $20, and allows not just streaming but copying of files to your ps3 as well. If you're serious about using your ps3 as a media server, robin, I would suggest upgrading your hdd or buying a 1tb external that you an dedicate to always being run on the ps3.
    Interesting. What's the benefit of hosting the files directly on the PS3? I upgraded my PS3 HDD to a 640 GB internal a while ago, but I have less than 5GB used. I've just been streaming everything.

    Also, it looks like media link requires a Mac. Is that true?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  30. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    I've used PS3 Media Server for about a 6 months now. It works great and its free. It only streams what's downloaded on your HD though. See my previous post about PlayOn for stuff on the internet.

    I've tried a few other media servers for the PS3 as well, but none of them work better than PS3 Media Server. I just wish it would automatically launch when I started the computer. I suppose I could probably get my PC to do that step, but I don't know how.
    I downloaded ps3MediaServer for Mac, and it was unable to find my ps3. Then I downloaded EyeConnect, and it found my PS3, no problem. Things are streaming nicely, and will for the next thirty days until EyeConnect ends the trial period (then $50).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •