No announcement yet.

The Big 12 expansion groundswell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe Texas now has a broken heart and contrite spirite.

Comment

• The only thing that will come out of this that provides a small consolation is that there will be a bunch of former crappy BCS teams who will now be left out in the cold and will feel the pain of BYU, TCU and others.

Say the Big 12 is cut down to Missouri, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Baylor.

Any chance they could add Louisville, Houston, SMU, TCU, BYU, maybe West Virginia or other Big East dregs and continue to be a BCS conference?

That's not a terrible group -- probably as good as the current Big East.

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
        The only thing that will come out of this that provides a small consolation is that there will be a bunch of former crappy BCS teams who will now be left out in the cold and will feel the pain of BYU, TCU and others.

Say the Big 12 is cut down to Missouri, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Baylor.

Any chance they could add Louisville, Houston, SMU, TCU, BYU, maybe West Virginia or other Big East dregs and continue to be a BCS conference?

That's not a terrible group -- probably as good as the current Big East.
        The SEC, Big 10 and ACC will scoop up the best of the rest. There won't be much left for BYU to join up with.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
          they won't tell the California schools what to do. It would be a different paradigm. California is the most populous state in the country, and has 50% more people than the second most, Texas. Also, there are four Cal schools, and between them they have about five times as much whatever as Texas, however you choose to measure. Texas would come because of the Pac's incomparable glamour and allur. Texas would be an equal Pac 16 citizen.

I take it a lot of those Californians don't care about football. The attendance at the UCLA/Texas this weekend was about 54,000. As a comparison there were nearly 59,000 people at UTSA's (That is, the University of Texas - San Antonio) first football game ever a few weeks ago.
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
            The SEC, Big 10 and ACC will scoop up the best of the rest. There won't be much left for BYU to join up with.
            Probably. But I have a hard time thinking the Big 10 is going to be excited about the Kansas schools or Iowa State or that the SEC or anybody else is going to want TCU. Or that the SEC or ACC really want Louisville or WVU (maybe I'm wrong). But agreed -- that doesn't leave much of a conference.

If the Big East gets blown up it will be interesting to see what Notre Dame's response will be (for non-football sports but maybe even would affect football). I guess they could always go to the Big 10. Or would the Big 10 take ND's non-football sports alone?

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

I take it a lot of those Californians don't care about football. The attendance at the UCLA/Texas this weekend was about 54,000. As a comparison there were nearly 59,000 people at UTSA's (That is, the University of Texas - San Antonio) first football game ever a few weeks ago.

Here is what we know: now Texas has to beg, give concessions, and get in line with everyone else to find a home. It has lost the leverage it thought it had and all because Aggie finally got one over on them. All this access to Texas talent has produced one national title and one Heisman in what....40-50 years? And that is across ALL Texas schools....including UTSA...that is, the University of Texas - San Antonio.
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• West Virginia is going to the SEC.

Comment

• Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                  West Virginia is going to the SEC.
                  Makes sense. So, WVU to SEC, UCONN and Rutgers (maybe?) to ACC. 2 more for the SEC... Louisville and Mizzou? That leaves 4 for the Big 10... KU, KSU, ND, ISU (?)

Comment

Makes sense. So, WVU to SEC, UCONN and Rutgers (maybe?) to ACC. 2 more for the SEC... Louisville and Mizzou? That leaves 4 for the Big 10... KU, KSU, ND, ISU (?)
                    It'll be interesting to see who the B1G and SEC get. I think they battle over some of the same things. Is it official that WVU is going to the SEC? I could see WVU and Mizzou being pursued by both conferences. KU will probably end up in the B1G. ND, if forced to, will no doubt go to the B1G.

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post

All this access to Texas talent has produced one national title and one Heisman in what....40-50 years? And that is across ALL Texas schools....including UTSA...that is, the University of Texas - San Antonio.
                      What money can buy...

"I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Who are the top non-BCS schools still left out in that scenario?

Cincy, South Florida, Baylor, TCU, BYU, Boise State come to mind.

Mizzou seems like a much more natural fit for the Big Ten than the Kansas schools -- although I guess Kansas and Nebraska go together as much as Illinois and Mizzous.

Comment

• http://twitter.com/#!/Andy_Staples/s...95853439315968

@Andy_Staples
                          Andy Staples
                          Realignment update after getting some feedback from those who know: Pump the brakes on Tex/Pac-12. Might happen. Not imminent.
                          34 minutes ago via TweetDeck
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Yeah, sure.

I've been thinking this was the outcome for a few weeks now, ever since OKU put the brakes on Big-12 expansion.

Ever since I voted for Sarah Palin I haven't had any trust in SU.
                            Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• They need to get this over w/. We've all got better things to do than wait on these fools. The end game is here and UT needs to decide. I never want to hear about Chip Brown again.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Beat Mizzou

Comment

• Hmm... Texas and either ND or Tech is still on the table for ACC expansion:

The ACC is considering three options as it awaits decisions from Texas and Oklahoma, according to an official. The first one is the league's home run swing at luring both Texas and Notre Dame. Plan B is to invite Texas and Texas Tech. Rutgers and Connecticut are Plan C, with a college official saying Connecticut and the ACC have had discussions the past two days.
                                And D^3 said Texas had to beg.
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X