X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    Not as much of a question as a rant.

Q!@#%$# rusted bolts!

So with the missus away at girl's camp, I decided to change out the struts in her Pilot. You would not believe the rust on all the bolts. I ended up cutting out the sway bar link on one side, and I'll have to do the same on the other side. It took excruciatingly long.

Now there are two large 24mm rusted strut bolts I have to get out. My cheap impact wrench from Harbor Freight wouldn't budge it even with the help of penetrating oil and a torch.

I should have just taken it to a shop, and probably will now, but I hate to have this thing defeat me. I guess for now I need to go put in a new sway bar link on the one side and consider my next move.
    Now that I'm back home, I decided to give it a shot. The PB Blaster didn't do much, but a new stronger impact wrench did. Mission accomplished.

Comment

My Kia Forte that I bought hoping it would last all the kids appears to be tits up before even one is done with it. I cannot figure out the problem. The engine rode really rough with the it having a hard time accelerating or shifting, but no codes were thrown. A couple you tube videos later an oil change seemed appropriate, so we went ahead with it. After the oil change it was still rough but I figured driving it around for a bit would help with any issues. They got worse and I coasted into my street unable to restart after it killed just before. The smell after it died was remaniscent of tranny problems I had in college, but no way to be sure and that shouldn't affect the car starting in the first place. Pretty frustrating.
      “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Copelius View Post
        My Kia Forte that I bought hoping it would last all the kids appears to be tits up before even one is done with it. I cannot figure out the problem. The engine rode really rough with the it having a hard time accelerating or shifting, but no codes were thrown. A couple you tube videos later an oil change seemed appropriate, so we went ahead with it. After the oil change it was still rough but I figured driving it around for a bit would help with any issues. They got worse and I coasted into my street unable to restart after it killed just before. The smell after it died was remaniscent of tranny problems I had in college, but no way to be sure and that shouldn't affect the car starting in the first place. Pretty frustrating.
        Doesn’t Kia have a 10 year warranty on power trains? If it’s your transmission I wonder if it’s covered.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post

Doesn’t Kia have a 10 year warranty on power trains? If it’s your transmission I wonder if it’s covered.
          I may have to check on that.

Just checked. The 10/100k converts to 5/60k upon transfer from first owner.
          Last edited by Copelius; 04-23-2022, 02:41 PM.
          “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

Have you checked/replaced the transmission fluid? Also, are you able to start it in neutral? Transmission problems in a Kia won't necessarily throw an engine code; the scanner also has to be able to read the TCU codes.

Comment

That's my thought as of now. I decided not to think about it for the weekend

Comment

That's my thought as of now. I decided not to think about it for the weekend
                Now that I've whined I suppose I ought to get a recommendation for a decent mechanic in Draper or south Sandy.

Comment

Now that I've whined I suppose I ought to get a recommendation for a decent mechanic in Draper or south Sandy.
                  not in draper or south sandy, but i know the owner of excel automotive on 33rd south and about 3rd east. a little far, but if you can get the car there, he'll take care of you.
                  I'm like LeBron James.
                  -mpfunk

Comment

Did you look at the oil they drained out? It's like reading the tea leaves (i.e., look for metal shavings). Running rough could mean you have thrown a bearing or something. That wouldn't trip a code, usually.

The good news is now you can get one of those $60,000 EVs and save the planet. I would get one of those with bidirectional charging...

OK, maybe not that one but a Ford F-150 lightening.
                    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Didn't really look. Mechanic says officially seized, and that Kia may have some kind of recall or extended warranty on it but they say they don't. It looks like I'm screwed on this one. It would cost more to replace the engine than the car.

Comment

Didn't really look. Mechanic says officially seized, and that Kia may have some kind of recall or extended warranty on it but they say they don't. It looks like I'm screwed on this one. It would cost more to replace the engine than the car.
                        Yeah, sounds like you lost a rod bearing or something. Beside the engine running rough the only thing that would have warned you of that would have been the engine running hot (from the additional friction) and maybe the oil pressure rapidly dropping off. Some oil change places will use a screen, if you ask them, when they drain the oil. Then show you what they find. On a high mileage car it is good to do this once in a while just to see if things are falling apart inside. If it is then it would be a good time to trade the car in and let the dealer send the car to auction. The option now is to call Kars for Kids or Wheels for Wishes and get a tax write off.
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Yep that is what I will be doing. Since it was the kid car, not a big loss. Not going to replace it.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

Did you look at the oil they drained out? It's like reading the tea leaves (i.e., look for metal shavings). Running rough could mean you have thrown a bearing or something. That wouldn't trip a code, usually.

The good news is now you can get one of those $60,000 EVs and save the planet. I would get one of those with bidirectional charging...

OK, maybe not that one but a Ford F-150 lightening.
                            I put a deposit down on an Ioniq 5. Should have it in 3-6 months according to the dealer. Super ugly car, but relatively cheap and has an 800V system. I think the Taycan is the only other one that does. With a 350 kW charging station, you can charge pretty quickly. I mostly plan on using it as a short range commuter car and plan to plug in at the office, but it is nice to have the option to take it on trips.

Comment

Originally posted by beefytee View Post

I put a deposit down on an Ioniq 5. Should have it in 3-6 months according to the dealer. Super ugly car, but relatively cheap and has an 800V system. I think the Taycan is the only other one that does. With a 350 kW charging station, you can charge pretty quickly. I mostly plan on using it as a short range commuter car and plan to plug in at the office, but it is nice to have the option to take it on trips.
                              I don't think it is that ugly, but I don't like the crease in the door panels.

Comment

Originally posted by beefytee View Post

Yeah, the 800V system would be nice. I think I read that it can do a 80% charge in just over 20 minutes.

My wife has a plug-in hybrid (PHEV). For the most part she can run errands around town on a charge (about 40 mile range) but it is nice to not have to worry about stopping to charge on long trips. We got the $7500 fed tax credit plus Texas gave us a check for $2500 for buying it. I installed a 50 amp charger in our garage and it charges it super quick.
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X