X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Big 12 expansion groundswell

Why not..

I'll start us off with a Chip Brown tweet

"B12 ADs are meeting with Dan Beebe today in Dallas to talk important issues. Latest here ..."

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
    Why not..

I'll start us off with a Chip Brown tweet

"B12 ADs are meeting with Dan Beebe today in Dallas to talk important issues. Latest here ..."
    On the agenda...'WOO PIG SUEY!!!"
    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Did anyone read UtesRus's long post from CB, I think it was posted this morning. It was actually quite interesting.

He mentioned that TCU was a possibility. Frankly, I don't buy that. TCU is wrong on so many levels and I can't see either the Texas schools or any of the other schools being on board with TCU. The Texas legislature has only so much influence and most of that is wrapped up in Texas, aTm and Texas Tech.

He also mentioned that Chip Brown was being used by someone inside the Texas athletic department, I'll definitely buy that.

He commented on Arkansas leaving the SEC and joining the Big 12. Basically his argument was that Arkansas is in no man's land out in the SEC West and is isolated from its former recruiting grounds: Texas. I understand this and in the short term it would make a lot of sense for Arkansas to leave the SEC so it could reestablish connections in Texas, but the Arkansas people have got to be thinking that a move to the Big 12 would just make them Texas's you know what. The next time Texas wants something, all it has to do is make overtures to the Big 10 or Pac 10. It makes for an incredibly unstable situation when compared to what it has in the SEC.
      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

can someone do a photoshop of Mack Brown as a King and Beebee as a groveling peasant kissing his ring please..

That is what I see most likely happening at this meeting...

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
          Did anyone read UtesRus's long post from CB, I think it was posted this morning. It was actually quite interesting.

He mentioned that TCU was a possibility. Frankly, I don't buy that. TCU is wrong on so many levels and I can't see either the Texas schools or any of the other schools being on board with TCU. The Texas legislature has only so much influence and most of that is wrapped up in Texas, aTm and Texas Tech.

He also mentioned that Chip Brown was being used by someone inside the Texas athletic department, I'll definitely buy that.

He commented on Arkansas leaving the SEC and joining the Big 12. Basically his argument was that Arkansas is in no man's land out in the SEC West and is isolated from its former recruiting grounds: Texas. I understand this and in the short term it would make a lot of sense for Arkansas to leave the SEC so it could reestablish connections in Texas, but the Arkansas people have got to be thinking that a move to the Big 12 would just make them Texas's you know what. The next time Texas wants something, all it has to do is make overtures to the Big 10 or Pac 10. It makes for an incredibly unstable situation when compared to what it has in the SEC.
          Given the reports from last week that TCU would block Baylor from joining the MWC, it's not hard to imagine that it wouldn't go the other way with TCU and the big 12.

I wonder if the Big 12 would be willing to take Memphis and it's $10 million a year for 5 years.
          "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
            Given the reports from last week that TCU would block Baylor from joining the MWC, it's not hard to imagine that it wouldn't go the other way with TCU and the big 12.

I wonder if the Big 12 would be willing to take Memphis and it's $10 million a year for 5 years.
            Wouldn't Tennessee object to Memphis in the SEC?
            “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
            ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
            -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
            --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
              He mentioned that TCU was a possibility.
              He not only mentioned it as a possibility, but said that TCU is above BYU on the Big 12s list.

Comment

This thread will either become the largest one of all time on Cuf, or stand as a silent rebuke and mockery of BYU fans' most fervent hopes and dreams.
                When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                  This thread will either become the largest one of all time on Cuf, or stand as a silent rebuke and mockery of BYU fans' most fervent hopes and dreams.
                  And either way you will crow that you knew it all along.
                  PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post

Can someone educate me on why TCU would block Baylor? I have no idea what that history is.

Comment

Originally posted by scottie View Post
                      Can someone educate me on why TCU would block Baylor? I have no idea what that history is.
                      I believe that way back when Baylor or someone associated with Baylor was instramental in blocking both TCU and SMU from the Big 12. Someone can please correct me if I am in error.
                      "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                        And either way you will crow that you knew it all along.
                        Okay, I'll stick my neck out. If I had to wager I'd say that BYU will not go to the Big 12 (for a variety of reasons). But this isn't a strong feeling. We'll see if there are any tweets and what they say, and what if anything develops.

As I've stated, my personal strong preference is BYU goes to the Big 12.
                        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                          Okay, I'll stick my neck out. If I had to wager I'd say that BYU will not go to the Big 12 (for a variety of reasons). But this isn't a strong feeling. We'll see if there are any tweets and what they say, and what if anything develops.

As I've stated, my personal strong preference is BYU goes to the Big 12.

Classic.
                          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                          -Turtle
                          sigpic

Comment

I'll stick my neck out and say the same thing I said about all the other realignment stuff: I have not idea whether BYU goes to the Big 12 or not. I'll beliive it when I see it. (This is a very courageous approach. It worked well during all the Utah to PAC10 turmoil, so I am sticking with it. )
                            “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                            ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                            -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                            --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Today's meeting is how to squeeze the $40M penalty money out of the CU and NU and divide it up it seems. As for BYU joining the Big 12-2 maybe they will kick out Mizzou and ask BYU to join in its place...

Missouri and the rest of the league. At one point during the 12-day Big 12 Missile Crisis, a Big 12 athletic director told Orangebloods.com that if the league survived, there might be enough votes to kick out Missouri.

Most of that acrimony has been directed at Missouri governor Jay Nixon, who publicly expressed a year ago Missouri would be a good fit for the Big Ten, starting all the instability in the Big 12 that led to two schools leaving and nearly the breakup of the conference.
                              I wouldn't wager on the Big 12-2 kicking out Mizzou. I suspect they will just not let them have any of the CU and NU penalty money.

There is something interesting about the failed Pac 10+6 expansion, however...

The Pac-10 was prepared to replace Texas A&M with Utah and wanted to replace Oklahoma State with Kansas. It would have been a way for the Pac-10 to add TV markets in the 11th hour.
                              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                              X