Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 185

Thread: Banning/Suspending Posters

  1. #1
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    46,216

    Default Banning/Suspending Posters

    The CUF Committee has been debating whether to implement a procedure for banning and/or suspending posters. We have discussed various options ranging from a community-wide voting process to oversight by a single "banning czar". In the end we did not come to a consensus and (to be honest) we got a little bored with the topic. We have decided that the committee will handle banning/suspensions on a case-by-case basis. Banning/suspension will only occur when there is clear evidence that a poster is engaging in conduct "detrimental to the community". We expect that banning will be an extremely rare event. If you struggle with certain posters, we encourage you to use the ignore feature.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    The CUF Committee has been debating whether to implement a procedure for banning and/or suspending posters. We have discussed various options ranging from a community-wide voting process to oversight by a single "banning czar". In the end we did not come to a consensus and (to be honest) we got a little bored with the topic. We have decided that the committee will handle banning/suspensions on a case-by-case basis. Banning/suspension will only occur when there is clear evidence that a poster is engaging in conduct "detrimental to the community". We expect that banning will be an extremely rare event. If you struggle with certain posters, we encourage you to use the ignore feature.
    Ignored.

  3. #3
    Ragnar Lodbrok Descendant SoCalCoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, California
    Posts
    5,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    The CUF Committee has been debating whether to implement a procedure for banning and/or suspending posters. We have discussed various options ranging from a community-wide voting process to oversight by a single "banning czar". In the end we did not come to a consensus and (to be honest) we got a little bored with the topic. We have decided that the committee will handle banning/suspensions on a case-by-case basis. Banning/suspension will only occur when there is clear evidence that a poster is engaging in conduct "detrimental to the community". We expect that banning will be an extremely rare event. If you struggle with certain posters, we encourage you to use the ignore feature.
    Everyone knows we have an "ignore" feature in our brains, right? The one where we don't pay attention to people or things that annoy us?

    I've never used the "ignore" feature on any board, except for once. Ironically, it was against exUte for a day - he was making so many posts it was difficult to sort out everyone else's from his.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,543

    Default

    OK, so poor JL got banned. I have no idea why, and I'm not posting here to defend or defame poor JL, or to decry the decision. I believe that communities are served by openness and discussion, so EC members, what is the story?

  5. #5
    Golf & Cubs Disrespecter beelzebabette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Salt Lake Valley
    Posts
    2,916

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobinFinderson View Post
    EC members, what is the story?
    We've been discussing, you know, in between attacks of employment and all.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,543

    Default

    OK, so someone PM'd me and told me that JL had been mocking a fellow CUF person's physical appearance. I think a bit of that can be tolerated, especially if the ribbing is done in good humor, and if it is received in good humor. But this was clearly not the case. If this accurately describes the reason for Lingo's ban, then I support it. CUF members should not have to endure public ridicule of their physical appearance in a 'friendly' community, and I appreciate attempts by the EC to keep the tone of this place 'friendly.'

  7. #7
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    58,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobinFinderson View Post
    OK, so someone PM'd me and told me that JL had been mocking a fellow CUF person's physical appearance. I think a bit of that can be tolerated, especially if the ribbing is done in good humor, and if it is received in good humor. But this was clearly not the case. If this accurately describes the reason for Lingo's ban, then I support it. CUF members should not have to endure public ridicule of their physical appearance in a 'friendly' community, and I appreciate attempts by the EC to keep the tone of this place 'friendly.'
    I am not on the EC, btw, but everything that went down with JohnnyLingo was in the public domain (his misdeeds, specifically). There shouldn't be a need to rehash everything that was already once public.

    Like any other current event....sometimes you are there, sometimes you miss it.

    I would suggest next time that a PM be sent to a fellow Cuffer, rather than a public call for an explanation.

    I know of no message boards that offer explanations for board discipline.

    just a thought.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobinFinderson View Post
    OK, so someone PM'd me and told me that JL had been mocking a fellow CUF person's physical appearance. I think a bit of that can be tolerated, especially if the ribbing is done in good humor, and if it is received in good humor. But this was clearly not the case. If this accurately describes the reason for Lingo's ban, then I support it. CUF members should not have to endure public ridicule of their physical appearance in a 'friendly' community, and I appreciate attempts by the EC to keep the tone of this place 'friendly.'
    Robin,

    It's not generally kosher to share publicly the contents of PMs.

    Let the committee deal with the current lingo spamfest, and I'm sure they'll apprise the board of the situation, to whatever degree is necessary and appropriate.

    Also bear in mind that the board is yet young and the details of behavioral expectations and discipline procedures are still being ironed out.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    I am not on the EC, btw, but everything that went down with JohnnyLingo was in the public domain (his misdeeds, specifically). There shouldn't be a need to rehash everything that was already once public.

    Like any other current event....sometimes you are there, sometimes you miss it.

    I would suggest next time that a PM be sent to a fellow Cuffer, rather than a public call for an explanation.

    I know of no message boards that offer explanations for board discipline.

    just a thought.
    I think I saw a bit of the public exchange. Not much, since I don't seek out Lingo posts. If the root of the problem runs deeper than what I saw, then the ban makes a lot of sense. I think CUF needs to be a safe place to share one's POV, and I appreciate when people feel comfortable enough to give up a bit of their anonymity for the sake of making this place more interesting. If Lingo abused a poster's openness, then he deserves a ban. I'm also hoping that Hallelujah will do something similar.

    As for whether or not such a choice should be hashed out in public or private is a different matter. The choice is obviously up to the EC, but the ramifications of any ban affect all of us, and are therefore worthy of public discussion. Obviously that discussion isn't going to happen if no one else engages it, and that is fine by me, but I think we just disagree about whether or not the banishment of community members is worthy of public discussion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    Robin,

    It's not generally kosher to share publicly the contents of PMs.

    Let the committee deal with the current lingo spamfest, and I'm sure they'll apprise the board of the situation, to whatever degree is necessary and appropriate.

    Also bear in mind that the board is yet young and the details of behavioral expectations and discipline procedures are still being ironed out.
    The custom of sharing publicly the contents of PM's is one that I support. I left many details of the PM out of my public post, and I hope that the PMer doesn't consider it a breach of confidence. If the PMer feels differently, I would hope s/he would let me know.

    Yes, the board is young, and for the most part I have greatly appreciated the efforts by the EC to create a friendly civil tone. I think the only place where I disagree with anyone here is over whether or not banning members is worthy of public discussion.
    Last edited by RobinFinderson; 10-20-2009 at 11:49 AM.

  10. #10
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    58,325

    Default

    You of all people know full well.....if you behave in a manner that is civil and endear yourself to the community, you can probably expect to live a long, fruitful existence.

    If you misbehave and act poorly against the community, esp repeatedly, there is no community to call your own.

    There will likely never be a day when we all sit down and plot the course of our collective future. This isn't a democracy. It is a republic. Soliciting the inputs of every member seems impractical and unnecessary.

    these are my own opinions, btw. I am not speaking for the Executive Committee.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  11. #11
    Liberal Feminazi Pheidippides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    14,762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    There will likely never be a day when we all sit down and plot the course of our collective future. This isn't a democracy. It is a republic. Soliciting the inputs of every member seems impractical and unnecessary.

    these are my own opinions, btw. I am not speaking for the Executive Committee.
    I agree with this (especially the last part). However, I do think a brief statement of "poster X was given a suspension for Y days because of Z infraction" helps to foster good will among those of us who are not involved. I recognize this is not common practice in other forums and would be impractical in a place where we have more posters or penalties. I view "the Rules" here as sort of a common law developed to deal with unique situations, and a statement of judgment from the Judges is helpful.

  12. #12
    RIP CUF DU Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Holladay
    Posts
    7,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobinFinderson View Post
    OK, so someone PM'd me and told me that JL had been mocking a fellow CUF person's physical appearance. I think a bit of that can be tolerated, especially if the ribbing is done in good humor, and if it is received in good humor. But this was clearly not the case. If this accurately describes the reason for Lingo's ban, then I support it. CUF members should not have to endure public ridicule of their physical appearance in a 'friendly' community, and I appreciate attempts by the EC to keep the tone of this place 'friendly.'
    Does this mean we can no longer mock the pictures of you from Burning Man?
    "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
    "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
    "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,273

    Default

    FWIW, Lingo did not have any knowledge of what went down a few months ago in the Lemons --> Lemonade thread, which took place on a floor of the temple that he does not have access to. So I hope that the earlier incident was not used as justification to give him the boot.

  14. #14
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    58,325

    Default

    JohnnyLingo was banned for the image. He made a dupe account. he was banned for that. he made a second dupe account to post again. Banned again.

    Adios, JohnnyLingo.

    Seems like his punishment was made infinitely worse for his subsequent actions, not his initial infraction.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  15. #15
    RIP CUF DU Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Holladay
    Posts
    7,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    JohnnyLingo was banned for the image. He made a dupe account. he was banned for that. he made a second dupe account to post again. Banned again.

    Adios, JohnnyLingo.

    Seems like his punishment was made infinitely worse for his subsequent actions, not his initial infraction.
    Is he gone for good. Is this one of those 36,500 day CB bans?
    "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
    "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
    "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

  16. #16
    Liberal Feminazi Pheidippides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    14,762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    JohnnyLingo was banned for the image. He made a dupe account. he was banned for that. he made a second dupe account to post again. Banned again.

    Adios, JohnnyLingo.

    Seems like his punishment was made infinitely worse for his subsequent actions, not his initial infraction.
    Isn't that the way it always is? You go upriver for 1-3 for getting caught with too many dime bags and end up spending the rest of your life for sticking a shiv in some guy's ribs in the shower.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lingo Returns View Post
    Want to know why I am making dupe accounts?

    Because there was no discussion before the ban.

    There was no discussion after the ban.

    No one on the EC has even tried to talk to me. Lebowski won't respond to my e-mail. This is the ONLY way I have to make my voice heard on the matter.

    On CB you can at least post an appeal and know the mods are reading it. Here I might as well have been banned by a ghost.

    Is this how you want bannings to go? Dragging posters from their homes in the middle of the night and tossing them into a cell without so much as a "hey there, you're banned"?

    If that's what the community wants, then fine.

    It just seems shady to me.
    yep. nightmare.

  18. #18
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    58,325

    Default

    LOL!

    This is FAN-tastic.

    Wonderful theater.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  19. #19
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    58,325

    Default

    btw folks, please let the record show that until the very bitter end, JohnnyLingo was still reading and responding to my posts....even from the grave!
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  20. #20
    Liberal Feminazi Pheidippides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    14,762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    yep. nightmare.
    In his defense, I did raise the prospect of dragging him from his home in the middle of the night. So at least that bit of paranoia is accurate.

    Other than that, though, I'm not sure (speaking generically) why people should care that much about being banned from somewhere. It's not like this site comprises 90% of the interwebs or something.

  21. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lingo Returns View Post
    Babs, you don't like me. Don't pretend to be some impartial judge here.
    Whether I like you is independent of my opinion of the committee's action and your response. I have not commented on the decision, nor do I plan to.

    I have noted, though, that posters like JohnnyLingo are an admin's nightmare once suspended, because they're utterly relentless in their determination to make themselves heard.

  22. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    btw folks, please let the record show that until the very bitter end, JohnnyLingo was still reading and responding to my posts....even from the grave!
    That does it! You're just so full of yourself!! I'm so putting you on my ignore list.

  23. #23
    CS Institutional Memory Jarid in Cedar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Up on western high
    Posts
    12,891

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lingo Returns View Post
    Because this is a community. That means something to guys like Robin.



    Huh. Looks like I was wrong.
    Johnnylingo.....starring in.....

    [YOUTUBE]IYpeKbHKVbU[/YOUTUBE]
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

    "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

    "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

    -Rick Majerus

  24. #24
    Liberal Feminazi Pheidippides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    14,762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    I have noted, though, that posters like JohnnyLingo are an admin's nightmare once suspended, because they're utterly relentless in their determination to make themselves heard.
    We talked about this phenomenon in law school. It is the same thing as the outraged plaintiff who refuses to settle or pursues a dubious case because they want to be heard in court. They want justice, dammit, no matter what the cost!

    Frankly, I am slightly more scared of the Easter Bunny than I am of Lebowski and the rest of the EC showing up at my virtual house to have a cyber blanket party.

  25. #25
    Senior Member byu71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    22,124

    Default

    I guess he really doesn't get it. I really wasn't sure, but it is evident now. Even if you get a suspension for a bogus reason, you don't then go give the jurors a chance to hang you for a legitimate reason.

    I would have respected him so much more if he had just said, frick you guys, see you when the suspension is over.

  26. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,273

    Default

    Later tonight the dude goes home to find his rug missing and a funny smell in the kitchen....


  27. #27
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    58,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    That does it! You're just so full of yourself!! I'm so putting you on my ignore list.
    That seems shady to me.

    I might as well have been ignored by a ghost.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  28. #28
    RIP CUF DU Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Holladay
    Posts
    7,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nikuman View Post
    We talked about this phenomenon in law school. It is the same thing as the outraged plaintiff who refuses to settle or pursues a dubious case because they want to be heard in court. They want justice, dammit, no matter what the cost!

    Frankly, I am slightly more scared of the Easter Bunny than I am of Lebowski and the rest of the EC showing up at my virtual house to have a cyber blanket party.
    Lingo being virtually dragged from his bed and beaten is just another in a long list of persecutions heaped on Church members in these latter days. Lingo's suffering while wandering in the dreary, CUFless cyber-wilderness will certainly bring him closer to the pioneers and other early Saints. This whole experience may even turn out to be testimony worthy.
    "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
    "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
    "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

  29. #29
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    58,325

    Default

    Does anyone remember this El Debarge tune from Short Circuit?

    [YOUTUBE]6jaWPQ3Z7FE[/YOUTUBE]
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  30. #30
    CS Institutional Memory Jarid in Cedar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Up on western high
    Posts
    12,891

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nikuman View Post

    Frankly, I am slightly more scared of the Easter Bunny than I am of Lebowski and the rest of the EC showing up at my virtual house to have a cyber blanket party.
    As you should be!!

    [YOUTUBE]99X8WDQWAKg[/YOUTUBE]
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

    "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

    "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

    -Rick Majerus

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •