Results 1 to 29 of 29

Thread: I have my own auto question...

  1. #1
    Senior Member il Padrino Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Murray, Utah
    Posts
    19,204

    Default I have my own auto question...

    The radiator fan in my wife's van won't stop running for several minutes (as in 2-45) after the engine is turned off. Any idea what the heck would cause that? The engine was just recently serviced (2 weeks ago) and there was no problem.

    I had to pull the fuse out just to stop it.
    "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


    "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

  2. #2
    aka Benito Hazard thesaint258's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    My castle!
    Posts
    3,009

    Default

    You probably need an exorcist.
    Not that, sickos.

  3. #3
    Living in the Past ... FMCoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Satan's Bubble
    Posts
    6,789

    Default

    Do you have plenty of coolant? Also does your running temperature seem right? Could be a thermostat if not.

  4. #4
    Senior Member il Padrino Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Murray, Utah
    Posts
    19,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
    Do you have plenty of coolant? Also does your running temperature seem right? Could be a thermostat if not.
    Everything seems fine, as I had the van serviced a couple of weeks ago. It's just bizarre that the fan wouldn't stop running. Perhaps a short?
    "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


    "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

  5. #5

    Default

    A faulty temperature sensor? Most vehicles are designed for the fan to run even after you shut it down, but if you've got a bad temp sensor than it may not be reading correctly when to shut off.

  6. #6
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    32,900

    Default

    Check the relay.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  7. #7
    Senior Member il Padrino Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Murray, Utah
    Posts
    19,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    Check the relay.
    Quote Originally Posted by kccougar View Post
    A faulty temperature sensor? Most vehicles are designed for the fan to run even after you shut it down, but if you've got a bad temp sensor than it may not be reading correctly when to shut off.
    Good ideas. I'll do these a try in the morning.
    "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


    "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

  8. #8
    Never once baby snatched landpoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The navel of Heaven.
    Posts
    4,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
    Good ideas. I'll do these a try in the morning.
    Don't forget the ball bearings. It's all ball bearings nowadays.
    There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

    Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

    Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
    Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)

    Tomorrow is Saturday
    And Sunday comes afterwards

  9. #9
    Senior Member il Padrino Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Murray, Utah
    Posts
    19,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
    Don't forget the ball bearings. It's all ball bearings nowadays.
    I couldn't find any thirty weight bearings, so I kicked the tires a few times instead.

    As for the fan, I have no idea. The relay, temp sensor and thermostat were all okey dokey. I have a neighbor who is a semi-retired mechanic (he now does work here and there at his house) who can look at it for me, as doing the necessary work is now over my head.
    "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


    "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

  10. #10

    Default

    bump.

    Auto question here. I just had my tires rotated and balanced and the wheels aligned. My wheels are now making what I would describe as a whining noise. I called back the place and they said "oh didn't we tell you, you need new wheel bearings."

    My question is this: do wheel bearings make that sound, and if so, how pressing is the replacement. I'm scheduled to make a 300 mile round-trip drive over the next few days, and I'm wondering if this is something I should definitely take care of or if it can wait. any thoughts?
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  11. #11
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    32,900

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    bump.

    Auto question here. I just had my tires rotated and balanced and the wheels aligned. My wheels are now making what I would describe as a whining noise. I called back the place and they said "oh didn't we tell you, you need new wheel bearings."

    My question is this: do wheel bearings make that sound, and if so, how pressing is the replacement. I'm scheduled to make a 300 mile round-trip drive over the next few days, and I'm wondering if this is something I should definitely take care of or if it can wait. any thoughts?
    Rent a car. It's definitely something you don't want to drive on. You could lose the wheel and control of the car.

    I can't believe they didn't tell you.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  12. #12
    I ♥ gateway sex FN Phat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Surfah's Clan
    Posts
    8,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    I can't believe they didn't tell you.
    Jiffy-Lube
    I'm your huckleberry.


    "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FN Phat View Post
    Jiffy-Lube
    my last visit to jiffy lube ended with a cat converter so covered in oil my car looked like it was on fire for the day after. I had a friend whose plug wasn't in tight and his engine seized. I will never, ever go back. I'd even go to Walmart first.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  14. #14
    𐐐𐐄𐐢𐐆𐐤𐐝 𐐓𐐅 𐐜 𐐢𐐃𐐡𐐔 Uncle Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Where ∑ ★'s = 1
    Posts
    18,530

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    bump.

    Auto question here. I just had my tires rotated and balanced and the wheels aligned. My wheels are now making what I would describe as a whining noise. I called back the place and they said "oh didn't we tell you, you need new wheel bearings."

