So what is up with the Amazon Kindle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what is up with the Amazon Kindle?

This has got to be one of the most ballyhooed inventions that I have never seen. Has anyone used one that can comment on whether or not it is as cool as Jeff Bezos thinks? Or is it more akin to the Segway, something that was touted to be a world changer, but ended up being not much more than a security guard platform for tubbies.

Amazon just came out with the Kindle2, lighter, more memeory, and now with the ability to read text to you. Battery life, with the 3G feature turned off, is about week for a heavy reader (2 weeks for causal reading). Text size is adjustable, for some of our more mature readers.

Everything about it sounds really cool except for the price. At $350, that is a LOT of traditional books to buy in its place... still there is something nice about the idea of packing this for a solo camping trip, hiking into the heart of some wilderness and catching up on all of the lagging reading for a few days.

No one has seen one of these in person? I have been curious about legibility in different lighting conditions ever since the first version came out, but haven't been able to see one in person.

Comment

Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
      Amazon just came out with the Kindle2, lighter, more memeory, and now with the ability to read text to you. Battery life, with the 3G feature turned off, is about week for a heavy reader (2 weeks for causal reading). Text size is adjustable, for some of our more mature readers.

Everything about it sounds really cool except for the price. At $350, that is a LOT of traditional books to buy in its place... still there is something nice about the idea of packing this for a solo camping trip, hiking into the heart of some wilderness and catching up on all of the lagging reading for a few days.

No one has seen one of these in person? I have been curious about legibility in different lighting conditions ever since the first version came out, but haven't been able to see one in person.

A lady sitting next to me on a plane last week had one. She raved on and on about it. I looked into it but everything is so damn expensive.
      "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

I have tried the e-book route, but I don't like it. This in spite of the fact that I am normally a gadget nut. I guess I just like the feel of a book in my hands. And I can buy a lot of paper books for $350.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I've never seen one though I like the idea, but I also like having a physical book. I may never read a particular book again, but I have it up there on the shelf for all to see. A sort of trophy/pride thing that can't be replicated by showing someone a list of saved electronic books.
          Last edited by landpoke; 02-09-2009, 08:39 AM.
          There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
          Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)

Tomorrow is Saturday
          And Sunday comes afterwards

Comment

Oh, I've seen one. I have two friends that have Kindles, and both of them swear by it. I've played with it for a day, and it really is a great device. The only reason I didn't buy one for myself for Christmas was because I still like the feel of a book in my hand, and also because the built-in Whispernet service is not currently available in Japan. I didn't want to have to get rid of it when I move in April.
            Visca Catalunya Lliure

Comment

I think it's bad ass. But like Landpoke, there is something satisfying about putting that book you finished on your shelf for all to see. Plus, I am more prone to lend someone my paperback than my $350 electronic gadget.
              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
              -Turtle
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                I think it's bad ass. But like Landpoke, there is something satisfying about putting that book you finished on your shelf for all to see. Plus, I am more prone to lend someone my paperback than my $350 electronic gadget.
                I agree that there are some definite advantages to books. For example, as we have learned from SU, you can drop a book in the toilet and it still works. But my trophy shelf is full (I have boxes of books in a tent in the back yard), and I am at a point where I am considering liquidating my library via ebay just to make space in the house... so the idea of having all of my books in my backpack is appealing. And to be fair, the $350 covers a lifetime of access to a pile of free online content.

Reading Cormac McCarthy with the built-in dictionary would be way better than a traditional book. I wonder what kind of copy protection they have on the content.

Comment

I agree that there are some definite advantages to books. For example, as we have learned from SU, you can drop a book in the toilet and it still works. But my trophy shelf is full (I have boxes of books in a tent in the back yard), and I am at a point where I am considering liquidating my library via ebay just to make space in the house... so the idea of having all of my books in my backpack is appealing. And to be fair, the $350 covers a lifetime of access to a pile of free online content.

Reading Cormac McCarthy with the built-in dictionary would be way better than a traditional book. I wonder what kind of copy protection they have on the content.
                  No I am certainly with you on that. Like I said, I think it's bad ass and if I had the money to burn I'd love one. Until then the library card will have to suffice.
                  "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                  -Turtle
                  sigpic

Comment

One concern I have with electronic media.....

Growing up, I have distinct memories of seeing my dad sit in a chair and read the newspaper. My parents and older siblings read books. As a small kid, I thought it would be cool to be old enough to emulate everyone else and finally be able to read a paper. I can remember being so young that it was impossible to even hold a newspaper properly, let alone fold it up correctly afterwards. I started small with comics and then worked my way up from there. In short, seeing my parents and older sibs reading these things made me want to do it, as well.

These days, my kids see my looking at a computer screen. They don't know if I am sending an email, reading the news, posting on CUF, looking up a recipe, checking the weather, or watching a BYU game online. I worry that some of the positive influence of seeing others reading newspapers, magazines, etc....is lost by cramming it all onto one machine.
                    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                      One concern I have with electronic media.....

Growing up, I have distinct memories of seeing my dad sit in a chair and read the newspaper. My parents and older siblings read books. As a small kid, I thought it would be cool to be old enough to emulate everyone else and finally be able to read a paper. I can remember being so young that it was impossible to even hold a newspaper properly, let alone fold it up correctly afterwards. I started small with comics and then worked my way up from there. In short, seeing my parents and older sibs reading these things made me want to do it, as well.

These days, my kids see my looking at a computer screen. They don't know if I am sending an email, reading the news, posting on CUF, looking up a recipe, checking the weather, or watching a BYU game online. I worry that some of the positive influence of seeing others reading newspapers, magazines, etc....is lost by cramming it all onto one machine.

Bingo. Those bookshelves lined with books are also important for kids to see.
                      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

My MIL has one and thinks it is amazing. Anyone that didn't give her a gift idea for Christmas she got one for. I have looked at hers a few times, and think it is something I would never use. When reading I prefer to hold a book, call me old school. And all of the web features are things I can do easily on my phone or lap top, as I told my wife it is very unlikely that I will be somewhere with a kindle but not my phone or computer.
                        Get confident, stupid
                        -landpoke

Comment

Like many here, I tend to be an early adopter, but I'm not sold on the e-book thing for the reasons above-mentioned, particularly the goodness of holding a real book with pages. This reminds me of a blog post my oldest daughter put up several months ago (apologies to those who have read this, particularly since my posting it is a bit self-laudatory) which underscores the magic of a good book, and makes me question whether that's something an LCD can replicate.

I have a vivid recollection of sitting in my bed in my room when I was probably 8 or so, with Allison in her bed, my dad sitting on the carpet between us with his back against our dresser reading to us. My dad was (and is, I guess, though I don't suppose he reads them much any more) a big fan of the Treehorn books (look it up and do yourself a favor and read them - they're fantastic) and William Steig ("The Amazing Bone" is a bit frightening but totally awesome and the vocabulary is supernal). But the memory I most recall is of him cracking open "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe" from a beautiful boxed set that seemed to announce it was FOR BIG PEOPLE. I think I might have been 8 at the time? Or 7? I don't remember exactly, but I was young enough to be amused by saying "By Jove!" or using the word "bloody" until one day my dad explained the origins. But I digress. I would lay in bed there listening as he would read and envisioned all that Peter, Susan, Lucy and that awful Edmund were going through. I think I cried when (spoiler!) Aslan lets the Witch kill him. And I felt very important when my dad later talked to me about the parallels between this book and Christianity (yes my dad really had these kinds of conversations with us, which is one reason why he is such a rock star). I felt like he had unlocked some secret treasure box or something.

As the years went on, I always had fond memories of this book. And so it was on my wedding day that during the luncheon for the wedding party, my dad presented me with a few books that played an important part in my formative years, one being a very beautiful copy, complete with illustrations, of that much cherished "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe."

Since then, it has sat quietly on my bookshelf, waiting for the day I would pull it down, crack it open, and begin to share these words with my own children. On my wedding day, that day seemed ages away. But today I finished chapter 9 with Ainsleigh. At first I wondered if she understood what was going on. But as I would stop periodically to ask her what she thought, she was RIGHT THERE with me. Did she have any idea where Edmund went while his siblings were talking to the beavers? "To the White Witch," she whispered. Good girl. And as I placed the bookmark between the pages and closed the book while climbing off of her bed, she began to plead, "Please just one more chapter." No, I explained, she needed to get to sleep. And this would give her something to look forward to the next day. Then I said, "I'm glad you like the book." She looked a little wistful toward the book now resting on her dresser and said mournfully, "No. I *love* it."

Years ago, after my dad would close the book and turn out the light, I would lay in bed and think about how one day I would be the one reading to a child in bed. And I would wonder what that would be like. Little does Ainsleigh know she not only fulfilled, but surpassed, that dream. Thanks, little lady.

P.S. Read to your kids, whether it's from book or a box.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                            Like many here, I tend to be an early adopter, but I'm not sold on the e-book thing for the reasons above-mentioned, particularly the goodness of holding a real book with pages. This reminds me of a blog post my oldest daughter put up several months ago (apologies to those who have read this, particularly since my posting it is a bit self-laudatory) which underscores the magic of a good book, and makes me question whether that's something an LCD can replicate.

I have a vivid recollection of sitting in my bed in my room when I was probably 8 or so, with Allison in her bed, my dad sitting on the carpet between us with his back against our dresser reading to us. My dad was (and is, I guess, though I don't suppose he reads them much any more) a big fan of the Treehorn books (look it up and do yourself a favor and read them - they're fantastic) and William Steig ("The Amazing Bone" is a bit frightening but totally awesome and the vocabulary is supernal). But the memory I most recall is of him cracking open "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe" from a beautiful boxed set that seemed to announce it was FOR BIG PEOPLE. I think I might have been 8 at the time? Or 7? I don't remember exactly, but I was young enough to be amused by saying "By Jove!" or using the word "bloody" until one day my dad explained the origins. But I digress. I would lay in bed there listening as he would read and envisioned all that Peter, Susan, Lucy and that awful Edmund were going through. I think I cried when (spoiler!) Aslan lets the Witch kill him. And I felt very important when my dad later talked to me about the parallels between this book and Christianity (yes my dad really had these kinds of conversations with us, which is one reason why he is such a rock star). I felt like he had unlocked some secret treasure box or something.

As the years went on, I always had fond memories of this book. And so it was on my wedding day that during the luncheon for the wedding party, my dad presented me with a few books that played an important part in my formative years, one being a very beautiful copy, complete with illustrations, of that much cherished "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe."

Since then, it has sat quietly on my bookshelf, waiting for the day I would pull it down, crack it open, and begin to share these words with my own children. On my wedding day, that day seemed ages away. But today I finished chapter 9 with Ainsleigh. At first I wondered if she understood what was going on. But as I would stop periodically to ask her what she thought, she was RIGHT THERE with me. Did she have any idea where Edmund went while his siblings were talking to the beavers? "To the White Witch," she whispered. Good girl. And as I placed the bookmark between the pages and closed the book while climbing off of her bed, she began to plead, "Please just one more chapter." No, I explained, she needed to get to sleep. And this would give her something to look forward to the next day. Then I said, "I'm glad you like the book." She looked a little wistful toward the book now resting on her dresser and said mournfully, "No. I *love* it."

Years ago, after my dad would close the book and turn out the light, I would lay in bed and think about how one day I would be the one reading to a child in bed. And I would wonder what that would be like. Little does Ainsleigh know she not only fulfilled, but surpassed, that dream. Thanks, little lady.

P.S. Read to your kids, whether it's from book or a box.

I am jealous. After talking to my kids about the parallels between christianity and the Lion, etc., book, my oldest said nothing, hoping to soon be released from the gathering, my daughter rolled her eyes and complained about me killing a good story, and my youngest asked me if he could go outside and play.

In fact, on thinking about it, are you sure you didn't write the blog entry yourself?
                            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

I tried one for a month. They had an offer that you'd get a full refund if you returned it within a month. I liked having several different books on one device. The eink technology is pretty cool too. You can read it indoors or out. It's not backlit so if it's dark, you'll need a lamp.

I returned mine because I didn't think I was using it enough to warrant shelling out $350. If I were in a city where I used public transportation a lot, I think I would've kept it. If Amazon would ever actually drop the price, I'd probably buy it again.
                              Not that, sickos.

Comment

Working...
                              X