Page 475 of 475 FirstFirst ... 375425465473474475
Results 14,221 to 14,234 of 14234

Thread: The Big 12 expansion groundswell

Quote Originally Posted by Portland Ute View Post
    There was an article in the Boise newpaper that sounded similarly pessimistic:

http://magicvalley.com/sports/colleg...a4bcf887a.html
    Article title:

Ruland: Boise State Football Could Go Way of Nebraska
    Sounds about right. Nobody cares about Boise State now either.
    So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Little bit of schadenfreude going on here- I can't wait to see Boise State fans dwindle and return to their state of really being more into the NFL, anyway.
    www.cufmixtape.com

Signature won a Pulitzer Paperback Writer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Sounds about right. Nobody cares about Boise State now either.
    I read that article earlier today and thought the author was reaching too far by comparing an era when Boise St. won a couple of Fiesta Bowls to an era when Nebraska won three national titles and played for two others. Glory days, well they'll pass you by ...
    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”

Quote Originally Posted by Paperback Writer View Post
    I read that article earlier today and thought the author was reaching too far by comparing an era when Boise St. won a couple of Fiesta Bowls to an era when Nebraska won three national titles and played for two others. Glory days, well they'll pass you by ...
    Yeah, I thought it was a bit of a stretch, but relative to where they had both come from, it is probably an adequate comparison.

Boise is done.

The people in Boise are starting to realize it.

Boise State will lose to Ole Miss and attendance will be horrible at the home games.

Not exactly a Boise paper.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Yeah, I thought it was a bit of a stretch, but relative to where they had both come from, it is probably an adequate comparison.

Boise is done.

The people in Boise are starting to realize it.

Boise State will lose to Ole Miss and attendance will be horrible at the home games.
    this will be utah's gain, as hundreds of displaced Boise fans will migrate back to their previous Ute/anti-BYU fan status.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    Not exactly a Boise paper.
    My bad. It was my understanding it was out of Boise.

Signature won a Pulitzer Paperback Writer's Avatar

I don't consider Boise St. and Nebraska an apt comparison and don't understand "relative to where they had both come from..." I suppose every football tradition has to start somewhere... But Nebraska has a deep football legacy. Nebraska had some undefeated teams in the early days of college football and were good until a down period in the 1940s and 1950s. Bob Devaney arrived in 1962 and brought Nebraska back. The Cornhuskers went undefeated during the regular season in 1965 before wining back-to-back national championships in 1970-71. Tom Osborne then coached the next quarter century from 1973-1997. I don't know if Nebraska will ever be able to repeat that level of success. They are more likely to make a run at a national title a couple of times every decade but that might be asking too much since it's been a dozen years since the Cornhuskers have done so.

I'm not sure if Boise St. is done. College football is cyclical and Boise St. doen't have enough history.
    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”

I don't consider Boise St. and Nebraska an apt comparison and don't understand "relative to where they had both come from..." I suppose every football tradition has to start somewhere... But Nebraska has a deep football legacy. Nebraska had some undefeated teams in the early days of college football and were good until a down period in the 1940s and 1950s. Bob Devaney arrived in 1962 and brought Nebraska back. The Cornhuskers went undefeated during the regular season in 1965 before wining back-to-back national championships in 1970-71. Tom Osborne then coached the next quarter century from 1973-1997. I don't know if Nebraska will ever be able to repeat that level of success. They are more likely to make a run at a national title a couple of times every decade but that might be asking too much since it's been a dozen years since the Cornhuskers have done so.

I'm not sure if Boise St. is done. College football is cyclical and Boise St. doen't have enough history.
    Booooooooooooooooring.

Both programs reached the pinnacle of their potential for an extended period. I think the comparison makes sense. Also, Nebraska will get back there long before Boise does. Boise, like Utah, is done until they hit the jackpot in the coaching lottery.

Bob Bowlsby says that it's possible the B12 could expand to 12 or 14

http://touch.orlandosentinel.com/#se.../p2p-81230247/

Quote Originally Posted by LiveCoug View Post
    Bob Bowlsby says that it's possible the B12 could expand to 12 or 14

http://touch.orlandosentinel.com/#se.../p2p-81230247/
    Boom!
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Default The Big 12 expansion groundswell

We will all be rooting for the big12 champ to be left out until they get a championship game ...
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    We will all be rooting for the big12 champ to be left out until they get a championship game ...
    BYU beating Texas will help with this.

Although I wonder if the Big-12 gets one in due to a loss by a favorite in one of the conference championship games also puts some heat on the Big 12 from other conferences.