LDS Garments: Why I Want Out of This Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
    You're still not getting it. If you look at all of the possible definitions for the verb "distribute" given by dictionary.com (which is really a poor online dictionary, btw, but I'll let wuap take you to task on that) there are two that apply to this usage. I've bolded them below.

In #3 it is clear that it is talking about a product that was manufactured by someone and then purchased by a consumer. This is likely the definition that would apply to what the HBOI intended, as the church controls the manufacture, distribution, and sale of authorized garments. This website isn't making or selling garments.

#4 is more generic, which is likely why you chose it, but it still implies that the item is being distributed is delivered to someone who takes ownership of it only upon delivery, not before. That's not the case here

Both of these definitions (one explicitly and the other implicitly) describe action distributing as delivering an item to its new owner. That is not what is happening with this makeyourowngarment.com site. They are accepting articles of clothing that have been purchased by someone else, altering them as requested by the owners, and RETURNING them to the owners. Does a tailor distribute? What about a dry cleaner? No, they do not, and neither does this website.

Finally, I have looked up "distribute" at the Corpus of Historical American English (website below) and while I only looked at the examples cited since 2000, I can find no instances where the verb "distribute" is used in the generic sense of #4. In other words, the definition that you propose (poorly, I might add) as the end all for what that clause of the HBOI means is simply not a common usage for the word.

As for your opinion of the HBOI and its status as a legal document, other than disagreeing with you, I'll not comment on. That's a different story.

http://corpus.byu.edu/coha/

There is nothing in the definition that implies anything about ownership. The word "distribute" is used in the 4th definition sense all the time. When a teacher hands out previously turned in homework assignments with grades, is she handing out something that the student didn't previous own? And yet ... it would not be unusual to talk about that activity in terms of "distribution" at all. Your conclusory statement that a tailor or a dry cleaner does not distribute anything is just a conclusory statement ... it isn't an argument. And I don't think that conclusion is anywhere close to as obvious as you claims it is.

There is nothing in the fourth definition that would even suggest that ownership is an element of distribution, let alone that the term requires a lack of previous ownership. That is something you pulled out of thin air.

And I very highly doubt that you looked at all the uses of the word "distribute" since 2000 that are cited in the corpus as you claim. If you did, I feel sorry for you given the relatively meaningless nature of this conversation.
    Last edited by UVACoug; 05-05-2013, 03:35 PM.

Comment

• I propose that, instead of the maelstrom-like discussion of the word "distribution," you all try to articulate syllogisms.
      We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
        I propose that, instead of the maelstrom-like discussion of the word "distribution," you all try to articulate syllogisms.
        Good idea.

God is the same today, yesterday and forever
        Garments today can only be distributed by Beehive Clothing
        Christ must have purchased his garments from Beehive Clothing
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
          Good idea.

God is the same today, yesterday and forever
          Garments today can only be distributed by Beehive Clothing
          Christ must have purchased his garments from Beehive Clothing
          I don't know when to take you seriously, misanthrope. YOhio's Gene Hackman thing throws me off too.
          We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

• A thoughtful piece on improvements that could be made to garments based on the most common complaints, as well as to the policies that can make it hard to wear garments. http://bycommonconsent.com/2013/05/1...wear-business/
            "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
              Why not just tattoo the marks on your body? I'd do that if it was authorized.
              I just want to say - as someone who is inexperienced and has no tattoos, for some reason I believe getting one's nipples tattooed would be painful.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
                A thoughtful piece on improvements that could be made to garments based on the most common complaints, as well as to the policies that can make it hard to wear garments. http://bycommonconsent.com/2013/05/1...wear-business/
                From the comment section:

Instead of “service with a smile” there seems to be a slogan something like “judgement with a smile” going on with a few of those good sisters.
                This, regarding the "Are you sure that is not going to be too small?" and the disapproving "Hmm..." when people are choosing sizes.

