The Big 12 expansion groundswell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
    Nebraska was an AAU member when it joined the B1G. Nebraska's strategy seems to be to continue to keep getting rolled by Big Ten football powers to ensure they stay in the conference. Start beating Ohio St. consistently and the Huskers might get shown the door.
    Ousted with the help of Wisconsin and Michigan:

http://journalstar.com/news/local/ed...39ec5acb4.html

Comment

• "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Read a few articles about speculation the B1G will try to expand with Texas and Oklahoma and become a super conference. The timing is a few years away to coincide with the expiration of Big12 TV contracts. Part of the speculation is due to the imbalance between East and West divisions thanks in large part to Nebraska tanking. OU/UT/Wisconsin/Iowa/Nebraska is a good balance with Ohio St/Michigan/Penn St/Michigan St. I'm not sure if Texas will be able to abandon Texas Tech and if OU can leave behind Okie St. because of politics. But its interesting.

If that happens, the Big 12 will either collapse or try to survive as a lesser conference. BYU would be a priority target to expand but not sure if a Big 12 minus UT and OU would be all that appealing. If BYU can continue to schedule a couple of quality non-conference opponents, playing in the Big 12 may not be too bad and it would bring better teams to Provo more frequently.
        “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
        "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Nebraska's strategy seems to be to continue to keep getting rolled by Big Ten football powers to ensure they stay in the conference. Start beating Ohio St. consistently and the Huskers might get shown the door.
          Funny. Getting rolled was what led Nebraska to bolt for the Big 12 door in the first place.

Comment

• Originally posted by Babs View Post
            Funny. Getting rolled was what led Nebraska to bolt for the Big 12 door in the first place.
            LOL. The same is true with Colorado. BTW, how are they doing in the Pac-whatever?
            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Read a few articles about speculation the B1G will try to expand with Texas and Oklahoma and become a super conference. The timing is a few years away to coincide with the expiration of Big12 TV contracts. Part of the speculation is due to the imbalance between East and West divisions thanks in large part to Nebraska tanking. OU/UT/Wisconsin/Iowa/Nebraska is a good balance with Ohio St/Michigan/Penn St/Michigan St. I'm not sure if Texas will be able to abandon Texas Tech and if OU can leave behind Okie St. because of politics. But its interesting.
              Is OU a member of the AAU now? I thought that was a requirement for entry to the B1G. Maybe they would consider KU instead. They had a good year this year and somehow managed to beat TCU. Also, they beat the snot out of Rutgers so at least they wouldn't be the worst team in the B1G.
              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                Is OU a member of the AAU now? I thought that was a requirement for entry to the B1G. Maybe they would consider KU instead. They had a good year this year and somehow managed to beat TCU. Also, they beat the snot out of Rutgers so at least they wouldn't be the worst team in the B1G.
                "Oklahoma has a university that the football team can be proud of." Forgot about the AAU deal. But now it's all making sense. Nebraska lost its AAU membership so that OU wouldn't be the only university not in the club. I've always liked KU and was sad that the longest continuous series in football came to an end when Nebraska exited the Big 12. I think OU and Texas would be a package deal unless OU wasn't interested. In that case, KU would be a good substitute.
                “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”

Comment

"Oklahoma has a university that the football team can be proud of." Forgot about the AAU deal. But now it's all making sense. Nebraska lost its AAU membership so that OU wouldn't be the only university not in the club. I've always liked KU and was sad that the longest continuous series in football came to an end when Nebraska exited the Big 12. I think OU and Texas would be a package deal unless OU wasn't interested. In that case, KU would be a good substitute.
                  Oklahoma passed on the SEC’s offer years ago. The Big Ten will never happen. Good luck with the Jayhawks, though. I don’t doubt you’d like to have the series renewed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Babs View Post
                    Oklahoma passed on the SEC’s offer years ago. The Big Ten will never happen. Good luck with the Jayhawks, though. I don’t doubt you’d like to have the series renewed.
                    I think if Texas is serious about the Big Ten, OU would probably follow. Turning down the SEC because Texas would never join it is one thing; going with Texas to the Big Ten is another. If Texas left the Big 12, the conference would probably collapse anyway. OU's options would then be to join the Big Ten or SEC. But you make a good point about the Big Ten never happening for OU. The Sooners might opt for the SEC instead. I do know Nebraska would lobby hard for a Big Ten invitation for OU if OU wanted to go that route. And Texas has enough pull to demand inclusion for OU. It might be a pipe dream, but I would like to have Oklahoma-Nebraska back on the schedule on the day after Thanksgiving.

I think if this plays out, the door opens for BYU to join the Big 12 or what is left of it.

Comment

I think if this plays out, the door opens for BYU to join the Big 12 or what is left of it.
                      This would be good news for BYU football. Not as good as joining the Big 12 with UT and OU. But still an upgrade over indy and significantly better than G5 conference options.

Comment

• Why on earth would OU and Texas want to join the B1G? I call BS on this rumor.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          Why on earth would OU and Texas want to join the B1G? I call BS on this rumor.
                          The short answer is money. Maybe you're right, it might be total BS but there is sound rational behind it. Texas did have discussions with the PAC-10 when it became evident that Colorado would be joining. That is the real reason Nebraska left the Big 12. It wasn't because they were getting rolled by Texas and OU; Nebraska was worried about being left out in the cold if the Big 12 collapsed and knew that was likely to happen if Texas left.

It depends on what Texas wants to do. Continue playing in the Big 12 and getting to dictate terms or leaving for more money in the Big Ten and not having as much influence. I do see a parallel between the Big 12 today and the SWC of years ago. The SWC became unsustainable after Arkansas left with Texas and A&M propping up the SWC. Now, its Texas and OU propping up the Big 12.

Comment

The short answer is money. Maybe you're right, it might be total BS but there is sound rational behind it. Texas did have discussions with the PAC-10 when it became evident that Colorado would be joining. That is the real reason Nebraska left the Big 12. It wasn't because they were getting rolled by Texas and OU; Nebraska was worried about being left out in the cold if the Big 12 collapsed and knew that was likely to happen if Texas left.

It depends on what Texas wants to do. Continue playing in the Big 12 and getting to dictate terms or leaving for more money in the Big Ten and not having as much influence. I do see a parallel between the Big 12 today and the SWC of years ago. The SWC became unsustainable after Arkansas left with Texas and A&M propping up the SWC. Now, its Texas and OU propping up the Big 12.
                            Texas is the top-earning athletic program in the country. OU is #7.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

You are kidding yourself.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              Texas is the top-earning athletic program in the country. OU is #7.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

You are kidding yourself.
                              That won't be the case when TV contracts expire in the next 4-6 years. That is when any conference realignment will occur.

Comment

• I’ve got to say, I’m proud of everyone for not rushing to judgment on the most recent “BYU is a lock for Big12” rumors being generated by a BYU fan posing as a journalist. You’ve learnt.
                                Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Working...
                                X