Page 552 of 552 FirstFirst ... 52452502542550551552
Results 16,531 to 16,556 of 16556

Thread: The Big 12 expansion groundswell

Quote Originally Posted by Armenag View Post
    Regarding academics, I don't see how the SEC is not a step up from the Big 12. Mostly state flagship schools, with double the AAU members.
    Interesting and thanks for the tip -- hadn't ever counted them. I think the ratio is actually 4-to-3 though: TAM, UF, Mizzou, Vandy vs. ISU, UKan, UT. Which, when you divide by total conference membership, is pretty close to a wash. Okay, I'll quit OU when they move to the SEC just because I don't like the south then, not for academic superiority reasons.

o

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    So when did the JL/Creekster feud become a thing?
    It's a mystery. He seems obsessed with arguing with me at every opportunity. Go figure.
    So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Signature won a Pulitzer Paperback Writer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Armenag View Post
    OU doesn't have many inherent, structural advantages that suggest they should be a top football team -- tradition and great coaching keep them up. Biggest structural advantage is probably proximity to the state of Texas and city of Dallas. Give them a couple mediocre coaches while playing SEC competition -- and only one Texas team on the schedule -- and they could find themselves in a hole that would be much more difficult to get out of compared to playing in the Big 12.

Regarding academics, I don't see how the SEC is not a step up from the Big 12. Mostly state flagship schools, with double the AAU members.
    The same could be said about Alabama...not many inherent structural advantages except tradition and great coaching. And both schools have found themselves in "a hole" after coaching legends left their programs. Which means it's only a matter of finding the "right" coach to put them back on top. You're correct about the advantage OU has with being close to the Dallas metro area - it's an area of about 5 million with some of the best prep football in the country.

OU was in "a hole" post-Barry Switzer. They got out of it with Bob Stoops while playing in the Big 12 against Nebraska (when they were a top ten program), a rejuvenated Texas under Mack Brown, some very good Texas Tech teams under Mike Leach, KSU with Bill Snyder, along with usually competitive A&M and Missouri. OU would be just fine in the SEC with the "right" coach. Alabama would struggle in the Big 12 with the "wrong" coach. Fan support and tradition usually mean it's not long before the "right" coach is hired at schools like OU and Alabama.
    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    It's a mystery. He seems obsessed with arguing with me at every opportunity. Go figure.
    Really? That's what you think? Paranoid much?
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    Really? That's what you think? Paranoid much?
    See what I mean?
    So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    See what I mean?
    You announce to the board your conclusion that I am obsessed with arguing with you (which is sort of funny) and you find that my response proves your point? Whatever, dude. And that is a most decidedly non-lebowski sense of dude. So I can say nothing, which you would take as a concession, or I can say you're wrong, which you then say proves your point. Nice job.

I will try to get treatment for my obsession. thanks for your help.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by Paperback Writer View Post
    The same could be said about Alabama...not many inherent structural advantages except tradition and great coaching. And both schools have found themselves in "a hole" after coaching legends left their programs. Which means it's only a matter of finding the "right" coach to put them back on top. You're correct about the advantage OU has with being close to the Dallas metro area - it's an area of about 5 million with some of the best prep football in the country.

OU was in "a hole" post-Barry Switzer. They got out of it with Bob Stoops while playing in the Big 12 against Nebraska (when they were a top ten program), a rejuvenated Texas under Mack Brown, some very good Texas Tech teams under Mike Leach, KSU with Bill Snyder, along with usually competitive A&M and Missouri. OU would be just fine in the SEC with the "right" coach. Alabama would struggle in the Big 12 with the "wrong" coach. Fan support and tradition usually mean it's not long before the "right" coach is hired at schools like OU and Alabama.
    Good points, but I think Alabama has definite structural advantages in terms of easily reached high school talent -- the state is usually top 10 in terms of players in the NFL, with more than double the state of Oklahoma, and Tuscaloosa is the same distance from Atlanta that Norman is from Dallas -- with New Orleans just another hour away and Memphis and Nashville closer. The state of Oklahoma produces more NFL players than only Arkansas and Kentucky in the SEC, and those three are almost the same.