This comment was good, too:
                The TR question always seems disturbing and creepy to me. I’m just dying to tell the next person who interviews me for a TR “I’m sorry, I don’t feel comfortable discussing my underwear with a man I’m not married to.” I will probably never have the guts to actually say that, though, sadly, because I don’t want to make the interviewer uncomfortable, and I know he’s just asking the questions he was told to ask. But part of me knows that no one will ever hear those concerns unless it goes up the chain of command, and that means making a fuss. That’s one more problem with excluding women’s voices from institutional hierarchy.
                Last edited by Portland Ute; 05-14-2013, 09:18 PM.

Comment

• I've been wearing garments for close to 17 years now.

A couple weeks ago I bought a pair of mesh bottoms. I can't believe it took me 17 years to try these out. I decided to go all in on the mesh and I'll never look back.

I'm 6'2 and I decided to also go with the short ones. They're still not quite like boxers, but it's still a big improvement.
                  Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                    I've been wearing garments for close to 17 years now.

A couple weeks ago I bought a pair of mesh bottoms. I can't believe it took me 17 years to try these out. I decided to go all in on the mesh and I'll never look back.

I'm 6'2 and I decided to also go with the short ones. They're still not quite like boxers, but it's still a big improvement.
                    I've been sporting the mesh bottom/cotton top combo since I first took out my endowments in '94. Recently, my wife has started to complain about being able to see the cotton collar when I'm wearing a polo or button down without the top buttoned. She says that it's out of style and I really need to consider the scoop neck. REALLY?! I'm in need of some insight here. Do they make a crew neck garment yet?
                    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                      I've been sporting the mesh bottom/cotton top combo since I first took out my endowments in '94. Recently, my wife has started to complain about being able to see the cotton collar when I'm wearing a polo or button down without the top buttoned. She says that it's out of style and I really need to consider the scoop neck. REALLY?! I'm in need of some insight here. Do they make a crew neck garment yet?
                      I'm considering getting a couple of mesh tops which are only scoop necks for obvious reasons.

It was the cotton undershirt thing in the 90s that caused me to go with matching cotton tops and bottoms in the first place. This go around I threw matching considerations out the window (why I ever bothered matching in the first place is beyond me). Mesh is a massive improvement over everything else.
                      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

When I was wearing G's I remember wearing a crew neck.
                        Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

I like mesh tops but i get gnarly BO when i wear them with only deodorant. I have to go with anti-persperant which i don't like because it leaves yellow stains. The mesh top doesn't leave visible impressions when i wear t-shirts. Stylistically, scoop necks are the way to go. You can't have an under shirt poking out of your shirt. So if I'm wearing a t-shirt i go mesh top. If I'm not then i go cotton scoop neck.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Your wife is a few years late on her fashion advice, but better late than never. Some of us have been preaching this for years:

http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...ll=1#post81589

http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...l=1#post756964

Even in this very thread:

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                            Crew necks should always be worn under a white shirt (dress or T), but other than that, they should pretty much never be worn.
                            Last edited by Donuthole; 06-06-2013, 12:48 PM.
                            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

Your wife is a few years late on her fashion advice, but better late than never. Some of us have been preaching this for years:

Even in this very thread:
                              You are spot on. I find the eternal smile on any scoop neck other than mesh when I'm wearing a t-shirt as well though. Which is equally as bad. I shy away from white t-shirts because they are often transparent and will show the outline of the mesh scoop neck line. And they yellow from antiperspirant as noted in my previous post.

Comment

• Originally posted by USUC View Post
                                You are spot on. I find the eternal smile on any scoop neck other than mesh when I'm wearing a t-shirt as well though. Which is equally as bad. I shy away from white t-shirts because they are often transparent and will show the outline of the mesh scoop neck line. And they yellow from antiperspirant as noted in my previous post.
                                Yep. I pretty much avoid white and other translucent t-shirts as well.
                                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Working...
                                X