    My question is this: do wheel bearings make that sound, and if so, how pressing is the replacement. I'm scheduled to make a 300 mile round-trip drive over the next few days, and I'm wondering if this is something I should definitely take care of or if it can wait. any thoughts?
    How many miles you have on this car? Also, does it look like your lost your bearing seal? (i.e. greasy mess on the inside of your wheel)

    Bad news: you should take care of it especially if it is making a whining noise. Good news: front wheel bearings are usually pretty easy to change. Have them check your brakes and brakes rotors while they have your wheels/rotor off this time or better yet, just do it yourself:

    [YOUTUBE]Wuzycg01jpc[/YOUTUBE]
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "I never preached in Texas, but I have preached in places as wicked..." -Brigham Young.
    "If we do nothing we'll be substantially behind (other Power leagues) a decade from now." -Bob Bowlsby on Big 12 expansion.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FN Phat View Post
    Jiffy-Lube
    Big-O, actually. The service guy claimed he called me to let me know before I picked up the car. Um, no.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  16. #16
    Liberal Feminazi Pheidippides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    14,762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Big-O, actually. The service guy claimed he called me to let me know before I picked up the car. Um, no.
    When I was 16, my family piled into our van (a large Econoline) to go down to Disneyland. My dad had just had Big O change up the tires and such.

    I had just got my license so I got to drive for a bit. Just outside of Baker, CA, the car started shaking more than I thought was normal - or at least more than I was comfortable dealing with - so I turned the van back over to my dad. Who promptly agreed there was something wrong and took the exit to Baker...on the exit ramp for which our right front tire when bounding down the road without us.

    I wish I could say that Big O owned up to screwing up whatever it was we had to have fixed that they had screwed up (I've long since forgotten) but of course they didn't.
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

  17. #17
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    32,900

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nikuman View Post
    When I was 16, my family piled into our van (a large Econoline) to go down to Disneyland. My dad had just had Big O change up the tires and such.

    I had just got my license so I got to drive for a bit. Just outside of Baker, CA, the car started shaking more than I thought was normal - or at least more than I was comfortable dealing with - so I turned the van back over to my dad. Who promptly agreed there was something wrong and took the exit to Baker...on the exit ramp for which our right front tire when bounding down the road without us.

    I wish I could say that Big O owned up to screwing up whatever it was we had to have fixed that they had screwed up (I've long since forgotten) but of course they didn't.
    People love to get their car fixed/tuned up right before road trips. I highly advise against this. Obviously if it's something like a wheel bearing it needs to be fixed ASAP. But if your car is due for routine service like transmission, coolant, oil, etc. just wait until you get back.

    I worked at the Auto Spa in HS. Flystripper probably knows this place, but we were kind of a one stop shop that had everything. I worked at the quick lube place but next door was Big O and a full service car wash. I saw a couple cars come back on the back of a wrecker. Still I don't trust the dealer any more than I trust Jiffy Lube or Wal-Mart, at least for routine maintenance. The techs doing that kind of work at any of these places are equivalent from my experience.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  18. #18
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    20,248

    Default

    I find it interesting that everytime I take my car in for routine maintenance, without fail, two weeks later something goes out on the car.....hmmmmm
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  19. #19
    Liberal Feminazi Pheidippides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    14,762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    People love to get their car fixed/tuned up right before road trips. I highly advise against this. Obviously if it's something like a wheel bearing it needs to be fixed ASAP. But if your car is due for routine service like transmission, coolant, oil, etc. just wait until you get back.

    I worked at the Auto Spa in HS. Flystripper probably knows this place, but we were kind of a one stop shop that had everything. I worked at the quick lube place but next door was Big O and a full service car wash. I saw a couple cars come back on the back of a wrecker. Still I don't trust the dealer any more than I trust Jiffy Lube or Wal-Mart, at least for routine maintenance. The techs doing that kind of work at any of these places are equivalent from my experience.
    There is a reason why I do my own routine maintenance.
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

  20. #20
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    32,900

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nikuman View Post
    There is a reason why I do my own routine maintenance.
    It's not worth my time to do my own for routine stuff like oil. I just be sure to check everything after. But I do a lot of my own work otherwise like brakes.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  21. #21

    Default

    So I have done a little research on my own and I do not think the sound I am hearing is from a bad wheel bearing. The first thing that clued me off is that the sound was not happening before the tires were rotated. Why would rotating the tires be the straw that suddenly makes a bad wheel bearing audible? Additionally, the sound gets louder with acceleration and softer with deceleration. This shouldn't happen with a wheel bearing, per my research. Finally, the sound doesn't sound anything like the descriptions of a bad wheel bearing or any of the internet videos of bad wheel bearings.