Interesting and thanks for the tip -- hadn't ever counted them. I think the ratio is actually 4-to-3 though: TAM, UF, Mizzou, Vandy vs. ISU, UKan, UT. Which, when you divide by total conference membership, is pretty close to a wash. Okay, I'll quit OU when they move to the SEC just because I don't like the south then, not for academic superiority reasons.
    Good point; forgot about Iowa State.
    Last edited by Armenag; 01-25-2016 at 08:59 PM.

So this Oklahoma sportswriter was on a conference call with OU president Boren and came away thinking that Boren's favorite choice for expansion is BYU.

https://twitter.com/john_shinn

Quote Originally Posted by kccougar View Post
    Boren is our best (only?) friend right now.
    Bump.

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    Bump.
    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Preparing the kidney again.
    Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Reddit thread on this contains a lot of comments that BYU is not a good fit geographically.

Signature won a Pulitzer Paperback Writer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SandYFan View Post
    Reddit thread on this contains a lot of comments that BYU is not a good fit geographically.
    Neither was West Virginia when they got invited to the Big 12.
    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”

Quote Originally Posted by SandYFan View Post
    Nobody's a perfect candidate. If they were, they would have been added already.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Faith crisis consultant SeattleUte's Avatar

Chicago State is in the WAC. It's not geography that will doom BYU.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Hmm, I wonder why you know that.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Like you know anything about sports.

Pre-Historic Man

Sports Radio is abuzz that Cincy is getting or has received the invite and the speculation is that UConn gets the other invite to capture some portion of the NYC market.
    黑猫, 白猫, 只要会抓老鼠的就是哦好猫

There's no point in capturing markets when everyone is cutting cable.

Nobody gives a crap about football besides Patriots fans in the Northeast.

Interesting article that talks about the consultant the B12 has hired to run statistical models to help them determine the optimal number of teams and which teams to take. They're looking at models using 10, 12, 14 or even 16 teams.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/spor...105fc7a0a.html

Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    Interesting article that talks about the consultant the B12 has hired to run statistical models to help them determine the optimal number of teams and which teams to take. They're looking at models using 10, 12, 14 or even 16 teams.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/spor...105fc7a0a.html
    I'd love to see the data when they've compiled it.
    I don't like Congress. In fact, I hate them. I hate everything about them. I hate their House, I hate their Senate, I hate everything.... I think the whole Congress, their Senate and their House, is classless. They threw beer on my family and stuff last year, and they did a whole bunch of nasty things, and I don't respect them, and they deserve to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    I'd love to see the data when they've compiled it.
    it will be interesting to see if they're successful at keeping it secret.

I love Berry Tramel.

The Cincinnati Enquirer released emails it obtained from Ono's office, in which Boren lauded Ono, writing, “…knowing that you are at the helm in Cincinnati makes me even more inclined to support your cause.”

Very nice and quite possibly true and completely irrelevant to the discussion. First, I would assume Boren and other Big 12 power-brokers sweet-talk all kinds of potential expansion candidates. No reason not to. No reason not to encourage every potential school, to beef up their cause.

Last October, Boren volunteered his pending campaign to push for expansion and other reforms. I asked him who he liked. He said he didn't care. He mentioned all the usual suspects. BYU, Cincinnati, Connecticut, Boise State. Maybe Boren has a personal favorite, but those Cincinnati emails are no clue.

If the Big 12 decides to expand totally East, as it did with West Virginia, then Cincinnati is sitting pretty. If the Big 12 decides to add Brigham Young, which seems to be the strongest candidate outside geography, then Cincinnati could be competing with UConn for only one spot. If the Big 12 decides to add the two best football schools, the league could sweep up the West duo of BYU and Boise State.
    http://newsok.com/boren-says-big-12-...5?articleBar=1

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    Nice article. Crazy how far people have run with the fact that Boren was cordial and complimentary toward Cincinnati in some correspondence.