The Big 12 expansion groundswell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
    The "have to be a champion of a conference before you are champion of the country" is a good one. Keep preaching Brother Dantonio.
    That's why Alabama shouldn't have been allowed to play LSU for the national title after LSU beat them a few years ago.
    Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

• Financial Winners from Conference Realignment

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...gin-take-shape

Yet the Utah athletic department hasn't yet joined the ranks of the about two-dozen schools that are self-sustaining -- at least on paper. Utah relies on about $10 million from student fees and university support to break even, and that's something Hill doesn't see changing in the near future.
      It borrowed an additional $7 million from the university and issued bonds to borrow $16 million to help support its transition to the Pac-12.
      That means to be in a power conference you have to look and act like you belong, and can compete, in a power conference. At Utah, that meant increasing the investment in facilities, academic advisers, strength trainers and other trappings of a big-time athletic program. It meant turning a planned $16 million football facility into a $32 million football stadium and relying on donations and loans to build a $25 million basketball arena.
      What are the references to the football and basketball venues? Are the Utes building something new?
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
        Financial Winners from Conference Realignment

What are the references to the football and basketball venues? Are the Utes building something new?
        Matching door handles don't come cheap!
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Financial Winners from Conference Realignment

32 million would build a pretty crappy football stadium.

Comment

Maybe a new door handle to the Arena?

Oops, low hanging fruit I guess.
            "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

• I could be mistaken, but as I understand it there is a bit of a shell game going on at many (all?) universities when they say they are operating at a loss. Athletic Departments must "reimburse" the University for the full cost of all athletic scholarships. The result is that universities get an infusion of cash money while athletic departments then say "we are operating at a loss" (but not really) so they can justify their donation requests and high ticket prices.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crockett View Post
                I could be mistaken, but as I understand it there is a bit of a shell game going on at many (all?) universities when they say they are operating at a loss. Athletic Departments must "reimburse" the University for the full cost of all athletic scholarships. The result is that universities get an infusion of cash money while athletic departments then say "we are operating at a loss" (but not really) so they can justify their donation requests and high ticket prices.
                Seems right to me. Expense matching revenue and all.

That article is interesting insight into the U's program and mentality. Hill's got some balls to start spending like he has a Pac 10 budget before he actually has it, and good support from the President and other benefactors in order to pull it off. His story line about how he was required to spend money to be a Pac 10 school is BS, but it appears he got the important people to buy into it. And wow, an increase of budget from $4M to $23M just from the conference. I bet they get another $10M from other revenue sources from the move. I think our total budget is $30M, and that's up from MWC days.

Comment

• byu doesnt have some of the same looming cap ex projects that Utah has. BYU already has a modern indoor football practice facility, a large football stadium, the most attended womens soccer stadium in the country, a modern baseball/softball complex, etc. Utah had or has to build or update many of these things. I think the one thing BYU allegedly needs is the basketball practice facility.
                  Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                    Seems right to me. Expense matching revenue and all.

That article is interesting insight into the U's program and mentality. Hill's got some balls to start spending like he has a Pac 10 budget before he actually has it, and good support from the President and other benefactors in order to pull it off. His story line about how he was required to spend money to be a Pac 10 school is BS, but it appears he got the important people to buy into it. And wow, an increase of budget from $4M to $23M just from the conference. I bet they get another $10M from other revenue sources from the move. I think our total budget is $30M, and that's up from MWC days.
                    Looks like we're at $54M revenue.

source

Comment

• Originally posted by SCcoug View Post

source
                      The same source says Utah's revenue is $52M

Comment

• [QUOTE=SCcoug;1134686]Looks like we're at $54M revenue.

Wow, that's a huge change. I couldn't click on the link, though. Can you repost?

Comment

• [QUOTE=jay santos;1134694]
                          Originally posted by SCcoug View Post

Wow, that's a huge change. I couldn't click on the link, though. Can you repost?
                          I'm interested. We're a private university, so our numbers are not public, and you only get anything on this when Holmoe offers it up in a media interview or something.

Comment

• [QUOTE=jay santos;1134694]
                            Originally posted by SCcoug View Post

You can do a search from here.

http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/GetOneInstitutionData.aspx

Comment

• The Utah quote was referencing their new basketball practice facility.
                              "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

• [QUOTE=SCcoug;1134699]
                                Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                                I wonder what the not allocated expense/revenue of about $16M is. Interesting numbers.

Comment

Working...
                                X