    It sounds to me a lot more like the whining is from uneven tread wear. I'm going to swing back by and have the bearings checked by another technician while I watch.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  22. #22
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    32,900

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    So I have done a little research on my own and I do not think the sound I am hearing is from a bad wheel bearing. The first thing that clued me off is that the sound was not happening before the tires were rotated. Why would rotating the tires be the straw that suddenly makes a bad wheel bearing audible? Additionally, the sound gets louder with acceleration and softer with deceleration. This shouldn't happen with a wheel bearing, per my research. Finally, the sound doesn't sound anything like the descriptions of a bad wheel bearing or any of the internet videos of bad wheel bearings.

    It sounds to me a lot more like the whining is from uneven tread wear. I'm going to swing back by and have the bearings checked by another technician while I watch.
    This sounds silly, but check your tire treads for any rocks or something wedged in them. That could cause the very whine you're hearing.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  23. #23
    𐐐𐐄𐐢𐐆𐐤𐐝 𐐓𐐅 𐐜 𐐢𐐃𐐡𐐔 Uncle Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Where ∑ ★'s = 1
    Posts
    18,530

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    So I have done a little research on my own and I do not think the sound I am hearing is from a bad wheel bearing. The first thing that clued me off is that the sound was not happening before the tires were rotated. Why would rotating the tires be the straw that suddenly makes a bad wheel bearing audible? Additionally, the sound gets louder with acceleration and softer with deceleration. This shouldn't happen with a wheel bearing, per my research. Finally, the sound doesn't sound anything like the descriptions of a bad wheel bearing or any of the internet videos of bad wheel bearings.

    It sounds to me a lot more like the whining is from uneven tread wear. I'm going to swing back by and have the bearings checked by another technician while I watch.
    Do you have a full-time ("all-time") four wheel drive? If so, did you do a five tire rotation (rotated your spare in)? If so, this could be the case. With full-time four wheel drive cars you really should only do a four tire rotation.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "I never preached in Texas, but I have preached in places as wicked..." -Brigham Young.
    "If we do nothing we'll be substantially behind (other Power leagues) a decade from now." -Bob Bowlsby on Big 12 expansion.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  24. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Do you have a full-time ("all-time") four wheel drive? If so, did you do a five tire rotation (rotated your spare in)? If so, this could be the case. With full-time four wheel drive cars you really should only do a four tire rotation.
    Not an AWD. And my spare is a donut (naturally).
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  25. #25
    Members Only Dwight Schr-ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    4,583

    Default I have my own auto question...

    Had a car issue earlier this week that has left me a bit perplexed that I hope someone can offer me some insight.

    I was waiting for my daughter's swim practice to finish. Sitting in the parking lot in park with the engine running so the boys could watch their movie. We had been parked for no more than 10 minutes when the van suddenly died. No signs of overheating, plenty of gas, relatively new battery. Tried to restart the car and there was no juice. Just clicks. Just before the car died, my phone, which was plugged into the charger, buzzed twice, as if it had just been plugged in, so it seemed there was a drop in the electrical just before the engine died. Once practice finished, I was able to get a jump and made it home. That was Tuesday. The car has started without a problem several times a day, every day since.

    When telling my wife what had happened, she mentioned that something similar had happened a couple of months ago. She when to take something to a friend and ended up talking to her on the front porch for about twenty minutes while my three year old slept in his car seat. She came back to the car to realize the battery was dead. She assumed that she had turned the engine off while leaving the movie playing. She jumped the battery and didn't think anything about it. But after hearing this, she's now sure that she had left the engine running and it died while running.

    Does this sound like my alternator is bad/going bad? I've got a mechanic that will come to me for pretty straight forward repairs, but I feel like I need to have a clear idea of the problem before I call him. Any other theories out there? For the record, I've checked the connections for any corrosion/poor connection issues and didn't see any problems.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dwight Schr-ute; 04-07-2017 at 11:07 AM.
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

  26. #26
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    20,248

    Default

    If the alternator is bad, you probably wouldn't be able to start t again without charging the battery first. Is the battery possibly faulty? Have you taken the connections off the battery and cleaned them?

    If it were me, I wouldn't take it to a mechanic. I'd just go trade it in for a truck


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  27. #27

    Default

    The DS-Moliere rivalry is really shaping up...

  28. #28
    Members Only Dwight Schr-ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    4,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    If it were me, I wouldn't take it to a mechanic. I'd just go trade it in for a truck


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well, that route would definitely secure my death before Pres. Monson, so a Moliere win-win.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

  29. #29
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    27,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    If the alternator is bad, you probably wouldn't be able to start t again without charging the battery first. Is the battery possibly faulty? Have you taken the connections off the battery and cleaned them?

    If it were me, I wouldn't take it to a mechanic. I'd just go trade it in for a truck


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lol at all those Texas Mormon women cramming their 8 kids into the xtra cab.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •